Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Suit filed to keep Trump off the 2024 ballot.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Suit filed to keep Trump off the 2024 ballot.

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:03 am

The 14th amendment clause is cloudy, but could prevent Trump from running.
DENVER (AP) — A liberal group on Wednesday filed a lawsuit to bar former President Donald Trump from the primary ballot in Colorado, arguing he is ineligible to run for the White House again under a rarely used clause in the U.S. Constitution aimed at candidates who have supported an “insurrection.”

The lawsuit, citing the 14th Amendment, is likely the initial step in a legal challenge that seems destined for the U.S. Supreme Court. The complaint was filed on behalf of six Republican and unaffiliated Colorado voters by the group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

It will jolt an already unsettled 2024 primary campaign that features the leading Republican candidate facing four separate criminal cases.

Liberal groups have demanded that states’ top election officials bar Trump under the clause that prohibits those who “engaged in an insurrection or rebellion” against the Constitution from holding higher office. None has taken that step, looking for guidance from the courts on how to interpret a clause that has only been used a handful of times since the 1860s.

While a few fringe figures have filed thinly written lawsuits in a few states citing the clause, the litigation Wednesday was the first by an organization with significant legal resources. It may lead to similar challenges in other states, holding out the potential for conflicting rulings that would require the Supreme Court to settle.

Colorado’s secretary of state, Democrat Jena Griswold, said in a statement that she hoped “this case will provide guidance to election officials on Trump’s eligibility as a candidate for office.”

The lawsuit contends the case is clear, given the attempt by then-President Trump to overturn his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden and his support for the assault of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. The Republican has said he did nothing wrong in his actions.

The 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868, helped ensure civil rights for freed slaves — and eventually for all people in the United States. But it also was used to prevent former Confederate officials from becoming members of Congress after the Civil War and taking over the government against which they had just rebelled.

The clause cited in the lawsuit allows Congress to lift the ban, which it did in 1872 as the political will to continue to bar former Confederates dwindled. The provision was almost never used after that.

CREW and law professors of both parties contend the amendment is clear and is a qualification for president, just as the Constitution’s mandate that a candidate for the White House must be at least 35 years old and a natural born citizen.

But others note there is much unsettled about the provision and that a case involving this issue has not reached the justices in Washington.

The clause cites a wide range of offices “under the United States” and states that the provision applies to, including “presidential electors” — but not the presidency itself. There is a debate among some experts about whether Trump’s acts constitute an “insurrection” under the language of the amendment.

In its complaint, CREW asked the court to expedite the matter so it can be resolved before the state’s primary ballot is set on Jan. 5, 2024. “We understand that there’s great interest in states across this country about this question, and it needs to be resolved expeditiously so there’s clarity,” said Donald Sherman, CREW’s chief counsel, told reporters in a teleconference.

A Trump spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the suit.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Re: Suit filed to keep Trump off the 2024 ballot.

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:09 am

The 14th amendment idea would be a disaster. I don't want Trump back in the WH, but that is a nuclear option that should be avoided.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:11 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:09 am
The 14th amendment idea would be a disaster. I don't want Trump back in the WH, but that is a nuclear option that should be avoided.
The lawsuit has started the ball rolling. Let's see what happens.
― Matt

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:17 am

The 14th was written to keep civil and military officers who joined the Confederacy from holding public office.

Wouldn't Trump need to be charged and convicted of insurrection before it would apply? Not one of the counts he is facing in the four indictments come close to charging this much bandied about insurrection because even the leftist loon prosecutors know they couldn't convict.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:42 am

Legal experts on both sides say this is a bad idea.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:31 am

Yet, most things Trump is associated with involves bad ideas.
― Matt

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:39 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:31 am
It wouldn't be a bad idea for both sides of the aisle to get behind this, and kick Trump to the curb.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:41 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:39 am
TC Talks wrote:
It wouldn't be a bad idea for both sides of the aisle to get behind this, and kick Trump to the curb.
Sure sounds like more election interference to me. I thought it was of the utmost importance to let the voters decide.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:50 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:41 am
Round Six wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Sure sounds like more election interference to me. I thought it was of the utmost importance to let the voters decide.
Is taking someone to court election interference? What about threats and violence and all the other nonsense Trump did when that idiot couldn't get his way. This is the proper way to dispute things political.
― Matt

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:11 am

Huckabee opened his show with a monologue that said basically if Trump doesn't win this election there will be violence and bullets not ballots will decide elections after that. If that doesn't wake up normal minded people then nothing will. Th Trump train needs to go the hell away.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:45 am

"The voters should decide."

Isn't that what this is all about? Didn't the voters already decide? And Trump (and his cronies) said, and still says, "nah, screw that." Are we supposed to let this shitslinger's behavior continue in future elections until the man dies? Are we supposed to have this fight forever?

Taco

Post by Taco » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:15 pm

I can't see how any sane person would want that idiot in the oval office again. I think that whichever way it goes, I think it will lead to chaos. His brand of politics have poisoned our country's governmental system and frankly, I don't know if we'll ever recover from it. I think the Republican's are basically giving the Democrats a gift by supporting that idiot. A large majority of American's don't want him again. Can't say the same for his cult followers.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:42 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:41 am
Round Six wrote:
Well, ponder this:
Setting aside whether it would be unfair to Trump, who would have a better chance to beat Biden?
Donald or someone else we have been seeing at the GOP debates?

Myself, I really do think if Haley or Pence, or really anyone up there on that dias was the GOP nominee instead of Trump, it would be a cakewalk defeating the current president. Yet GOP leadership just can't seem to grasp this.
I truly feel that if 2024 is Trump vs. Biden, it will be just as close as it was in 2020.
Which means it's not a sure thing for the GOP. So why not screw Donald and go for the sure thing?

I'm not saying I'm right of course. Just the way I view it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:01 pm

I'm starting to think the only way out of this is a massive coronary.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:58 pm

Pence I will vote for.
He is the only man who stood up to the former president.
That earns him a vote of confidence with me.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic