Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Super Bowl predictions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Bobbert

Re: Super Bowl predictions

Post by Bobbert » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 am

As bad as the Detroit Lions organization has looked through the years, have they ever looked worse than they do right now?

Not only did they waste the efforts of a Super Bowl-winning quarterback for 12 years, but they also watched the Cincinnati Bengals go from the worst team in football two years ago to a Super Bowl team.
Last edited by Bobbert on Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:46 am

FWIW, I hit the remote after about two or three minutes of the halftime show. :barf I don't know how you'd classify that rap crap, but it ain't music.

Also FWIW, the Rolling Stones and The Who were great halftime shows. :hat I also liked Shakira last year. :razz

I really liked only one ad -- the Roman Colosseum tailgating for avocados. Brilliant and clever! :lol

Re Stafford, all the postgame analysis is contrasting his performance this year with the previous decade+ with the Lions. There may be another fifty+ years of "The Curse", this time it'll be The Curse of Stafford! :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 am

The Who were great. The Rolling Stones stunk.

I am inclined to agree with Bobbert.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:02 am

Thought Stafford played very well, especially considering he lost his #2 weapon in the 2nd quarter. The game-winning drive was magnificent. One of the interceptions was clearly the fault of the tight end, the other essentially served as a punt. I would have had zero problem if he was named MVP. Glad he got his ring.....and his entrance to Canton.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:09 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 am
As bad as the Detroit Lions organization has looked through the years, have they ever looked worse than they do right now?

Not only did they waste the efforts of a Super Bowl-winning quarterback for 12 years, but they also watched the Cincinnati Bengals go from the worst team in football two years ago to a Super Bowl team.
I think the football-watching nation, young and old, is being conditioned (enlightened?) to what we already know -- the Lions are and have long been the most ineptly run franchise is professional sports history.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:13 am

Why are Super Bowl commercials SO BAD? Nearly every single one felt like a 30-second theatrical production without much actual substance or humor.

The quality of Super Bowl commercials IMO peaked in the mid-2000s (like 2006 or 2007) and have gone way downhill ever since.

On a side-note, I couldn't help but notice the lack of beer commercials. Those used to dominate. I don't recall seeing a single on during the first half. All I saw were 2 Budweiser commercials.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:30 am

Commercials were lousy. Only ones I remember snickering at was the e*trade baby and the one with Scarlett Johannesen.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 pm

Four great halftime performances in my opinion were U2, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars and Bruce Springsteen. I think Tom Petty is underrated and forgotten about these days, and was a notch below great. Then many, many others in the mediocre to good category.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:30 am
Commercials were lousy. Only ones I remember snickering at was the e*trade baby and the one with Scarlett Johannesen.
I liked the Larry David one.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:42 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:36 pm
kager wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:42 pm
I think Jeff Glor said it well this morning... (paraphrasing)

My head says the Rams will win, but my heart wants the Bengals to win.

I just hope it will be a good (not lopsided) game.

We already know we will be busy doing something - anything - away from the telly during halftime...
Why would you skip the best halftime show EVER?
"Way too many coloreds. I enjoyed Up With People back in the day. Ni--ers knew their place then". ---audiophile
I checked out this old video to see if it matched the impression you give of Up With People. I enjoyed it better than anything I've seen recently at the Super Bowl. A nice variety of everyday people of different races, singing songs with a positive message, with a little social commentary mixed in.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Matt wrote:
kager wrote:

We already know we will be busy doing something - anything - away from the telly during halftime...
"Way too many coloreds. I enjoyed Up With People back in the day. Ni--ers knew their place then". ---audiophile
I checked out this old video to see if it matched the impression you give of Up With People. I enjoyed it better than anything I've seen recently at the Super Bowl. A nice variety of everyday people of different races, singing songs with a positive message, with a little social commentary mixed in.

As far as "social commentary" is concerned, that group consisted of predominantly gay men who were forced to remain in the closet or face serious repercussions. George Wallace was winning presidential primaries in 1976 also. Ahhhh, the good old days!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm

I thought Rocket Mortgage had the best ad.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:16 pm

I must have missed a few ads yesterday....grabbing a beer....taking a leak....grabbing another beer....texting with friends.....grabbing another beer.....

Went back and viewed both the Rocket and Larry David ads and they were very entertaining.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:00 am

Saw this posted in another forum.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:32 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Matt wrote:
kager wrote:

As far as "social commentary" is concerned, that group consisted of predominantly gay men who were forced to remain in the closet or face serious repercussions. George Wallace was winning presidential primaries in 1976 also. Ahhhh, the good old days!
A lot of them were also showing the kind of patriotism that would probably get them socially condemned today. Or maybe even fired from a job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic