Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 7:45p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why we can't advance as a society

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by km1125 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 pm

"no reason"??? He was fighting two cops, who were trying to arrest him on an outstanding warrant for a gun crime.



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5002
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Bryce » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Bidengirl wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm
Yet again, in Minnesota, we've got a cop that killed a black person for no reason.

"No reason" is horse pucky...

He was pulled over and found to have an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June.

He then resisted the attempted arrest for the outstanding warrant, struggled with officers, and tried to flee in an automobile. An automobile that can be used as a deadly weapon. If he had NOT done any of those things, he'd be alive today.

Did the female officer make an egregious mistake? Absolutely! Is Mr. Wright partly responsible for his death? Again, absolutely.


BLM - Buying Large Mansions

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 2403
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Honeyman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm

Jesus Christ....lovinlife is the closest voice of reason in this thread.


LMAO...............so says ............... YOU!

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5002
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Bryce » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm
Jesus Christ....lovinlife is the closest voice of reason in this thread.
I think not.

Was there anything I wrote that isn't true? I'm not letting them get away with another "hands up don't shoot" false narrative.


BLM - Buying Large Mansions

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 2403
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Honeyman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 pm



LMAO...............so says ............... YOU!

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5002
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Bryce » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Google leaves out some rather pertinent information. Imagine that? The following is backed up by body cam footage.
Officers pulled Mr. Wright over on Sunday afternoon for a traffic violation related to expired registration tags. Officers then discovered that he had a warrant for his arrest.

As the police tried to detain Mr. Wright, he stepped back into his car, prompting a brief struggle with officers, Chief Gannon said.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/daunte- ... gin-google

I wonder how much training this female officer had before she was sent out into the field? Was she fast tracked? Did the city want more diversity in a hurry?

Do you want cops that know the difference between a gun and a taser? Then don't defund the police you morons..



BLM - Buying Large Mansions

User avatar
Rate This
Posts: 8586
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm
Google leaves out some rather pertinent information. Imagine that? The following is backed up by body cam footage.
Officers pulled Mr. Wright over on Sunday afternoon for a traffic violation related to expired registration tags. Officers then discovered that he had a warrant for his arrest.

As the police tried to detain Mr. Wright, he stepped back into his car, prompting a brief struggle with officers, Chief Gannon said.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/daunte- ... gin-google

I wonder how much training this female officer had before she was sent out into the field? Was she fast tracked? Did the city want more diversity in a hurry?

Do you want cops that know the difference between a gun and a taser? Then don't defund the police you morons..

Or it could be high pressure and she grabbed the wrong weapon. She’s human. There’s a degree of error that comes with that state of being. Everybody assumes everyone is calm cool and collected 100% of the time in their jobs for some reason. The universe doesn’t function that way.



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm
Google leaves out some rather pertinent information. Imagine that? The following is backed up by body cam footage.
Officers pulled Mr. Wright over on Sunday afternoon for a traffic violation related to expired registration tags. Officers then discovered that he had a warrant for his arrest.

As the police tried to detain Mr. Wright, he stepped back into his car, prompting a brief struggle with officers, Chief Gannon said.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/daunte- ... gin-google

I wonder how much training this female officer had before she was sent out into the field? Was she fast tracked? Did the city want more diversity in a hurry?

Do you want cops that know the difference between a gun and a taser? Then don't defund the police you morons..

The cop that did the shooting was a 26 year veteran of the force, so tell me, how much training is required to knock the stupid out of someone?



User avatar
bmw
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 pm

So as far as the media is concerned, the mantra is "ONLY black lives matter."

Because this wouldn't make anything more than the local news if the victim had been white. And if the officer was black and the victim white, there wouldn't be white people out rioting in the streets.
Rate This wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 pm
it could be high pressure and she grabbed the wrong weapon. She’s human. There’s a degree of error that comes with that state of being. Everybody assumes everyone is calm cool and collected 100% of the time in their jobs for some reason. The universe doesn’t function that way.
This is the most likely explanation.



zzand
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 am

Th Tazer carried by local LEO's look a lot like sidearms. A redesign needs to happen so an officer in a high pressure situation knows which weapon they are drawing. The fact the Police have been transparent on this is a good sign. A tragic accident but an accident none the less. The suspect didn't help matters by fighting back. That fact will be lost in all this. Due process needs to play out but in the end that won't matter much to the innocent business owners hurt by all this.



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5002
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 pm
The cop that did the shooting was a 26 year veteran of the force,

That information was released after I made my post. A good example of how jumping to conclusions prior to obtaining all the information is a bad idea. I'm Guilty.
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 pm
so tell me, how much training is required to knock the stupid out of someone?
Evidently, more than she received on a regular basis. From the body cam footage, it appears that Officer Potter had a Glock 17, maybe a 23, in her hand. A fully loaded Glock 17 weights about 33 oz. A taser on the other hand weighs about 9 oz. (big weight difference there) There is also a considerable difference in grip feel between the two, Seems like a mistake a rookie without enough training could make and not one a 25-year veteran with ongoing training should.

A few questions come to mind. Most departments require a LTL to be carried on the opposite side of the firearm. This would require a cross draw for the LTL instead of a strong side draw for the firearm. For the short period of time I carried a LTL, I had it mounted on my tactical vest in the middle of my chest with my firearm on my belt. It isn't possible to tell where officer potter carried her LTL from the body cam footage. I would like to know exactly where she carried it and what the department policy is.

Most departments also require ongoing taser training. Some quarterly, some twice per year. When was the last time Officer Potter re-certified?

Does the department have ongoing hand to hand combat training? It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback here, but it appeared to me to be two opportunities to restrain or take Mr. Wright down without using even a taser.

Another thing to consider is, during the body cam footage, you can hear an officer yell "Warrant." Were the officers aware of the particulars of the warrant and the fact that it involved carrying an unlicensed firearm? Could that possibly lead the officers to believe there might be a gun on his person now? Was he getting into the car to retrieve it?

This was a horrific mistake, no doubt about it. One that is impossible to excuse. In my opinion, from the information available so far, Officer Potter shouldn't be charged criminally, but she should certainly be relieved of duty permanently. Lets also keep in mind that if Mr. Wright would have complied with officers commands, as he should have, this would not have happened.

Now, i must ask, what exactly did Dollar Tree and the various other businesses that were looted and sustained property damage during the ensuing riot have to do with Mr. Wright being killed? The people participating in the rioting and looting certainly don't appear to have the "advancement of society" as their main goal.


BLM - Buying Large Mansions

User avatar
Rate This
Posts: 8586
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:49 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 pm
The cop that did the shooting was a 26 year veteran of the force,

That information was released after I made my post. A good example of how jumping to conclusions prior to obtaining all the information is a bad idea. I'm Guilty.
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 pm
so tell me, how much training is required to knock the stupid out of someone?
Evidently, more than she received on a regular basis. From the body cam footage, it appears that Officer Potter had a Glock 17, maybe a 23, in her hand. A fully loaded Glock 17 weights about 33 oz. A taser on the other hand weighs about 9 oz. (big weight difference there) There is also a considerable difference in grip feel between the two, Seems like a mistake a rookie without enough training could make and not one a 25-year veteran with ongoing training should.

A few questions come to mind. Most departments require a LTL to be carried on the opposite side of the firearm. This would require a cross draw for the LTL instead of a strong side draw for the firearm. For the short period of time I carried a LTL, I had it mounted on my tactical vest in the middle of my chest with my firearm on my belt. It isn't possible to tell where officer potter carried her LTL from the body cam footage. I would like to know exactly where she carried it and what the department policy is.

Most departments also require ongoing taser training. Some quarterly, some twice per year. When was the last time Officer Potter re-certified?

Does the department have ongoing hand to hand combat training? It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback here, but it appeared to me to be two opportunities to restrain or take Mr. Wright down without using even a taser.

Another thing to consider is, during the body cam footage, you can hear an officer yell "Warrant." Were the officers aware of the particulars of the warrant and the fact that it involved carrying an unlicensed firearm? Could that possibly lead the officers to believe there might be a gun on his person now? Was he getting into the car to retrieve it?

This was a horrific mistake, no doubt about it. One that is impossible to excuse. In my opinion, from the information available so far, Officer Potter shouldn't be charged criminally, but she should certainly be relieved of duty permanently. Lets also keep in mind that if Mr. Wright would have complied with officers commands, as he should have, this would not have happened.

Now, i must ask, what exactly did Dollar Tree and the various other businesses that were looted and sustained property damage during the ensuing riot have to do with Mr. Wright being killed? The people participating in the rioting and looting certainly don't appear to have the "advancement of society" as their main goal.
They have opportunity and copy catting in mind.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm

Hate to say it, but I agree with trollin life.


My mom taught me an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's too bad Repubes don't believe in prevention for COVID, but they can deny someone water waiting in a line to vote.

km1125
Posts: 1800
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by km1125 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:16 pm

zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 am
Th Tazer carried by local LEO's look a lot like sidearms. A redesign needs to happen so an officer in a high pressure situation knows which weapon they are drawing. The fact the Police have been transparent on this is a good sign. A tragic accident but an accident none the less. The suspect didn't help matters by fighting back. That fact will be lost in all this. Due process needs to play out but in the end that won't matter much to the innocent business owners hurt by all this.
You also have to recognize the the officer was trained to use their service weapon for ~26 years. Yet the taser is a relatively new deployment. How long have they had them issued there... perhaps 2 or 3 years??

It's one thing to train folks to use new equipment. It's entirely different to try and "unlearn" patterns that you've practiced DECADES on.

Another thing. What if good ol' Daunte did actually have a gun and was able to get to it when he jumped back in the car? What if the officer grabber her taser instead of her gun?? THREE folks would be put at FATAL risk in that case.

Sorry this happened and Daunte didn't have to die. He wouldn't have if he didn't initiate the fight and put everyone at risk.



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:49 pm

TASERS were developed in the mid-70's and have been widely deployed since at least the early 90's, in other words over the duration of the officer's entire career.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic