Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Tigers 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Bobbert

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm

It will be interesting to see how much input A.J. Hinch has in the hiring process. Probably a lot. At last year's postseason press conference, Hinch sounded as much like a general manager as a manager. Certainly more than previous Tiger managers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:05 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:17 pm
Doesn't tigers talk beling in the chatterbox?
Tigers' baseball has a rich history in this city, whether you like the sport or not.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:41 am

Overdue move for sure. Except I'm not sure if things are going to get much better with Chris Illitch still owning the team. It sounded like he was trying to blame Avila for giving away Verlander and Martinez when anyone with a clue knows the edict to slash payroll a few years ago came from ownership.

I know he hired Yzerman who at least on paper has finally put an end to Dead Wings 2.0 this upcoming season but that was a complete no brainer, and people have always said hockey is his main interest and passion anyway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:46 am

Spot on. I do not trust Chris Ilitch.

I liked how Ilitch shirked any responsibility for the Tigers' performance and personnel moves and pinned all the blame on Avila.

I realize Ilitch was answering random questions from reporters and had to think on his feet during the hastily arranged press conference, but I think he stuck his foot in his own mouth a few times.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:30 am

I'll give Chris Ilitch credit for one thing—hiring the next GM after an "exhaustive" search process. His father made a big mistake by immediately hiring Avila after firing Dombrowski. Al was "next in line" and experienced in the organization so he was hired.

Here is what Mitch Albom wrote in the Free Press on 8/5/15:

Something happened. We don’t know what. We might not for a while. But there is no way Tuesday afternoon’s sudden dismissal of Dave Dombrowski as Tigers president and general manager is a consensual parting of the ways. Not midseason. The Tigers don’t fire people midseason. And not executives. And not on a Saturday. In general, in life, you work on Saturday only if you have to.

In this case, on Saturday afternoon, 24 hours after the trading deadline passed, the Tigers dumped out on Dombrowski and hired Al Avila in his place. Not as a temporary fill.

As the new general manager.

With a multiyear contract.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 pm

Annnnd Skubal is out for the season, with a possible need for a SECOND Tommy John surgery. With Skubal and Mize likely out for next year too, maybe they’ll be back on the rebuild in 2024.

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/spo ... hJo3N0x7dg

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 am

The conditioning coach needs to lose his job too. He's been worse than Avila. I have NEVER seen so many injuries in all my life to a starting pitching staff.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:04 am

Cabrera embarrassed himself and the Tigers on the last out of last night's game. The shortstop boots the ball, which bounces over to the second baseman, who still throws Cabrera out.

https://youtu.be/Bh_aUNv5_SE?t=458

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:10 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 am
The conditioning coach needs to lose his job too. He's been worse than Avila. I have NEVER seen so many injuries in all my life to a starting pitching staff.
Click on the PLAYERS column to show that the Tigers rank second in the number of starting pitchers on the IL this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled-li ... g-pitcher/

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:06 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:10 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 am
Click on the PLAYERS column to show that the Tigers rank second in the number of starting pitchers on the IL this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled-li ... g-pitcher/
Hmm, and the Twinkies are still five games over .500. I guess players who can hit a fastball make a difference. :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:04 am
Cabrera embarrassed himself and the Tigers on the last out of last night's game. The shortstop boots the ball, which bounces over to the second baseman, who still throws Cabrera out.

https://youtu.be/Bh_aUNv5_SE?t=458
I hate to say it, but with another season of Miggy in the line-up, it'll be another "rebuilding" season next year.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:18 am

I agree with MCRF; the conditioning staff is garbage. The results speak for themselves.

Cabrera needs to retire once the season ends. He probably won't, though.

As far as the Tigers go, I see perpetual mediocrity for many more years ahead.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am

Cabrera would be doing the team a favor if he retired, now that he's hit his career milestones he's not even an attendance draw anymore.

But hey, I wouldn't walk away from $30 million either.

The Tigers outdraw Cleveland by 5000 fans a game even though Cleveland is fighting for 1st place. Good job giving Chris Illitch your hard earned money for this bad, boring team everybody!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:19 pm

You are certainly correct that the average attendance at Cleveland home games is putrid this season.

I think the Tigers use fuzzier math, potentially, than some other teams across the league in arriving at those figures.

Baseball Reference's data suggests the Tigers are averaging over 20,000 fans a game. I find that number hard to believe. Many times, especially during the first couple months of the season, the stadium often looked 75% or more empty.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... misc.shtml

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Cleveland's never been a great market for baseball, except in the mid-late 90s when 1) they had a great team and 2) the Browns were gone. But they still shouldn't be outdrawn by shitty teams in similar size markets like Pittsburgh and KC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic