Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: Detroit Lions 2022

Post by Honeyman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:26 pm
Their decision to try a 54 yard field goal late is the worst play call they've made this season. Kicker was struggling and a FG only puts you up 6 (so a TD still beats you). They should have either punted or outright gone for it in that spot.

And this isn't unique to the Lions, but it just blows my mind how many coaching staffs in both the NFL and college seemingly lack a football IQ when it comes to late-game play-calling and clock management. In a lot of ways, late-game management is just like chess, being able to play out all the scenarios in your head and crunch the odds/possible outcomes, and so many teams are just terrible at this. For the amount of money they're paid, they should be as good at this in football as grandmasters are playing chess.
Every word of this post is accurate.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:56 pm

I didn't like that decision either, BMW. FG kickers were having trouble all day from long range due to the friggin' windows / bright reflections. I also figured going for a conversion on 4th down would've eaten more time off the game clock (Vikings had no timeouts left).

Lions probably still would've lost, because that's what they do!

No way in hell will this team finish above .500. Key players are already banged up, too (another Lions trademark).

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:10 pm

And it's funny because that was a Lions trademark last year - being aggressive at all the wrong times. For a coach who despises field goals the way he does, it seems like when the occasion does call for you to do something other than try one, THAT is when he decides to kick.

As far as just gameplay goes, the Lions definitely have some talent, but seem both physically and mentally incapable of playing a complete game. Surely they hold the NFL record for the largest number of blown double-digit leads over the past decade. I'll bet nobody is even a close second.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:15 pm

The thing that amazes me, every somewhat knowledgeable fan watching the game KNEW it was a horrible decision. Except the one individual who actually makes the call.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:23 pm

Honestly, I'm still wondering how it was even possible to lose that game considering everything. It shouldn't happen.

Unless a punt was downed inside the 10, it wouldn't have netted a whole lot. Seibert has the leg to nail a 50+ FG regardless of conditions; he just missed it -- it happens.

What had me up in arms and screaming were the, what, SIX interference flags on Oruwariye! I was yelling, GET HIM THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!!

(Edit)
Campbell says he sorely regrets his decision, he would've rather had turned it over to them on downs.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:23 pm
Honestly, I'm still wondering how it was even possible to lose that game considering everything. It shouldn't happen.

Unless a punt was downed inside the 10, it wouldn't have netted a whole lot. Seibert has the leg to nail a 50+ FG regardless of conditions; he just missed it -- it happens.

What had me up in arms and screaming were the, what, SIX interference flags on Oruwariye! I was yelling, GET HIM THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!!
If the FG made it a 2 score advantage, I could see the rationale. Under the actual circumstances, it was an idiotic decision.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:41 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:23 pm

If the FG made it a 2 score advantage, I could see the rationale. Under the actual circumstances, it was an idiotic decision.
I'm thinking a TD after a kickoff would be a heckuva lot easier to defend against with the clock running down and no timeouts.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:45 pm

Had it been a 4-point game instead of 3, I would have said try the long field goal because it puts you up 7 and even a miss still leaves you up greater than a field goal. But the math plays out very differently as precisely 3. Personally, I would have said the punt was the right call, but even going for it would have been smarter than a FG attempt.

Where they really messed up though was after the automatic first down they got from a penalty on the set of downs immediately prior - there was still too much time to coast to the finish - it was at that time they needed to shift gears and be aggressive and try to pick up one more first down.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:47 pm

Campbell says he sorely regrets his decision, he would've rather had turned it over to them on downs.
While I can appreciate Mr. Cambell's forthrightness in acknowledging his error, he gets paid a LOT of money not to make such errors.
Where they really messed up though was after the automatic first down they got from a penalty on the set of downs immediately prior - there was still too much time to coast to the finish - it was at that time they needed to shift gears and be aggressive and try to pick up one more first down.
Agreed. The play calling stunk on that last series.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:49 pm

The 54 yard field attempt was 1 yard longer than he has ever kicked before.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Let's not also forget about that timeout they called (their last one) right after Minnesota's big play with like 0:52 left. Can somebody explain to me the logic behind calling that? EVEN IF you feel like you need a timeout, you let clock bleed as Minnesota is going to burn some time getting down the field and then call it just before Minnesota snaps it. Instead they gave Minnesota a free timeout to stop the clock, regroup, and call the play that beat you.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Here's a hilarious reaction from Bill's offensive coordinator Dorsey after they failed to get a play off in time and lost.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1nqZJBy ... estroy.gif

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:25 pm

The Steaming Pile serves up another L.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

Swift has a bad shoulder and is likely going to miss time.

S.O.L.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:25 pm

Tracy Walker is out for remainder of the season with torn ACL.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic