Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
TC Talks

Re: UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm

Jim Harbaugh had a tall order in front of him for the 2022 season, and plenty of questions as to how he would do it. Yet his Wolverines are 12-0 and playing for a second straight Big Ten championship, earning him coach of the year honors in back-to-back years.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Why? How was Jim supposed to know Blake’s knee was that bad? You’re punishing Jim for the lack of diligence on the training staff’s inability to do their job.
How do you know the training staff screwed up?

It's possible they screwed up. It's also possible Harbaugh made a poor choice.
It shouldn’t take 9 days to diagnose a bad knee.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:46 pm

I agree. Perhaps the public was misled from the get-go as to the severity of the injury. I hope that isn't the case. A number of unanswered questions for sure here.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:05 pm

Wasn't there talk last week that he was going to give it a go because there were assurances he couldn't do any more damage to the knee?

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:20 pm

The same prosecutor who appears to be charging Smith with a felony for possession of the gun in a car dropped two felony charges against Emoni Bates .
In that case the gun had the serial numbers defaced. Who defaces the serial numbers on a gun?
My prediction is the gun charge against Smith will somehow be reduced.
And based on EMU player Bates you can't call it a big blue conspiracy

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm

He was busted at 9:30 Friday morning speeding with a weapon in the car and no drivers license, but played in Indiana Saturday. Figuring UM flies out of Detroit for away games Friday afternoons, he must have been released awful quick.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:31 pm

IMO, Michigan has mismanaged the Smith thing and are getting some well-earned heat for it. The AD admits they knew in October there was an arrest and what the likely charge was going to be (those kinds of charges are pretty routine, from those that aren't timely in their renewals, etc).

Even if Smith gets off with a reduced charge (likely), Michigan probably should have invoked some kind of punishment. Not starting, out a half, out a game, whatever for violating team rules. They still have a chance to do so on Saturday and probably should.

The Corum thing - my untrained guess is that the bruise is bad enough that they are going to need to get in and surgically drain the thing. More yucky than dangerous, but something that is going to need time to completely clear up.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm
He was busted at 9:30 Friday morning speeding with a weapon in the car and no drivers license, but played in Indiana Saturday. Figuring UM flies out of Detroit for away games Friday afternoons, he must have been released awful quick.
Totally guessing here - but since Smith had passed his concealed carry and was in the waiting period, he might have used that training to properly self-report to the cop that he was armed. If Smith was compliant and cooperative, it's not unusual to get processed and be sent on your way for something like that. Like MW pointed out, if the gun was his and he followed the correct procedures, this would be normal behavior by the AAPD. If he didn't cooperate and self-report the gun, those things would have tremendously complicated the process.

What he did was clearly against Michigan law and he has to face the music, as it should be.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:49 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Totally guessing here - but since Smith had passed his concealed carry and was in the waiting period, he might have used that training to properly self-report to the cop that he was armed. If Smith was compliant and cooperative, it's not unusual to get processed and be sent on your way for something like that. Like MW pointed out, if the gun was his and he followed the correct procedures, this would be normal behavior by the AAPD. If he didn't cooperate and self-report the gun, those things would have tremendously complicated the process.

What he did was clearly against Michigan law and he has to face the music, as it should be.
Had he already passed his concealed carry? I have not seen that reported. I know he applied for it, but that could have happened after he was arrested. Numerous questions are unanswered, but I am sure UM will be more than forthcoming.....as they have been since this occurred in early October.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 pm

I was going on this article from the Freep where it quotes his lawyer saying he's since received his permit. I know there's a 45 day waiting period. My math might not be exactly correct and I don't have first hand knowledge of his test date.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/univ ... 692841007/

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:53 pm

I am not real knowledgeable about guns or gun laws but asked a buddy in Michigan about this.

His reply:

If he completed his CPL class, then there is no question that he didn't know that the gun had to be unloaded and in the trunk. They drill this into you and also go over the states that don't have a reciprocrating CPL laws like CA, Ill etc..

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:55 am

Mitch AlbUM:

Not a good look. Admit that much. Even if you are a Maize and Blue maniac, your star football co-captain being arrested on a gun possession felony in early October, being allowed to play for Michigan football the very next day, not being charged for the next seven weeks while he continues to play Saturday after Saturday and he and his school say absolutely nothing, then finally, with the Ohio State game finished and won, being formally charged yet immediately allowed to leave the state for the Big Ten championship — all of this under a prosecutor who is a Michigan grad, teaches at the law school and dismisses the whole thing as “wholly unremarkable” — well, come on.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 am

According to Savit, a month or month and a half is pretty commonplace for filing charges when no arrests are made. But he sure escalated charges for the MSU players - 3 weeks and charged. Meanwhile, for Smith it took 7 weeks, for what we keep hearing was a simple mistake of not having paperwork. I'm sure some hard hitting investigation was going on there.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am

Albom made some very sound points in his column this morning.

It is without question a bad look, Warde Manuel's statement was far too sugary, and I am certainly inclined to believe it is probable Smith received preferential treatment from the prosecutor's office.

Are other folks who face similar charges allowed to leave the state under any circumstances, generally speaking?

I suppose, though, the prosecutor's office - if it really, really wanted to do Smith and the team a favor - could've waited until mid January to bring charges.

Smith graduated from East Kentwood High School. That is one shitty school with a recent history of on campus crime. Very sad, because that was a good school and good school district 25 years ago. Kent County has some truly awful public school districts in the cities of Kentwood and Wyoming.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:25 pm
He didn't know that. Charges were issued November 17.

If Smith is facing felony charges for a gun he legally owns simply for not having it encased properly in his own vehicle, then the law as written is moronic. Again, we don't know yet if he was the legal owner of the handgun in question.
Not sure whether this is the case or not, but in Michigan if your permit was applied for and accepted and you have not received it within 45 days the receipt for your processing payment
acts as your permit until you receive it.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic