Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NCAA semifinal predictions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: NCAA semifinal predictions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:17 am

The fact Ohio State suffered a more heartbreaking loss than our own gives me a bit of solace. Very relieved OSU blew their two touchdown lead and missed what would've been a game winning FG from 50.

I will say the right four teams played yesterday. The fact OSU hung with Georgia suggests to me Michigan would've had a decent shot of defeating Georgia this year.

It will be interesting to see if the UGA / TCU game for the title proves to be as high scoring and dramatic as yesterday's thrillers.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:15 pm
I do want to give credit where credit is due to TCU. In the first half of today's game in particular, their defensive game plan was outstanding. It was clear their team studied Michigan game tape very closely and put what they learned to good use. Edwards was not nearly the force he had been in recent games.
They missed Corum a lot more in this game than they did in the previous two games. Those pounding six and seven-yard carries would have given UM more control over the tempo of the game.

Edwards had a good stat line, but almost half of his yards were on one play, on a drive that didn't end with a score.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:13 am

My observation.

Rebrand that game to Murphy's Law Bowl.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:43 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:15 pm
I do want to give credit where credit is due to TCU. In the first half of today's game in particular, their defensive game plan was outstanding. It was clear their team studied Michigan game tape very closely and put what they learned to good use. Edwards was not nearly the force he had been in recent games.
They missed Corum a lot more in this game than they did in the previous two games. Those pounding six and seven-yard carries would have given UM more control over the tempo of the game.

Edwards had a good stat line, but almost half of his yards were on one play, on a drive that didn't end with a score.
I was surprised that Edwards didn't break it there. Think how different the game is if he scores there...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:33 pm

I completely agree with you gentlemen.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:25 pm

Reading many forums on-line, message boards and other sites about the UM loss, I will say Sparty sure came back to offer his 2 cents, after being absent since, oh, mid October
That being said, Blue deserved to lose, two pic-6 throws, fumble and a dumb play call in the red zone , the defense somehow forgot about playing..."defense"...
Yes I will say it, honorable mention to the officiating crew for horrid calls, against both teams, but it seemed to affect Michigan more than TCU, having a TD taken away, and no targeting call made..
No whining about officials here, I am stating facts, it happened...
Glad Buckeyes lost because if they made it to the 'ship game, that stomping UM laid on them back in November would have been all for naught...
UM will be a pre season ranked top 5 come next August...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:50 pm

While Michigan didn't bring their A game last night, I think it's more of a B1G thing. We just can't hang. Upon looking at the list of national champions, the only team to have won it all in the last 20 years has been OSU (2002 and 2014). Didn't MSU get there about 10 years ago, also?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:51 pm

Two great games yesterday, as a Spartan, I was very pleased with the results. Hope TCU shocks the world and beats Georgia next week.

I agree with most of the comments here. I put a good deal of the blame on the loss on Harbaugh. The 4th down call on the initial drive was simply dumb. I would 100% agree that the overturned TD was a bad call. I fault Harbaugh for the call that resulted in the fumble though. Sneak maybe? Run the Jew hater? Why give it to a RB with limited experience? The use of timeouts at the end of the game was questionable too. But overall, I just thought TCU seemed better prepared and had Michigan off their game. If Michigan is indeed the better team, as Matt claims, then scheme and game planning are responsible. That's on the head coach.

I think McCarthy will be great. He throws an outstanding ball, and his mobility makes him next level. But the 2 pick sixes he threw were killers. I gotta believe he'll learn not to force throws and read defenses better as his career grows.

One complaint you Wolvies can flame me about, but the ESPN coverage was beyond slanted toward UM. How many shots of JJ's family and (very hot) girlfriend did they show? At least a dozen. Doesn't Duggan have a family? Crowd shots were 2 to 1 Michigan too. Thought the announcers were biased as well. But it's ESPN so its expected. And Michigan probably would draw a bigger audience for the championship game.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:13 pm

I agree the topics covered during the broadcast were slanted toward Michigan, whose fan base is far larger than that of TCU.
. I fault Harbaugh for the call that resulted in the fumble though.
I agree on this point. McCarthy or Edwards should've carried the ball. No need to get clever on a 1st & goal from the 1 yard line.

Disagree on the trick play, though. Play design was smart; Loveland just choked in terms of executing it properly. In hindsight, Michigan should've kicked a FG, but at the time, I didn't mind the decision to keep the offense on the field. Moreover, expectations at the time were probably that Michigan's D would prevent TCU from even reaching Michigan territory on the ensuing possession (oops).

Another place where I'll fault Michigan's coaching staff some was the overuse of blitzing the QB. There was a 3rd & 7 where Michigan did that in the second half where Duggan broke free and wound up making a play for a big gain.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:31 pm

I don't think it was the right play call if you're asking Loveland, a freshman, to do something he normally doesn't do in that key situation. But you clearly know UM personnel better than I do so I will accept your view.

Agree on the overuse of the blitz. That was playing right into the hands of a QB like Duggan.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:51 am

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:43 pm

A subscriber's only column in today's Detroit News by "Wojo" probably listed one of the main reasons for the loss.
Another possible lesson: To win the national title, you can’t harbor a speck of entitlement, or a hint of over-confidence. The Wolverines were more than a touchdown favorite, but they had their swagger knocked askew quickly by the swarming Horned Frogs.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:23 pm

I don't think it's a sure thing that Georgia beats TCU...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:23 pm
I don't think it's a sure thing that Georgia beats TCU...
I agree completely. Why are these guys still getting no respect? 13.5 is WAAAAAAY too many points.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:51 pm

Me too. Georgia should be favored by less than a touchdown, in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic