Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Covid national emergency to end on May 11, two years late

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Covid national emergency to end on May 11, two years late

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:15 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 856510007/

38 months, nearly to the day, was waaaaaay too long.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Re: Covid national emergency to end on May 11, two years late

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 pm

Do you think the issue has gone away?

December 27 2022
The Department of Health and Human Services reported 10,927 new cases of COVID and 110 deaths over the past seven days Tuesday.

During that timeframe, the state averaged about 1,561, a drop from last week’s average of 2,046.

State totals now sit at 2,988,654 cases and 40,767 deaths since the pandemic more than two years ago.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 pm

December 27 2022
The Department of Health and Human Services reported 10,927 new cases of COVID and 110 deaths over the past seven days Tuesday.

During that timeframe, the state averaged about 1,561, a drop from last week’s average of 2,046.

State totals now sit at 2,988,654 cases and 40,767 deaths since the pandemic more than two years ago.
You continue to be king of the self-own:
Weekly COVID-19 cases fell for the fifth straight week, declining 9 percent to 4,586 from 5,026, state officials announced Tuesday.

The state also reported 202 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, including 95 in December, 103 in January and four in November.

COVID-19 hospitalizations declined to 895 on Monday, down from 940 on Friday and down over 500 since reaching a recent high of 1,416 on Jan. 4.

The trends in Michigan mirror those reported across the country despite the rising spread of a new coronavirus variant, dubbed XBB.1.5, which is considered the most transmissible variant yet.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bridge ... -now%3famp

This hasn't been an emergency in years at this point.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 pm

Blood is on your hands for not taking this pandemic seriously as it is for most Republicans with their votes.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:55 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 pm
Blood is on your hands for not taking this pandemic seriously as it is for most Republicans with their votes.
Wrong.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 am

TC Talks wrote:

December 27 2022

The issue is never going away. That was another lie told by government to the citizens in exchange for compliance with their draconian lock downs.

The flu viruses from the 1918 pandemic are still floating around. Should we still have a national emergency in place for that?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 am
TC Talks wrote:

December 27 2022

The issue is never going away. That was another lie told by government to the citizens in exchange for compliance with their draconian lock downs.

The flu viruses from the 1918 pandemic are still floating around. Should we still have a national emergency in place for that?
They modeled the whole thing off of the response in 1918-19. If everything had literally shut down and nobody interacted with each other for a month it would have had nowhere to go. The whole idea was we would get past the transmissible point in everybody’s infection and it would burn itself out. Unfortunately humans are inherently not designed to isolate for a month. We are far too social a species for that sort of thing.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:20 am

When the dollars stop flowing for "covid-related" issues (treatment, vaccine, illness, death, etc), then we'll see a dramatic drop-off in the "covid numbers" that get reported every week/month.

It'll be as vertical a line as you can create.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am
They modeled the whole thing off of the response in 1918-19. If everything had literally shut down and nobody interacted with each other for a month it would have had nowhere to go. The whole idea was we would get past the transmissible point in everybody’s infection and it would burn itself out. Unfortunately humans are inherently not designed to isolate for a month. We are far too social a species for that sort of thing.
There was also a lot of discussion early-on to just isolate those most at risk and let everyone else go ahead with minimal impacts (other than some cursory modifications like more hand-cleaning or isolate if/when you get sick).

Instead, we put the sick people in the elder-care facilities. Who knew THAT was going to be an issue?? DOH!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:37 am

How did the zero-covid policy work out for China? It just delayed it for two years, to point the where government was ready to collapse. They had to let go or face overthrow. Now that they removed the restrictions, they're repeating 2020 all over again.

The whole thing is like squeezing a water ballon. It just pops out somewhere else.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:10 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:37 am
How did the zero-covid policy work out for China? It just delayed it for two years, to point the where government was ready to collapse. They had to let go or face overthrow. Now that they removed the restrictions, they're repeating 2020 all over again.

The whole thing is like squeezing a water ballon. It just pops out somewhere else.
They weren't able to keep everybody inside for a month either. Literally everyone isolates and does not emerge for a month and no maintenance or other needed things are performed on any aspect of society. Short of that it won't work. In a perfect world Humans could do that but we don't live there.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:36 am

If the IHME's modeling is anywhere close to accurate, then ever since Omicron showed up on the scene, Covid has been 46x less deadly than it was during the early days of the pandemic.

As of December, they estimated 330 deaths per 1 million infections. That is a mortality rate of 0.033%. Compare that to the early days of Covid where the estimate was 2300 deaths per 150,000 infections - that is a mortality rate of 1.53%. That is a fall of 46x, meaning the mortality rate is barely 2% what it was in April of 2020.

As such, the emergency declaration should have ended as soon as we had enough data to determine that Omicron was indeed barely worse than a bad flu strain.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend

Also noteworthy is that, and I know I'll continue to take a lot of crap for this, but it is a provable fact, the sharp decline in mortality rate came not in early 2021 when the vaccines showed up or in mid 2021 when vaccine uptake was at its highest, but in early 2022 when the first Omicron wave hit. Omicron - a natural evolution of the virus, did far more to blunt the pandemic than anything man tried to do.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:55 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:36 am
If the IHME's modeling is anywhere close to accurate, then ever since Omicron showed up on the scene, Covid has been 46x less deadly than it was during the early days of the pandemic.

As of December, they estimated 330 deaths per 1 million infections. That is a mortality rate of 0.033%. Compare that to the early days of Covid where the estimate was 2300 deaths per 150,000 infections - that is a mortality rate of 1.53%. That is a fall of 46x, meaning the mortality rate is barely 2% what it was in April of 2020.

As such, the emergency declaration should have ended as soon as we had enough data to determine that Omicron was indeed barely worse than a bad flu strain.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend

Also noteworthy is that, and I know I'll continue to take a lot of crap for this, but it is a provable fact, the sharp decline in mortality rate came not in early 2021 when the vaccines showed up or in mid 2021 when vaccine uptake was at its highest, but in early 2022 when the first Omicron wave hit. Omicron - a natural evolution of the virus, did far more to blunt the pandemic than anything man tried to do.
If we had universal vaccination, it would have blunted the pandemic. Instead, we had too many "internet researchers/scientists."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:38 am

My kids had Covid before I was eligible for the vaccine, I felt a little off for a day after living in modest house with a shared bathroom. A few months later, I had a one-day fever, and I lost my sense smell for months after a dental cleaning appointment.

After that I decided at that I was immune.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:38 am
My kids had Covid before I was eligible for the vaccine, I felt a little off for a day after living in modest house with a shared bathroom. A few months later, I had a one-day fever, and I lost my sense smell for months after a dental cleaning appointment.

After that I decided at that I was immune.
Well... if you catch it again then you'll decide you aren't immune after all?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic