Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bowl game banter

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Bowl game banter

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:36 pm

Any true Michigan fan hates OSU and MSU. Not going to make any apologies for it. I have cousins that went to MSU. One was a handler for Sparty, and another played the MSU fight song to conclude her wedding. I will always get up for those games, especially OSU.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:53 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:36 pm
One was a handler for Sparty, and another played the MSU fight song to conclude her wedding.
Are you sure it wasn't just circus music?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Oh, I hate them. Don't get my post wrong. I hate them, but I'm not gonna run my mouth and then watch Michigan stink it up for another decade lol

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:21 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 pm
Oh, I hate them. Don't get my post wrong. I hate them, but I'm not gonna run my mouth and then watch Michigan stink it up for another decade lol
That’s fair.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:58 am

Michigan's lines on both sides of the ball were terrible against Georgia. Semi-final or championship game, Michigan would've lost to the Bulldogs. The matchups were in Georgia's favor decisively. That is nothing coaching would be able to overcome (Honeyman wrongly seems to think Harbaugh is primarily responsible for each game Michigan loses.)

The only difference if Michigan were to face Georgia in the title game as opposed to the semi-final? Perhaps Georgia's margin of victory would've been narrower if Michigan faced Cincy in a "warm up" game and if Georgia had to endure a difficult rematch with Bama in its semi-final game.

The outcome of Friday's game proves to me the braintrust behind the CFP rankings got it right; Michigan in hindsight did not deserve a #1 ranking after all. Still, they will likely wind up as the #3 ranked team in the land, and that's pretty damn good. Overall, I am very happy with the season. Defeating the Buckeyes, winning a division title and winning a conference title are all significant milestones that *finally* occurred with Harbaugh at the helm (yes, I remain disappointed all three did not occur sooner).

Out of the past six Michigan football coaches, the only one with a winning bowl game record is Gary Moeller.

Michigan has now lost five post-season bowl games in a row and 11 of the past 15.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:29 pm

If you will re-read what I wrote, you will see my first comment echoed yours MW, saying that the disparity between the talent, specifically the lines, was the main difference in the game. However, I did not say Harbaugh was primarily responsible for the loss. I said he was outcoached. He was. They were a touchdown underdog and lost the game by 23, only that close after a garbage time TD. When a team loses a game as decisively as that one, you cannot tell me scheme and preparation are not responsible to a substantial degree. Who not to level criticism about that than the head coach of the team?

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:34 pm

I think Georgia simply has a lot more talent on its team than the Wolverines.

Michigan did seem to give Georgia too much space along the edges, but I think that occurrence was largely due to the effectiveness of Georgia's blocking. Guys simply couldn't get over there.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:05 pm

Michigan just isn't ready for the big boys. And that's okay. Now they have had a taste and know what they need to do moving forward.

My MSU fan brother did text me today. After what he saw he said "Bet you wanna come in 5th from now on don't you?" 😂

-TurkeyTop

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:11 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:45 am
Ferris St. 58 Valdosta St. 17 (Division II Championship!)
Western Michigan 52 Nevada 24
Central Michigan 24 Washington St. 21
Michigan St. 31 Pitt 21

It coulda' been a bowl game clean sweep for the great state of Michigan! Oh well, the B1G once again proves it's not in the same class as the SEC when it comes to the "big one".
You missed this one:
2021 LendingTree Bowl: Liberty 56, Eastern Michigan 20

Maybe it's just an Ann Arbor/Ypsi thing with losing bowl games!
Damn, my BB moniker is becoming more and more apropos. :oops: And I watched that game!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:03 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:59 am
I didn't even watch the game. By the time I was in a position to tune in we were down 14-0 and I felt we were doomed. So I watched Friday Night Lights season 4 with my wife while my ESPN phone app gave me scoring updates. All I needed to see to flip the game on was a 14-7 update. 😥
Like you craig, my wife and I are waaaay late to the party and just catching up on Friday Night Lights. We're on the 5th and final season (NO SPOILERS!) but it seems that season 4 was when this might have jumped the shark. All of a sudden, it's like we're watching "The Wire". And no Minka Kelly or that hot long-legged blonde?!? I'll see this thru, but the show is going downhill.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm

I think Valenti was pretty spot on yesterday. If you're Michigan, if you're MSU, is this it? Is this as good as it gets? I think he said 18 of the last 19 title winners have been SEC. Perhaps none of us can run with the big dogs and have what it takes. So maybe the season does only hinge on beating your rivals. Maybe the M/OSU game is like the championship. Maybe winning the B1G is like winning it all.

And if the alternate is true, what does it take to see a Michigan or MSU title winner? How does one of our teams get there? Idk if settling for "just happy to be here" is gonna be good enough for us forever.

-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:40 pm

I'm obviously prejudiced, but I think that is exactly what Mel is trying to achieve at MSU. He's got an SEC background, and is actively and successfully recruiting in those areas. Urban Meyer was/is a pile of shit, but had success with a similar philosophy at OSU. I believe it can be done in East Lansing.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:06 pm

At this point, I would just take the medicine. Watch MSU win a national title JUST to shove it up the SEC's ass. I was posting on my FB that it's gonna be an SEC title match and my friends were getting pissy with me. "They haven't even kicked off yet!" but something just told me. We gotta get faster. Big is great but Georgia ran circles around us.

Hopefully (and I'm not counting on much) Harbaugh learns from this. I'm not interested in 10-2 and losing in another bowl next year.

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:21 am

Time to face the fact that Mel Tucker is using the transfer portal like a fantasy player uses the waiver wire on Monday while the rest of the fantasy teams sleep on their rosters until Saturday. Mel will have the Spartans go to the CFP as the next Big Ten team. Not sure if it will be in 2022, but it will be before Michigan does again. Not out of the question that Sparty does what Michigan did this year.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:21 am
Time to face the fact that Mel Tucker is using the transfer portal like a fantasy player uses the waiver wire on Monday while the rest of the fantasy teams sleep on their rosters until Saturday. Mel will have the Spartans go to the CFP as the next Big Ten team. Not sure if it will be in 2022, but it will be before Michigan does again. Not out of the question that Sparty does what Michigan did this year.
Michigan could be poised for a return to the CFP next year.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic