Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

College Basketball 23-24

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: College Basketball 23-24

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:30 pm

Well, that sucks. :? :evil:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:31 pm

One of the worst losses in Spartan history. Not that this team was gonna survive the 1st weekend of the tournament, but now we won't make it. Streak is over. Blowing a 12 point lead at home to an interim coached shitty squad without its 2nd best player is beyond inexcusable.
The censorship king from out of state.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:41 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:31 pm
One of the worst losses in Spartan history. Not that this team was gonna survive the 1st weekend of the tournament, but now we won't make it. Streak is over. Blowing a 12 point lead at home to an interim coached shitty squad without its 2nd best player is beyond inexcusable.
That was rough, and if tournament bids were determined solely on regular season performance, I'd agree that State is out — BUT, the conference tournament still carries a lot of weight. Unless MSU goes one-and-done in the B1G tournament, I could still see them nabbing a "First Four" play-in seed.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:54 pm

Bull Shannon wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:41 pm
Honeyman wrote:
That was rough, and if tournament bids were determined solely on regular season performance, I'd agree that State is out — BUT, the conference tournament still carries a lot of weight. Unless MSU goes one-and-done in the B1G tournament, I could still see them nabbing a "First Four" play-in seed.
Purdue will destroy them on Saturday. NW at home and at Indiana on Senior Day are toss ups with this shit squad. Maybe a win in the BTT depending on who we play. Adds up to NIT. Disgraceful.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:07 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Izzo is the GOAT, but that loss really got me thinking it may be time for succession planning. There hasn't been a true Izzo team in several years. The fire is gone with these teams. Another top 5 ranked pre-season team that will finish in mediocrity.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:22 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:07 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Izzo is the GOAT, but that loss really got me thinking it may be time for succession planning. There hasn't been a true Izzo team in several years. The fire is gone with these teams. Another top 5 ranked pre-season team that will finish in mediocrity.
Yep, I've had a lot of issues with Tom lately. Where was Booker the last 15 minutes yesterday? Playing Mady and Cooper together? You know there is an unused scholarship still on this team? Like there was nobody in the portal that could help this team? Why dies he refuse to use it considering Walker and Hauser are our 2 best players in the past 3 years?

This feels like Dantonios last year or two. The game is passing him by.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:22 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Yep, I've had a lot of issues with Tom lately. Where was Booker the last 15 minutes yesterday? Playing Mady and Cooper together? You know there is an unused scholarship still on this team? Like there was nobody in the portal that could help this team? Why dies he refuse to use it considering Walker and Hauser are our 2 best players in the past 3 years?

Agreed. I've been holding out hope that he had one more run in him, but I'm not seeing it. He's pretty much the only stable force at MSU at the moment, the glue that's kept things together from all the leadership incompetence, but it may be getting to be time.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:50 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:

Agreed. I've been holding out hope that he had one more run in him, but I'm not seeing it. He's pretty much the only stable force at MSU at the moment, the glue that's kept things together from all the leadership incompetence, but it may be getting to be time.
We're a hockey school.

Very possible Oakland is the only school from Michigan to make the NCAA tournament.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:54 pm

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:03 pm

Two losses to Rutgers in one season, including one by 30 points. Pathetic.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:57 am

1-11 record in the past 12 contests for the Wolverines.

Juwan Howard cannot be sent packing soon enough for my liking!

Michigan has clinched sole possession of dead last in the Big Ten for the regular season. According to 950 WWJ, the last time that happened was in the 1960s (I forget the exact year).
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:

The 2019-20 team had the potential to make a deep run in the tournament, but then the pandemic hit.

I've also been hoping that he will make at least one more solid run before he retires, but it feels like it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

Who knows what sort of succession plans/discussions have been taking place behind closed doors, but if MSU misses the tournament entirely this year, I think those conversations will start ramping up. He's had a successful enough career he should be able to retire on his own terms, and MSU should be given enough time to find the *right* person to fill Izzo's shoes when that time comes.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:57 am
1-11 record in the past 12 contests for the Wolverines.

Juwan Howard cannot be sent packing soon enough for my liking!

Michigan has clinched sole possession of dead last in the Big Ten for the regular season. According to 950 WWJ, the last time that happened was in the 1960s (I forget the exact year).
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 810668007/

So Michigan lets Sanderson get away, when they probably could have fired that putz Juwan and maybe salvaged the relationship. So now they lose a seemingly popular trainer due to Juwan, only to turn around and most likely fire him in a couple weeks.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 pm

Bull Shannon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:

The 2019-20 team had the potential to make a deep run in the tournament, but then the pandemic hit.

I've also been hoping that he will make at least one more solid run before he retires, but it feels like it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

Who knows what sort of succession plans/discussions have been taking place behind closed doors, but if MSU misses the tournament entirely this year, I think those conversations will start ramping up. He's had a successful enough career he should be able to retire on his own terms, and MSU should be given enough time to find the *right* person to fill Izzo's shoes when that time comes.
I would say that they would allow Izzo to name his successor, similar to when Jud retired. However, I don't see any of his assistant coaches being prime candidates to taking over.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:19 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 pm
Bull Shannon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
Honeyman wrote:

I would say that they would allow Izzo to name his successor, similar to when Jud retired. However, I don't see any of his assistant coaches being prime candidates to taking over.
Fair, but Izzo's been around long enough that there are plenty of his former assistants that have built up their own head coaching careers who he could contact and be like "so, I'm gonna retire, you interested?" and go from there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic