Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

There will be baseball!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

There will be baseball!

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:37 am

What I like about the agreement:
-A universal acceptance of the DH across both leagues
-A disincentive for teams to tally up service time for players with the intent to circumvent arbitration and free agency
-A pitch clock, though I had hoped it wouldn't have to come to this
-A full 162 game schedule this season augmented by more double-headers
-No more seven-inning double-header games
-No more starting extra innings with a man on second base

What I don't like about the agreement:
-An expanded playoff format, thus further diluting the primacy of the regular season
-Rules (to be determined) limiting defensive shifts; i.e., I'd like to make hitters use the entire field

Perhaps more opinions to follow once I digest all the ramifications.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Re: There will be baseball!

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:05 am

The expanded playoff depresses me. And it really wasn't necessary—just a bargaining chip in an egotistical tug-of-war.

I can just hear it now:

"Well, Jim, the Tigers are 5 games below .500, but they're only 6 games out of the last playoff spot."
"That's right, Dan."

Really miss that September push for first place in a league or division. The Tigers have been involved in several great races that had that day-to-day excitement: 1967, 1972, 1987.

On the positive side, getting rid of the awkward doubleheaders and extra inning games shows some awareness of tradition.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:59 pm

The universal DH is BS. The NL was fun to watch for strategy, and this takes that away.

Good job in restoring 9 inning doubleheaders and eliminating the stupid guy on 2nd base extra innings shit.

Service time adjustment is good.

I support the expanded bases to improve player safety and also eliminate the former neighborhood rule. Great adjustment to service time and the draft rules. The possibility of robo umps looks promising for next year.

A pitch clock will change games. Expect sky high ERA's and plenty of 10-8 games.

I too prefer an 8 or 10 team playoff. No 12 team crap.

The shift should not be banned.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:54 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:59 pm
The universal DH is BS. The NL was fun to watch for strategy, and this takes that away.
I guess what I meant to say is that I'm glad there's no difference between the leagues, whether or not there's a DH. However, I'll admit the double-switch was a neat strategy.
Frankly, I'd rather see more games against more intra-league teams and eliminate inter-league play; the latter has run its course, IMO.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:55 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:54 pm
I guess what I meant to say is that I'm glad there's no difference between the leagues, whether or not there's a DH. However, I'll admit the double-switch was a neat strategy.
Frankly, I'd rather see more games against more intra-league teams and eliminate inter-league play; the latter has run its course, IMO.
One change for next year is that they are nixing the heavy division focused schedule. Every team in both leagues will play each other, and I like that personally. I like inter league play although the value is diminished in that pitchers don't have to hit.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:49 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
I must admit, as a traditionalist, I am quite perturbed at the universal DH. I would strongly prefer the pre-pandemic status quo or returning to universal pitcher batting.

I’m also quite perturbed that they eliminated the game 163 tiebreaker.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:32 am

I'm glad DH is in the NL they were the only league to have pitchers batting they didn't have that in college high school. Pitchers can't hit, to begin with. It's a good thing that 12 teams are now in the playoffs 14 would be a bit much.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:24 am

moldyoldie wrote:
I agree, just enough to make it feel unique.

Maybe we wouldn't have to see the Pittsburgh Pirates every year (and I'm sure the feeling is mutual in Pittsburgh about the Tigers).

I remember listening to a Cleveland Indian broadcast in 2007, and they were giving the game score of a Mets/Yankee matchup. One of the announcers sarcastically said, "That matchup is the main reason why inter-league baseball started."

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:44 am

With the universal DH, I'm kind of hoping that there will be push for wholesale divisional realignment. The leagues no longer matter.

Want to see more Yankees-Mets / ChiSox-Cubs / Reds-Guardians / Dodgers-Angels? Put them together and let those cities enjoy those games as much as they want.

I'd love to see the Tigers-Blue Jays become divisional rivals again. I personally don't care to see the Royals or Twins as divisional rivals any more.

Then, rebalance the schedule a bit. 19 games against the teams in your own division is boring.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Here is my new baseball alignment. Go to conferences instead of leagues.

Eastern Conference:

Urban Division
Mets N
Red Sox A
Phillies N
Pirates N
Yankees A

Rust Division
Blue Jays A
Brewers N
Guardians A
Reds N
Tigers A

Sweat Division
Braves N
Marlins N
Nationals N
Orioles A
Rays A

Western Conference:

Harry Carey Division
Cardinals N
Cubs N
Royals A
Twins A
White Sox A

Cali Division
A's A
Angels A
Dodgers N
Giants N
Padres N

Fire and Rain Division
Astros A
Dbacks N
Mariners A
Rangers A
Rockies N

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:59 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:01 pm
Here is my new baseball alignment. Go to conferences instead of leagues.

Eastern Conference:

Urban Division
Mets N
Red Sox A
Phillies N
Pirates N
Yankees A

Rust Division
Blue Jays A
Brewers N
Guardians A
Reds N
Tigers A

Sweat Division
Braves N
Marlins N
Nationals N
Orioles A
Rays A

Western Conference:

Harry Carey Division
Cardinals N
Cubs N
Royals A
Twins A
White Sox A

Cali Division
A's A
Angels A
Dodgers N
Giants N
Padres N

Fire and Rain Division
Astros A
Dbacks N
Mariners A
Rangers A
Rockies N
You know, it sounds horrible at first, but they may as well shake things up. I think it would be better to keep the Brewers in the Harry Carey division and keep the Royals in the Rust, but that’s just me. The rest makes sense.

Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:17 pm

The Royals, Brewers, and Mariners are the hardest teams to place.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:05 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:17 pm
The Royals, Brewers, and Mariners are the hardest teams to place.
No doubt, but the Mariners’ placement makes sense to me. Let’s be honest that few people give two shits about the Royals outside of Kansas and Missouri. St Louis is its own little baseball legacy enclave.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:44 pm

I don't get the anti-dh people. You don't ask a QB to play defense in football.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:36 am

I’m glad the universal DH is coming around. Nothing like watching a rally starting only to be short circuited by a pitcher at the plate. The article below states why I’ve always wanted a universal DH:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -velocity/

“In 2020, an average American League DH batted .229 with a .724 OPS. The average National League DH batted .235 with a .731 OPS. The average National League pitcher, meanwhile, batted .131 with a .329 OPS in 2019”.

I don’t like them banning the shift. Why can’t a batter figure out how to hit against the shift and get an easy base or two?

Thank God the extra innings and doubleheader rules were scrapped.

Thankfully, the season will be progressing in full. Hopefully the decreased spring training won’t lead to a significant increase in injuries again.

https://lastwordonsports.com/baseball/2 ... uries/amp/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic