Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lloyd Carr praised Robert Anderson at his funeral

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Lloyd Carr praised Robert Anderson at his funeral

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 am

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/robe ... em-decades
Anderson died 12 years ago. He was a bespectacled 80-year-old man with a square face, a receding thatch of white hair, and a shining reputation. At his funeral in Ann Arbor, football coach Lloyd Carr called him “a tremendous asset in this community.”
A reminder: Lloyd is alive and hasn't spoken out or been questioned about the accusations publicly. "Tremendous" from Lloyd is about the highest praise he could bestow on someone.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Re: Lloyd Carr praised Robert Anderson at his funeral

Post by Honeyman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 am
Anderson died 12 years ago. He was a bespectacled 80-year-old man with a square face, a receding thatch of white hair, and a shining reputation. At his funeral in Ann Arbor, football coach Lloyd Carr called him “a tremendous asset in this community.”
A reminder: Lloyd is alive and hasn't spoken out or been questioned about the accusations publicly. "Tremendous" from Lloyd is about the highest praise he could bestow on someone.
The link is almost a year old and really doesn't support your post Matt, but thanks for posting it. It is quite well-written.

I'm missing your point though. You're not saying Robert Anderson is innocent here, are you?

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am

Dr. Anderson had more medical knowledge than even Dr. Jill Biden does, who is a heck of a doctor according to Whoopi Goldberg. And Dr. Anderson has ruined a lot fewer lives than Dr. Jill Biden and Associates, PC.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am
Matt wrote:
The link is almost a year old and really doesn't support your post Matt, but thanks for posting it. It is quite well-written.

I'm missing your point though. You're not saying Robert Anderson is innocent here, are you?
It was an interesting article, although old.

I am referring to the Bo allegations - why hasn't Lloyd publicly spoken? Surely, if Bo knew Lloyd knew. I just don't see Lloyd as a guy that would call someone a "tremendous asset" if he knew what a monster the guy was. He can answer...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:17 am

Not just Lloyd, but Tom Goss, Bill Martin, numerous well known basketball, football & hockey players who played U-M athletics in the 90s, coaches of the wrestling, hockey, gymnastics, basketball and other teams during the 70s/80s/90s, etc.

I suspect this runs much deeper than just the football program.

Bo definitely knew Anderson was performing inappropriate "procedures" yet took ZERO action to remove the guy when he was A.D. I mean, did he just "forget" what his players told him about Anderson several years earlier? That alone should be grounds for removing his name from campus buildings and removing his statue.

Juwan Howard, Tom Brady and others have been awfully quiet about this.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:29 am

BTW, that is an excellent report from WUOM you posted, Matt.

The piece of shit "news" organizations in Detroit - especially TV - are completely incapable (and probably unwilling) to do such in-depth reporting.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 am

If we are asking who knew what when should we leave out WUOM, the voice of Michigan football for decades?
Tom Hemingway was the WUOM sports director and the play-by-play voice of U-M football on Michigan Radio from 1963 to 1987.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:29 am
BTW, that is an excellent report from WUOM you posted, Matt.

The piece of shit "news" organizations in Detroit - especially TV - are completely incapable (and probably unwilling) to do such in-depth reporting.
I couldn't agree more, MW. Myth Albom's column yesterday in the freep was a joke, as is most Detroit reporting I see from across the country.

This was written by David Briggs in the Toledo Blade. The article was behind a paywall that I somehow got thru so I am copying/pasting.

Briggs: The demythology of Bo Schembechler and the real story at Michigan

In light of new accusations and in the interest of pulling readers and viewers into a complex story, the recent coverage of the sex abuse case at the University of Michigan has been distilled almost entirely into a debate on the legacy of Bo Schembechler.

As in: How should Michigan confront the allegations that its iconic late football coach blindly enabled former team doctor Robert Anderson and his decades-long reign of terror?

Should it take down the statue of Schembechler outside the football complex?

Rename Schembechler Hall?

Disassociate from the most celebrated figure in its modern history entirely?

These are worthy questions, to be sure, and if Schembechler indeed gave terrifying new meaning to the old “Bo Knows” advertising campaign — as the investigative report commissioned by Michigan states is the case — the answers are clear. The man who preached the team, the team, the team, would have been a wolverine in sheep’s clothing, a fraud of the highest order who put the brand above the welfare of his athletes.

I don’t dismiss any of this.

And if these reconsiderations are important to the victims — more of whom came forward Wednesday in a news conference outside Michigan Stadium — they should be important to us.

Yet, in a way, the one-track media coverage feels dismissive just the same.

Because the bigger, most important story is not one of the mythology and symbolism surrounding a man no longer with us.

In Michigan and beyond, it’s the courage of those who are, the survivors who continue to cast a klieg light on the top-to-bottom failings of the schools, churches, and institutions of power that have so devastatingly betrayed so many, and hold them to account.

In the Big Ten alone the past decade, we’ve seen it at Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, and now Michigan.

The latter two scandals may have received only a fraction of the national attention, because the victims were mostly college-aged male athletes.

But that makes the pain no less real, the voices no less important in recalibrating a culture that still has a long way to go.

How long?

Consider what these men are up against. The past week has offered a reminder, affirming the forces that conspire to silence victims of sexual abuse.

It began last Thursday, when Schembechler’s stepson, Matt, and two former Michigan football players — three of more than 850 victims who have accused the late Anderson of sexual assault — held a press conference to tearfully detail not just the abuse but the coach’s cold, willful ignorance.

Matt Schembechler flashed back to 1969, when as a 10-year-old in need of clearance to play tackle football, he said his father sent him to the Wolverines’ team doctor. There, he remembered, Anderson fondled his genitals and digitally penetrated him, leaving him unsettled and humiliated.

“When Bo got home, I told him what happened,” Matt said. “It did not go well. Bo’s temper was legendary, and he lost it. He screamed, ‘I don’t want to hear this. I’m not hearing this.’ I tried to tell him repeatedly, but my effort earned me a punch in the chest.”

The two former Michigan players, offensive tackle Daniel Kwiatkowski (1977-79) and running back Gilvanni Johnson (1982-86), recounted telling Schembechler about repeated similar experiences.

“Bo looked at me and said, ‘Toughen up,’” Kwiatkowski said.

Since the news conference, the three men have heard it all, as have other victims, including Jon Vaughn, the former Michigan star running back who told reporters Wednesday that Anderson “regularly raped” him and asked him to provide sperm samples. The story has predictably devolved into a referendum on the credibility and motives of the accusers.

Never mind the report paid for by Michigan said Schembechler was clearly told by at least four people Anderson molested them during routine exams, and yet — like other university leaders complicit in the cover-up — took no action.

They’ve heard, “Why now?” and that they should have stood up to Anderson themselves — as if the power dynamics at play were that simple — and that it was a different time.

They’ve heard they’re in it for the money (which supposes that more than 800 people must be lying so they can sue their alma mater, including billionaire Michigan regent Ron Weiser.)

They’ve heard Michigan radio voice Jim Brandsatter say, “I don’t want to attack the victims, but ...” and many more willing to finish the sentence.

They’ve heard full-throated defenses of Schembechler, including by Jim Harbaugh, whose comments last month further splintered the Michigan football family.

Harbaugh could have expressed his love and reverence for Schembechler — a sentiment shared by many hundreds of former players — and his concern about the allegations. Instead, he made no mention of the victims and said, “[Bo] never procrastinated anything. I mean, he took care of it before the sun went down. That’s the Bo Schembechler that I know. Nothing was ever swept under the rug or ignored. He addressed everything in a timely fashion.”

And we wonder why more victims don’t come forward.

Yet, the survivors at Michigan still did, same as they did at Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State, to name just a few of the institutions that when confronted with horror looked only to protect the facade.

The brand. The brand. The brand.

“We will no longer be anonymous, we will no longer be faceless, we will no longer be silent,” Vaughn told reporters. “We will fight for those who feel they don’t have a voice.”

The big story of the moment may be the legacy of Schembechler and his larger-than-life statue.

But it’s far from the biggest one.

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Not a fan of Mitch anymore so I don't read his stuff.
At the same time David Briggs is an Ohio State graduate so I'm pretty sure he will have an anti-Michigan slant to anything he writes just like people with Michigan ties will have a pro Michigan slant.

I no longer directly engage trolls

BME

Post by BME » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 am
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am
Matt wrote:

It was an interesting article, although old.

I am referring to the Bo allegations - why hasn't Lloyd publicly spoken? Surely, if Bo knew Lloyd knew. I just don't see Lloyd as a guy that would call someone a "tremendous asset" if he knew what a monster the guy was. He can answer...
Lloyd Carr knows he would be lying (as he was at Anderson's funeral) if he came out now and called Anderson "a tremendous asset."

Weak sauce as usual, Matty!
Last edited by BME on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BME

Post by BME » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Another good article about Schembechler and the gutless UM media:

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/article ... eerleaders

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Mr. Briggs' article is excellent as is the Deadline Detroit article. There is zero chance Bo didn't know what Anderson was doing. It's impossible for a revered coach to be that aloof and clueless as to what's happening in his program.

The only question is - what actions did he attempt to take to stop / remove Anderson? It would appear very little.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic