Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jansen and Karsch...

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Trophyhead

Jansen and Karsch...

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:39 pm

There's your new University of Michigan football network broadcast team, so Twitter tells me.

They put the big guy first in the photo, but to read up on it, Doug Karsch will rise from sideline reporting to do play by play and Jon Jansen goes from out of game expert, to color commentator.

The only place for a fresh face to land is in Karsch's old job.

Matt

Re: Jansen and Karsch...

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:58 pm

This should be a big improvement in the booth.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:49 pm

I will happily give them a try. I stopped listening on the radio 15 or 20 years ago because of Frank Beckman. I tried liking Jimmy Brandstatter as a PBP guy but he just made me cringe. I liked him a lot as a color guy for both the Lions and Wolverines . But I think he hit the Peter Principal wall doing PBP.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59 pm

Jansen is a good hire. Karsch is going to be rough. Great talk show host but has he ever even done play by play?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:53 am

Karsch has the voice of someone who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:53 am
Karsch has the voice of someone who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day.
Beckman had a smoker's voice too and he was great.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 am

Has Doug Karsch ever done play by play anywhere?

If not, could prove to be a terrible hire. Not a job for someone who needs training wheels.

The guy who handles men's basketball sucks. Milquetoast as hell. Big step down from Matt Shepard.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 am
Has Doug Karsch ever done play by play anywhere?

If not, could prove to be a terrible hire. Not a job for someone who needs training wheels.

The guy who handles men's basketball sucks. Milquetoast as hell. Big step down from Matt Shepard.
His sideline reporting experience and knowledge of Michigan football were probably the biggest reasons he was hired. He knows what it's like to have to describe things quickly during a game.

I agree about his voice being raspy. It will take some time getting used to that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:16 pm

He was hired because he was next in line, so to speak, just as Brandstatter was next in line when Frank retired.

Without question, he's very knowledgeable with regard to Michigan football.

Hopefully he'll surprise me in a favorable way in terms of his play by play ability.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:17 am

Both Jansen and Karsch will be coming from 97.1, where sports is something that is discussed only between conversations about television shows, food preferences, and other trivial matters. Do you think this will carry over to their UM broadcasts?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:17 am
Both Jansen and Karsch will be coming from 97.1, where sports is something that is discussed only between conversations about television shows, food preferences, and other trivial matters. Do you think this will carry over to their UM broadcasts?
I don't have to think. The answer is unequivocally no.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:10 pm

What worries me is: if another scandal should break, or if Michigan stinks it up or whatever, does this mean at least two of the dayparts have to maintain radio silence?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:31 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:10 pm
What worries me is: if another scandal should break, or if Michigan stinks it up or whatever, does this mean at least two of the dayparts have to maintain radio silence?
Excellent point. How they navigate the clear conflict of interest being employed both by Audacy and Learfield/IMG College will be interesting when there are inevitably negative things that need to be said about Michigan on 97.1.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:31 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:10 pm
Excellent point. How they navigate the clear conflict of interest being employed both by Audacy and Learfield/IMG College will be interesting when there are inevitably negative things that need to be said about Michigan on 97.1.
Negative things don't need to be said. There are ways you can be critical without stopping to the LCD.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:54 pm

Interesting that this topic hasn't continued into the college football season, with these new guys on the air. I listened to one game for a few minutes and concluded that Doug Karsch has a terrible play-by-play voice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic