Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The 1968 Tigers - losing our heroes

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MichMash

The 1968 Tigers - losing our heroes

Post by MichMash » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm

Even though I have lived long enough to see the Pistons win three NBA titles, the Wings win four Stanley Cups (after a dreadfully long drought of no wins in 42 years), and having made my peace with the knowledge the Lions likely won't win anything in my lifetime, the team I have always had a certain affinity for was the first Detroit championship team of my lifetime, the Go Get 'Em Tigers of 1968. The sad news is, coming up on 54 years after they got up off the mat and recovered from that 3-games-to-1 deficit and slew the defending champion Cardinals, we are inexorably losing those players that brought together a city torn apart by the riots of 1967 and brought such unbridled joy in 1968.

What made me think of this was hearing the news the other day of the passing of relief pitcher Fred Lasher, who died in late February at the age of 80. A little research helped me to uncover that of the Tigers' 25-man World Series roster, 14 have passed away and only 11 players remain. I was discussing this with a buddy of mine who is also a H*** baseball fan, and he pointed out that when the Tigers held the 50th Anniversary celebration of that team in 2018, there were 15 players still with us. Since then, fans have been stung by the loss of all-timers Al Kaline and Bill Freehan, plus Tommy Matchick and now Lasher.

So, as of March 2022, without further ado, the remaining 1968 World Series Champions: infielder Wayne Comer, pitcher John Hiller, outfielder Willie Horton, pitcher Mickey Lolich, pitcher Denny McLain, pitcher Daryl Patterson, catcher Jim Price, outfielder/shortstop Mickey Stanley, infielder Dick "Trixie" Tracewski, pitcher Jon Warden (the only player on the roster who did not appear in the World Series), and third baseman Don Wert.

14 down, 11 remain. To steal from the '84 champs, bless you boys, and thanks for the memories.

moldyoldie

Re: The 1968 Tigers - losing our heroes

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:36 am

Well written, MichMash, thank you. '68 was certainly a magical summer for this 12 year-old fan!

All I can add is that we've all gotta go sometime. John Hiller's heart attack at a young age and Mickey Lolich's well-sarcasticized paunch sort of puts the lie to what's past is prologue.

Jon Warden was an interesting case -- compiling three early-season victories, benefitting from what became the team's come-from-behind season trademark, and then practically disappearing the second half of the season! Fred Lasher also "disappeared" to an extent as mid-season acquisitions Don McMahon and John Wyatt were appended to the bullpen workhorse duo of Pat Dobson and John Hiller, and to a lesser extent, Daryl Patterson. World Series hero Mickey Lolich also spent time relegated to the bullpen, getting three quick come-from-behind victories before returning to the starting rotation. Denny McLain often pitched on two days rest! It was certainly a different era.

And I haven't given up on the Lions...yet!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:07 pm

My dad really liked Mickey Lolich and of course Al Kaline. I loved Al in the booth in the 90s, and he seemed like a truly genuine person. Growing up, I was always upset that I was a 1 year old when the Tigers won in 1984. But at least I have fond memories of Tiger Stadium and didn't grow up in this current hellscape so there's that.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:58 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:36 am
Denny McLain often pitched on two days rest! It was certainly a different era.
He still would if 7-11 would give him a day off!

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:09 am

I think McLain owned Farmer Peets in Chesaning, MI??

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:12 am

& then got in trouble & Farmer Peets closed up shop???

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:57 pm

McLain worked at the 7-11 at Metro Parkway and Mound in Sterling Heights on work release for a while. Not sure where he is at now.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Been a tiger fan since I was an 8 year old kid in 1960. Of course like all Tiger fans have a great appreciation for both the 1968 and the 1984 World Championship Teams. Roll the clock ahead 43 years to the year 2011. My 17 year old daughter is playing travel softball and have a weekend tournament in Lowell (didn't have to travel too far that weekend). They are playing a team from the east side of the state with a gentleman? there cheering on his grand daughter on the opposing team. After my daugthers 2nd at bat in the 3rd inning, she comes and says to me "see that guy sitting over there, he's telling me and my team mates that we "suck" everytime we come up to bat. And just who was that gentleman? The one and only Dennis Dale McLain. I lost any respect I may have still had for the man after that incident.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:18 pm

originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 pm
Been a tiger fan since I was an 8 year old kid in 1960. Of course like all Tiger fans have a great appreciation for both the 1968 and the 1984 World Championship Teams. Roll the clock ahead 43 years to the year 2011. My 17 year old daughter is playing travel softball and have a weekend tournament in Lowell (didn't have to travel too far that weekend). They are playing a team from the east side of the state with a gentleman? there cheering on his grand daughter on the opposing team. After my daugthers 2nd at bat in the 3rd inning, she comes and says to me "see that guy sitting over there, he's telling me and my team mates that we "suck" everytime we come up to bat. And just who was that gentleman? The one and only Dennis Dale McLain. I lost any respect I may have still had for the man after that incident.
Re McLain: That is absolutely downright despicable! >:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 pm

Bump -- and then there were only 10. RIP, Jimmie William Price.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:25 am

MichMash wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 pm
RIP |I

Who are the remaining ten?

- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:48 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:25 am
MichMash wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:06 pm
RIP |I

Who are the remaining ten?
Ten left from the 1968 World Series Champions: infielder Wayne Comer, pitcher John Hiller, outfielder Willie Horton, pitcher Mickey Lolich, pitcher Denny McLain, pitcher Daryl Patterson, outfielder/shortstop Mickey Stanley, infielder Dick "Trixie" Tracewski, pitcher Jon Warden (the only player on the roster who did not appear in the World Series), and third baseman Don Wert.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:47 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:48 am
Ten left from the 1968 World Series Champions: infielder Wayne Comer, pitcher John Hiller, outfielder Willie Horton, pitcher Mickey Lolich, pitcher Denny McLain, pitcher Daryl Patterson, outfielder/shortstop Mickey Stanley, infielder Dick "Trixie" Tracewski, pitcher Jon Warden (the only player on the roster who did not appear in the World Series), and third baseman Don Wert.
I guess it's fair to say Hiller made a successful recovery from his early heart attack; it must be that U.P. living. :blink Thanks for the list.

- Sydney J. Harris

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:51 am

I thought that Mickey Stanley died a few years back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic