Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Marijuana use may cause memory problems that linger for weeks

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Marijuana use may cause memory problems that linger for weeks

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:55 am

Stoner was an appropriately picked name for users. It toasts your memory.

The bashing of Smokers and the uplifting of Tokers in the form of state-sponsored taxation was a bad idea as it brought it into the mainstream (IE government endorsement of it).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... d=msedgntp

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Honeyman

Re: Marijuana use may cause memory problems that linger for weeks

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:18 am

I disagree with this study because.......

......I forgot my point.
The censorship king from out of state.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:32 am

LOL
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:15 pm

It's necessary to point out the difference between heavy recreational use and medicinal use. Apples and oranges.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:55 am
Stoner was an appropriately picked name for users. It toasts your memory.

The bashing of Smokers and the uplifting of Tokers in the form of state-sponsored taxation was a bad idea as it brought it into the mainstream (IE government endorsement of it).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... d=msedgntp
Since audio is basically a biaspost machine, I decided to go look at the actual study where these results were published that was linked in the article posted to understand them a bit better because frankly, I am no longer convinced that audio is able to make judgements without his agenda clouding his mind. I'd rather go to the source if I can rather than read some reporter's takes. Fun fact, the author is Linda Carroll, the birthmother of Courtney Love, ex-wife of Kurt Cobain.

The study was a meta-analysis of dozens of other studies. I like meta-analyses! They looked at the influence of pot on several different things, but the findings related to pot and memory are interesting. I will snip the discussion out and post it below.

What you see is that the significance of the findings from studies found to be low-to-moderate quality, and where there was heterogeneity present become insignificant in studies where there is moderate quality and a lack of heterogeneity. Basically, it seems that there is a very small impact on memory in the short-term. In either case, pot doesn't seem to "toast" memories so much as being a possible source of an insignificant, temporary disruption.

Basically, the bible does more damage to critical thinking than pot does to memory! I won't hold my breath waiting for audio to bemoan the state-sponsored taxation approach to the church, though.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:51 am

The article is directly linked from NBC/MSN (the owner of MSNBC).

Your debate seems to center my use of the word "toast", but that is just semantics.

Apparently, you forgot the subject line "Marijuana use may cause memory problems that linger for weeks". Now THAT is short-term memory loss! :lol

There were around 30 stoners that flunked out of my school in one year, taking the graduating class from 150 to about 120 students.

I really don't need study to know that it is harmful, I saw it happen in real time.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:44 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:51 am

Your debate seems to center my use of the word "toast", but that is just semantics.

Apparently, you forgot the subject line "Marijuana use may cause memory problems that linger for weeks". Now THAT is short-term memory loss! :lol

There were around 30 stoners that flunked out of my school in one year, taking the graduating class from 150 to about 120 students.

I really don't need study to know that it is harmful, I saw it happen in real time.
That may be the KIND of people that are stoners and not the marijuana itself.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:31 pm

audiophile wrote:

I will try to simplify it a bit.

The findings indicated that with greater research quality and the elimination of heterogeneity, the relationship between memory loss and weed was insignificant. You're bleating about how since weed causes memory loss, the gov't should not decriminalize it. I am saying that based on the findings, your position isn't valid because the impact appears to be so small that changes in research design that improve the quality of the study result in insignificant findings. Why it matters that NBC, MSNBC, etc reported on this study confuses me because the findings are the findings.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:36 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:44 am
audiophile wrote:

That may be the KIND of people that are stoners and not the marijuana itself.
At my school, all the dramakids would get together and smoke pot. Every single one of them graduated and a lot of them were in Honors classes.

I find it interesting that the potheads in audio's school were the ones who were solely responsible for reducing the graduating class from 150 to 120.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 pm

A lot of us over 30 have memory problems that last for weeks, too. And we are not stoned. Can we? gain back some of out memory

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic