Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan sign stealing scandal

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Re: Michigan sign stealing scandal

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:10 pm

Some relevant 10 year old content: Playing Detective in Finding Films of Opponents https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/spor ... roid-share
But not completely. Last season, Michigan State accused Ohio State of editing its tapes to exclude some movement before the snap. Neither program allowed its video coordinator to comment.
Matt Rhule on sign stealing: https://www.on3.com/college/nebraska-co ... all-coach/

Deion Sanders: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -the-game/

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:20 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:06 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:56 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:17 pm
Sign/signal stealing happens all of the time. Are you insinuating that this caused Michigan to dominate a soft OSU in the trenches?
But I do question the character of the head coach and the program. The earlier shenanigans of Harbaugh which led to a suspension, Mazi Smiths non-suspension, Donovan Edwards, etc. They consistently bend/break the rules.
This is bullshit. Michigan has 💯 NOT "consistently bent/broken the rules." You wouldn't believe this if this were happening at Colorado State and you know it.
They have a statue of a rape enabler in front of a football building named after him.

....and you would be screaming bloody murder if this shit were happening at OSU.
This stuff is happening at OSU and other places. I had another post where I stated that. Deion makes a great point - you still have to stop the other team. Interesting how you always feel the need to bring in a dead man who was never able to defend himself...
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:20 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:06 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:56 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:17 pm
Sign/signal stealing happens all of the time. Are you insinuating that this caused Michigan to dominate a soft OSU in the trenches?
But I do question the character of the head coach and the program. The earlier shenanigans of Harbaugh which led to a suspension, Mazi Smiths non-suspension, Donovan Edwards, etc. They consistently bend/break the rules.
This is bullshit. Michigan has 💯 NOT "consistently bent/broken the rules." You wouldn't believe this if this were happening at Colorado State and you know it.
They have a statue of a rape enabler in front of a football building named after him.

....and you would be screaming bloody murder if this shit were happening at OSU.
This stuff is happening at OSU and other places. I had another post where I stated that. Deion makes a great point - you still have to stop the other team. Interesting how you always feel the need to bring in a dead man who was never able to defend himself...
Again IT IS NOT HAPPENING at this level anywhere else. Or at least nobody has been caught like Michigan has.

As far as rape enabler Bo is concerned, virtually every other Michigan fan on this site outside of yourself has condemned his actions. Not to mention hundreds of former Michigan players. I don't doubt your devotion to your football team, just your objectivity. Your defending this latest scandal is another example.
The censorship king from out of state.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:50 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:18 pm
Decent recap of a lot of the evidence out there:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/the-big- ... an-in-2022

Why is a "low-level staffer" interacting with the Michigan DC when OSU has the ball, and the OC when Michigan is on offense?
OSU changed their signals BEFORE their ass-beating last year. It's infuriating the effort some are taking to discredit this team.
Equally infuriating is the lengths Michigan fan goes to constantly justify/defend/deflect. Michigan fan was gleeful over the Nassar case, but ignores Bo. Michigan fan was "outraged" over Hitler on the scoreboard, but not a word about their player tweeting anti-semitic tweets. Michigan fan doesn't believe their team has legitimately lost a game in years. Michigan fan believes it was ok that Harbaugh lied to the NCAA because "it was just a hamburger". Michigan fan believes its ok that Harbaugh may have cheated by obtaining signs illegally, because the other teams weren't smart enough to change up their signs. Michigan fan believes it's ok to win at any cost, because "the team, the team, the team".

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:31 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Again IT IS NOT HAPPENING at this level anywhere else. Or at least nobody has been caught like Michigan has.

To be accurate until a few days ago nobody thought it was happening at all.
So the truth is one team has been caught as of now. Maybe they are the one and only maybe not.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:34 pm

It's always something with this guy and his staff. For all the time spent talking about "integrity" and "we're gonna do things the RIGHT way here because this is the University of Michigan!!" and "Harbaugh drinks milk so he'd never do anything wrong!!", there's always some shit going down. Do I think this whole sign-stealing thing is a big deal? Hell no. It's a dopey NCAA rule that these guys saw a loophole in and thought they could exploit. But they got caught.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:23 pm

If this is what it looks like, that breaks my heart. I've waited SO long for Michigan football to start kicking ass again and as soon as they do, they do this. I really hope it isn't what it looks like, though.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:40 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:23 pm
If this is what it looks like, that breaks my heart. I've waited SO long for Michigan football to start kicking ass again and as soon as they do, they do this. I really hope it isn't what it looks like, though.
It isn't. Don't let ANYONE take the enjoyment out of this team or this season. Have patience - everything will fully come to light.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 pm

Matt wrote:
This stuff is happening at OSU and other places...
I gotta say after all the crap Matt gives in the politics forum that it is kinda funny sitting here watching him play the what-about-ism game here.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 pm

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 pm
Matt wrote:
This stuff is happening at OSU and other places...
I gotta say after all the crap Matt gives in the politics forum that it is kinda funny sitting here watching him play the what-about-ism game here.
It's not Whataboutism - you'll see soon.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:58 pm

So here is the gist of the whole thing: a low-level staffer with a military background (and who's been around the program since the Hoke years) finds a way around a rule that was instituted to save money in 1994 and works his way up to a job in the program. He has a military skill set, well-trained in studying opposition tendencies. It's not a stretch to think the kid took initiative and wasn't fully forthcoming with his method.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:04 pm

Some of these so-called journalists are clinging to 1994, like osu fan BMW clings to Gingrich's contract with America.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:42 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:58 pm
So here is the gist of the whole thing: a low-level staffer with a military background (and who's been around the program since the Hoke years) finds a way around a rule that was instituted to save money in 1994 and works his way up to a job in the program. He has a military skill set, well-trained in studying opposition tendencies. It's not a stretch to think the kid took initiative and wasn't fully forthcoming with his method.
But I think it's an enormous stretch to think that nobody knew what was going on with this guy. I find it hard to believe that a "rogue low-level staffer" would keep a paper trail like that if he wasn't getting reimbursed for buying tickets (and he had to go to the secondary market for a lot of them). Look, it's not like they're gonna get a fucking SMU death sentence out of this but the narrative that there wasn't a single staff member that knew what was going down is crazy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:42 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:58 pm
But I think it's an enormous stretch to think that nobody knew what was going on with this guy. I find it hard to believe that a "rogue low-level staffer" would keep a paper trail like that if he wasn't getting reimbursed for buying tickets (and he had to go to the secondary market for a lot of them). Look, it's not like they're gonna get a fucking SMU death sentence out of this but the narrative that there wasn't a single staff member that knew what was going down is crazy.
I think it is important to make a distinction between what this guy was able to do and what his method of obtaining his source material was. Again, my official position is that I think the rule is outdated, but Michigan might not have even broken the archaic rule. If he sought university reimbursement, he would have completed an expense report. In theory, the approver should have raised the question to the employee IF reimbursement was requested. The expense approver would have been the direct supervisor or a designated AD/football staffer. The next step would be a final review in the accounts payable department, separate from athletics.

Also, this: https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/171 ... lTQlg&s=19

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic