Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2023

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Mike

Re: Detroit Lions 2023

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:39 am
I can almost understand the first snap on 4th down as the Lions still led comfortably at that point and were deep in Niners territory. The thinking was probably this: "If we don't convert, our defense will pull through."

The second one after trailing by 3? A terrible decision of epic proportions.

That said, sloppiness and the Niners ability to capitalize is what cost this team the most. To allow the Niners to score 27 unanswered points in such a short span is ridiculous.
The second one? By then, definitely not trusting the defense to pull through, and he's said as much.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:37 am
I'm not seeing SOL. I'm seeing SOF. Same old fans. JFC. I've heard calls on 97.1, people wanting Sheila's head, Campbell's job, my God. This wasn't blowing a lead to Chicago to go 1-6 on the season. Yes, mistakes were made. But we just played the NFC title game. Let's also not forget, it was against the NUMBER. ONE. SEED. In the conference.

Now, if the Lions go 6-11 next year, or need 7 teams to lose to get the final seed and get blown out on the road, fine. We'll talk.

Unreal.
I pretty much agree. I know that a lot of long-time fans invested a lot of emotion into this game and it's not fun to lose. But this was a very big step. And we just saw UM take the final big step after some big steps (and two unhappy losses) the previous two years.

I especially agree about next year. That will separate this team from the big falloffs in 1984, 1996, 2012, and other years.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:49 pm

https://youtu.be/lISBZXEQZpM?si=H2zr8RrCMuBbIzV2

I predict 10-7 with 1 step back without Ben Johnson.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:00 pm

The thing is, now I see people wanting to come here. They'll wanna coach with the Lions under the new regime. Do you honestly think we would be here right now if the old man was still around and in charge? I think Sheila really wants a winner and now that the culture seems to be changing, I can see the Lions having better choices in coaches. Remember, this was the franchise that caused Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson to suddenly say "toodaloo".

One other thing I'm proud of...I haven't heard any kvetching about refs or calls or anything. That's growth.

I mean, if you want another Matt Millen or Russ Thomas, fine. Another Mornhinweg. Another Schwartz. Chuck Schmidt. We must have forgotten already.

The Red Wings were terrible for years and years. Got to the cup finals in 1995 and got smoked. The talk of Yzerman being sent to Ottawa came up a few times. Came back and won 4 cups in 11 seasons.

The Tigers had the worst record in baseball history in 2003. Made it to the World Series in 2006 and 2012 (I realize they didn't win, either. But they were there).

The Pistons were constantly "in it". ECF in 1987. Finals in 1988. Won two straight titles in 1989 and 1990. I'm pretty sure they had "sit in your own section" night during the 1992-93 season. Won a title in 2004 and nearly got a second in 2005.

It's not like there isn't precedent. I believe this team can do great things. I really hope they don't prove me wrong.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:49 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:00 pm
One other thing I'm proud of...I haven't heard any kvetching about refs or calls or anything. That's growth.
Not for this one - but man, that Dallas game... >: >: >:

I will note that 10-7 would be an acceptable floor - in the three years with a 17-game schedule, we haven't yet had a double-digit winner miss the playoffs. Plenty of 9-8s have missed (including the Lions last year, and five others just this year!), but no 10-7s have as yet.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:08 am

Mega Hertz wrote:

Well, since you brought it up....

On the Ayukk freak catch that bounced of the face mask, a flag was thrown right in that vicinity. It was picked up, but it never was explained. In the replay, it did look like the only possible call was OPI on Ayukk, but never explained. I wonder what the flag possibly could have been for, if not that.
The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:41 am

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:08 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

Well, since you brought it up....

On the Ayukk freak catch that bounced of the face mask, a flag was thrown right in that vicinity. It was picked up, but it never was explained. In the replay, it did look like the only possible call was OPI on Ayukk, but never explained. I wonder what the flag possibly could have been for, if not that.
I agree that an explanation was warranted, but I'm glad the refs stayed out of it for the most part and let the players play, that blindside blocking call on Gardner-Johnson notwithstanding.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 am

I'm glad somebody else out there recognized that blunder for what it was. The fact that Campbell didn't recognize the importance of keeping all 3 of those timeouts at all costs is alarming. And I think I mentioned this earlier - this isn't the first time Campbell has made literally this exact same mistake - he called a timeout against Green Bay earlier this year when the Lions were down 2 scores and driving and absolutely could not afford to call one. And if I recall correctly, that one wasn't on 4th down so they could have spiked it.

Campbell just plain lacks a high game management IQ. And for that reason, next season they need to find a solid offensive coordinator and the clock management duties and field goal decisions need to be given to that person, whoever it is.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:06 pm

This just dropped...
Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson has informed the Washington Commanders and Seattle Seahawks that he will be returning to Detroit instead of pursuing a head coaching position, sources told Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

While Johnson - who opted to return to the Lions last year as well after interest - was widely viewed as a favorite to earn one of the two remaining coaching vacancies, he wasn't a lock to earn a top job and his asking price "spooked" some teams, sources told Adam Schefter of ESPN.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:29 pm

Beat me to it.

This is great news for the Lions!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:24 pm

Dynamite! Very happy. :D There's some unfinished business to attend to next season. :blink
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:02 am

Very happy that Ben Johnson is staying as the Lions OC. I was fine going for it on 4TH down in the 3RD quarter Josh Reynolds needs to make that catch which he can make in his sleep, being down 3 in the 4TH quarter kick the FG to tie the game up in my opinion. And for the record I'd taken the points both times not a gambling man like Dan Campbell. I wasn't really upset or mad that the Lions lost, at least the Lions showed up in the 1ST half and didn't show up unlike the Ravens even know they only lost by 7 they really weren't in that game VS the Chiefs.

I think that the Lions are going to make some noise for years to come even if they don't make it to the NFC Championship I believe they'll win some playoff games I don't believe this was a one off and one year wonder. It's very hard to get to the NFC Championship Game & going to the Super Bowl. I believe in this team.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:57 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:14 pm
Campbell didn't drop the pass on fourth down right in his hands. Campbell didn't fumble on his own 25. Campbell didn't have a ball somehow bounce off his face mask directly to a Niner. I didn't like the coaching calls, especially eschewing the 2nd fg, but that's what Campbell. The players let him down. This one will take a while to get over.
THANK YOU!
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:46 am

I saw that our old friend Jim Schwartz was named the NFL assistant coach of the year.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ji ... f-the-year

Be interesting to see if he gets a shot at another head coaching job, and blames his bad record in Detroit on the dysfunctional organization.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:54 am

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:46 am
I saw that our old friend Jim Schwartz was named the NFL assistant coach of the year.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ji ... f-the-year

Be interesting to see if he gets a shot at another head coaching job, and blames his bad record in Detroit on the dysfunctional organization.
He's only 57, he should get another shot and continue the purge of SOL by being the first ex-Lions head coach to get another such gig in the post-merger NFL. :smokin (Dick Jauron doesn't count, he was only an interim HC here; and George Wilson coached the Dolphins when still in the old AFL.)
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic