Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan leadership continues to embarrass itself after Shemy Schembechler mess

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Michigan leadership continues to embarrass itself after Shemy Schembechler mess

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 22, 2023 12:14 pm

By Chris Vannini

Reset the “Days without embarrassment for Michigan athletics” counter back to zero.

Saturday night, Michigan confirmed the resignation of Glenn “Shemy” Schembechler, who had been hired just days earlier as an assistant director of recruiting after years as an NFL scout. The reason was scores of racist and offensive likes on his Twitter account, which were shared publicly by other Twitter users immediately upon his hiring.

It’s yet another controversy in Ann Arbor, one of several over the past year that span from a sexual abuse scandal to bullying in the hockey program to the actions of various players and coaches. But this one was the easiest to avoid and makes one question what the people in charge were thinking. It’s not hard to find someone’s Twitter likes.

Among the tweets “liked” by Schembechler included one claim that slavery and Jim Crow laws were good for Black people, one tweet that compared a member of Congress to an African tribe, many transphobic comments and numerous political conspiracies involving the Black Lives Matter movement and the election.

After the initial reveal of screenshots, someone went through the account to attempt to remove some of the likes. It wasn’t enough to save his job. The account was disabled Saturday.

Whether or not Schembechler was to have a player-facing recruiting role or an analytical role, having someone who interacts with the notion that slavery was good around a team full of Black players cannot happen. Will Harbaugh feel any need to address that with his team? (The same question goes for the Las Vegas Raiders, who employed Schembechler for four years before firing him in February).

Schembechler released a lengthy statement on Sunday night in which he said he “inexplicably and irresponsibly” liked the posts. It was a well-written apology distributed through a P.R. group. It just didn’t square at all with the Twitter activity that went back months. The fact he needed to clarify in the statement that Jim Crow laws were bad kind of says it all.

There are only a few potential explanations for how this happened, and all of them are inexcusable for Michigan:

The school did a background check and didn’t discover the likes, which makes for a terrible background check.
The school did a background check, found the likes and hired him anyway.
The school didn’t do a background check and let Jim Harbaugh hire whoever he wanted.
No matter the answer, it’s another embarrassing moment for Michigan. Especially because Schembechler’s extreme and inflammatory political beliefs were not a secret to many who followed Michigan football closely.

“We are aware of some comments and likes on social media that have caused concern and pain for individuals in our community,” Harbaugh and athletic director Warde Manuel said in a joint statement. “Michigan Athletics is fully committed to a place where our coaches, staff and student-athletes feel welcome and where we fully support the University’s and Athletic Department’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.”

That’s not an apology nor acknowledgment of error on the part of Michigan, and Schembechler was even given the grace of it being labeled a “resignation.”

Separate from the appalling social media activity, hiring Bo Schembechler’s son in the first place was an insult to the hundreds of former Michigan athletes who came forward in recent years alleging sexual abuse by former team doctor Robert Anderson. Many of those players claimed Bo and athletic director Don Canham knew of Anderson’s behavior and didn’t stop it.

One of those survivors who alleged abuse by Anderson and knowledge by Bo was Matt Schembechler, Bo’s adopted son and Shemy’s stepbrother. Shemy was among those who defended his father.

The Anderson scandal resulted in a $490 million settlement between the school and more than 1,000 survivors last September.

Other than the settlement money, there has been little to no attempt to further amend for the past. The Michigan football building is still named Schembechler Hall. The statue of Bo still stands. Both are symbols of defiance, that Michigan’s winning history matters most, that Bo’s ultimate legacy cannot be tainted and that the former Bo players who currently lead the football team and the athletic department don’t believe that should change.

Harbaugh and Manuel continued to praise Bo amid the Anderson scandal’s unfolding. Manuel spoke of Bo’s “integrity” and “belief in doing things the right way” in 2022, while adding, “We are all fallible.” Harbaugh said in 2021, following allegations against Bo, that his former coach would never have looked the other way about it.

That comment from Harbaugh led one of his teammates, Gilvanni Johnson, to come forward to say he had also told Bo about abuse from Anderson. Johnson played with Harbaugh at Michigan from 1983 to 1986 and said it was a common joke among players to refer to Anderson as “Dr. Anal.” Johnson said he was worried he’d lose his scholarship if he brought it up to Bo a second time.

Michigan’s leadership hoped everyone upset with the continued honoring of Bo would simply move on and forget about it. Many did. Until Harbaugh’s haughtiness led him to bring another Schembechler back into the building. Had the social media likes not been discovered, Michigan football would continue to move forward in hopes of everyone remembering Bo for his Big Ten championships and his slogans.

And again, this is just the latest in a string of embarrassments and scandals around Michigan athletics in the last year.

The Shemy Schembechler affair comes less than a year after Michigan parted ways with hockey coach Mel Pearson following numerous allegations of a toxic culture that included mistreating women, bullying and retaliating against players, and violating COVID-19 safety protocols.

After the school hired a new coach, Pearson was still allowed to attend Michigan hockey games, where he could watch those same players he bullied. He was interviewed from the stands on the Big Ten Network during a game, something the athletic department said it was unaware would happen and would be addressed with the broadcast.

In October, running back Donovan Edwards retweeted an anti-Semitic tweet involving a Kanye West clip. Edwards later apologized and claimed it was a “glitch.” University regent Jordan Acker said Edwards and the team would visit a Holocaust museum.

In December, it was discovered that defensive tackle Mazi Smith had been charged with a gun felony in October during a traffic stop for speeding. Michigan defended its decision not to suspend Smith, even as Harbaugh had called for criminal charges for Michigan State players following the stadium tunnel fight. The shooting of multiple Virginia football players in November also highlighted the seriousness of the issue. Smith’s charge was reduced to a misdemeanor in a plea deal.

And in January, Michigan received a draft of a Notice of Allegations for potential NCAA recruiting violations, including a Level I violation against Harbaugh. That same month, co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss was fired for “computer access crimes,” which included inappropriately accessing computer accounts belonging to other people.

These situations are not all equal in their level of seriousness, but they continue a pattern of controversy.

The past few years have been a return to glory for Michigan football, coming off consecutive College Football Playoff appearances, Big Ten championships and wins against Ohio State. Even as Harbaugh has flirted with the NFL twice in two years — the second time notably led his president to make public statements while Manuel did not — Harbaugh has remained and the Wolverines could be a national championship favorite this fall.

But leadership around the program and department continues to fall short in certain areas, leading to these troubling moments. Harbaugh or Manuel will at some point be asked publicly about the decision to hire Shemy Schembechler. There is no good answer as to how and why it happened.

Whether the lack of awareness of Schembechler’s social media was accidental or willful ignorance, either option is a horrible look, and it continues to project the image that maintaining the Bo Schembechler legacy is worth any pain and embarrassment that comes with it.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Michigan leadership continues to embarrass itself after Shemy Schembechler mess

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 22, 2023 12:30 pm

I agree with the general premise of the article, although I don't think Glenn should be held responsible for the actions or inactions of his father.

That said, Glenn sounds like a piece of work. It is the job of the A.D. and his support staff to thoroughly vet potential hires, especially for important positions, and the athletic department failed miserably here.

This is yet another incident where Warde Manuel and the Michigan "brand" have egg on their face.

Manuel should've already been fired for his handling of the Mel Pearson situation.

Honeyman

Re: Michigan leadership continues to embarrass itself after Shemy Schembechler mess

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 22, 2023 12:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:30 pm
I agree with the general premise of the article, although I don't think Glenn should be held responsible for the actions or inactions of his father.

That said, Glenn sounds like a piece of work. It is the job of the A.D. and his support staff to thoroughly vet potential hires, especially for important positions, and the athletic department failed miserably here.

This is yet another incident where Warde Manuel and the Michigan "brand" have egg on their face.

Manuel should've already been fired for his handling of the Mel Pearson situation.
I appreciate your objective viewpoint, MW.

However, I don't think the author said Shemy should be held responsible for his father's disgusting inaction, but implied it is more of another bad, arrogant decision from Jimmy.

Michigan’s leadership hoped everyone upset with the continued honoring of Bo would simply move on and forget about it. Many did. Until Harbaugh’s haughtiness led him to bring another Schembechler back into the building. Had the social media likes not been discovered, Michigan football would continue to move forward in hopes of everyone remembering Bo for his Big Ten championships and his slogans.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 22, 2023 4:54 pm

I continue to believe to this day that Bo's statue should be removed.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 22, 2023 5:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:54 pm
I continue to believe to this day that Bo's statue should be removed.
Amen.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 pm

I'll start this out by saying the Shemy hire is a bad look. I won't spin that, but I also won't accept a piling on opinion piece by a spartan grad hack in Vannini.

Shemy and Matt Schembechler share the same mother - they are half brothers not stepbrothers. Mel Pearson was the hockey coach, not sure how his dismissal has ANYTHING to do with Jim Harbaugh. Donovan Edwards did make a mistake, and they noted that they were going to visit a Holocaust Museum. Of course, Vannini didn't feel the need to ask if that had happened, and it has, btw: https://twitter.com/Misopogon/status/16 ... DO5IsuAAAA

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 22, 2023 6:43 pm

The Pearson dismissal didn't have anything to with Harbaugh, and Vannini never said it did.

His point was this was yet another mistake in recent Michigan athletics. One that clearly could have, and should have been avoided.

You call it "piling on" but I see Harbaugh hiring Shemy Schembechler was just his way of flipping his middle finger to the thousands of victims of Dr. Anderson and Bo Schembechler. 'Oh, you didn't like being sexually abused while you were at Michigan? Well, how do you like THIS?'

Once the statue of the rape enabler is removed, your comments defending the football program might have some merit.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 22, 2023 6:50 pm

Warde Manuel is not impressive - I agree with that.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 22, 2023 8:14 pm

I think Manuel needs to be replaced. What say you?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed May 24, 2023 12:36 am

Shemy will not be a coach ever again Michigan shouldn't have hired him a few months ago.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 24, 2023 1:17 am

Matt wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:50 pm
Is that all the negative you have in you about the sad state of affairs there?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 24, 2023 7:50 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:17 am
Matt wrote:
There isn't a "sad state of affairs."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 24, 2023 8:56 am

Matt wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:50 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:17 am
Matt wrote:
There isn't a "sad state of affairs."
Compared to 20+ years ago? :rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 24, 2023 5:33 pm

Matt, do you think Warde should still be in his post?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:33 pm
Matt, do you think Warde should still be in his post?
I'm not sure. Most of the programs are achieving at a high level, with men's basketball being a current outlier. I don't think the Pearson thing is as black and white as it has been reported. I'm not saying Mel was a saint or shouldn't have been removed, but the report was received AFTER his contract expired. When his contract expired, he became a standard employee, entitled to additional protections. Warde would have been wise to extend his contract for 6 months or a year, contingent on the outcome of the investigation. Football is obviously the golden goose, and I wish he would have spoken out more forcefully against the bullshit NCAA investigation and in support of Jim Harbaugh. I'll ultimately defer to Santa Ono on whether Warde is still the man for the job. If not Warde, who do you hire with appropriate experience and some understanding of how the university functions?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic