Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"There's no Middle Ground" ???

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: "There's no Middle Ground" ???

Post by Rate This » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:12 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:10 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:59 pm
km1125 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Have you ever really listened to a liberal??
I am one. I come from a family of them. Most of my friends are liberals. I’ve met whackos on both sides who want to do weird things. But the vast majority of people on both sides do not want anything completely insane to happen. Liberals generally are no exception to that.

Can you say you’ve immersed yourself first hand in somewhere like Ann Arbor and befriended a whole bunch of liberal folks to see what makes them tick?
Yes, to the point that it's nauseating. I've worked for a couple companies where the majority were liberals. It gets pretty bad during an election cycle. I have immediate family members as well who are very liberal, and one served as the local head o the Democratic Party for a while.

ALL liberals are Democrats, but not all Democrats are liberals (but most are).

Apparently your definition of "insane" is divorced from reality.
So most of them want completely insane things? Can you be specific?

Getoffmylawn

Post by Getoffmylawn » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 am

This isn't a "stereotypical" Democrat. This is Joe Biden.
Again, I'm not saying can't be critical of Biden. There is plenty there to be critical of. But at the same time, look at the portrait of the stereotypical Republican. Can you honestly say that Trump doesn't check off any of those boxes? And consequently, couldn't a Democrat make the exact same argument you are over a different set of characteristics?

And honestly, it gets away from my original point. Both sides have a history of painting the other with overly broad strokes. While some of the stereotypes may be have a very real and valid basis, to assume that every single supporter of the other guy is of exactly the same mind on all of those points oversimplifies things to a point where instead of a disagreement that could (unlikely, I know) potentially change someone's way of thinking, all we get is a bunch of reciprocated name calling.

That's just my 2 cents.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Getoffmylawn wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:40 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 am

This isn't a "stereotypical" Democrat. This is Joe Biden.
Again, I'm not saying can't be critical of Biden. There is plenty there to be critical of. But at the same time, look at the portrait of the stereotypical Republican. Can you honestly say that Trump doesn't check off any of those boxes? And consequently, couldn't a Democrat make the exact same argument you are over a different set of characteristics?

And honestly, it gets away from my original point. Both sides have a history of painting the other with overly broad strokes. While some of the stereotypes may be have a very real and valid basis, to assume that every single supporter of the other guy is of exactly the same mind on all of those points oversimplifies things to a point where instead of a disagreement that could (unlikely, I know) potentially change someone's way of thinking, all we get is a bunch of reciprocated name calling.

That's just my 2 cents.
And you would be generally correct.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic