Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Tigers 2021

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Detroit Tigers 2021

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 am

Did I say José Ureña looks "serviceable"? Damn, he looked downright dominant against the Yanks! If he keeps this up he'll be pitching for a contender after the trade deadline. :smokin

Meanwhile, the Kitties exploded for seven runs on ten hits in Fenway last night! :D ...while the pitching yielded eleven runs and fourteen hits. :? :rolleyes Fulmer didn't last the first inning.

Miggy's in an 0-for-23 slump, a span that includes 13 strikeouts. It's gotta be the worst slump of his long career.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am

Cabrera is complete garbage and has basically been extorting money from the Tigers so he can bankroll is promiscuous lifestyle.

Rebuild is going great, ain't it? :lol

How can some of you stand to watch this terrible product?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am
How can some of you stand to watch this terrible product?
It's still early. :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Why don't they just bring all of the Mudhens up, and send all of the Tigers down to Toledo?

But would that do any good? Would they be able to win at the AAA level?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 am

It looks official (for the time being), Michael Fulmer is the new bullpen ace.

- Sydney J. Harris

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sun May 16, 2021 6:14 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... -thin-ice/

From CBS Sports regarding the awful rebuild.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 am

tigerwings wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:14 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... -thin-ice/

From CBS Sports regarding the awful rebuild.
Whenever I hear or read the word "systemic" I tend to cringe; it almost sounds like a cop-out. Can one man (Avila or head of scouting) be responsible for the procurement and lack of development of these young players? Can one man's lack of vision or competence filter all throughout the organization? Okay, I suppose it can.

I will say that for as long as I've followed them, whether it's from the team or the media, the Tigers' prospects have always been over-hyped. I can recall shortstop Tommy Veryzer being touted as the next Honus Wagner! :rolleyes :lol: The recent release of Franklin Perez is most disappointing; it looks as if the Verlander trade has netted a big goose-egg in return.

(Edit)
Perez cleared waivers and signed a minor league contract with the Tigers. Apparently he's going to have surgery on his troublesome shoulder.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 19, 2021 10:19 am

Following Turnbull's no-hitter, the Kitties are 7-3 in their last ten games! Pitching is coming through with Fulmer in the pen and there's been some timely hitting for a change. I hate to say this, but Miggy's presence in the middle of the order might be a weak link. Things are still looking up.

- Sydney J. Harris

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:16 pm

Try using lighter bats. Faster swing, and you can hit the ball harder.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:08 pm

If you've been paying attention in recent weeks you'll notice a much better brand of baseball being played by our fair team. There's been some solid pitching, some timely hitting, a little bit of small ball, and something I've been waiting to see for a while now -- exploitation of team speed. The offense has been spearheaded by Jonathan Schoop, who after a horrendous start to the season has been the hottest hitter in baseball! A major turning point seems to have been when JaCoby Jones, Wilson Ramos, and Buck Farmer were all DFAed (Farmer has since returned due to injuries) and Daz Cameron, Derek Hill, Eric Haase, Harold Castro, and even Jake Rogers are playing major roles in a regular line-up rotation. Hill is currently on the IL. A big disappointment has been once-touted 5-tool player Nomar Mazara, but he remains in the line-up against righthanded pitching. Miggy is still old man Miggy.

Young pitchers Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal, and now Matt Manning are exerting themselves admirably in the starting rotation, but unfortunately veterans Matthew Boyd and Spencer Turnbull are on the IL. After that great start against the Yankees a month-and-a-half ago, José Ureña has seemingly lost his command. With injuries to Boyd and Turnbull and pending their return, it remains to be seen how the young trio will be handled with limited innings in the season's second half. We may see many so-called "bullpen games". Speaking of which, the current back end of Gregory Soto, Jose Cisnero, and Michael Fulmer are getting it done. Kyle Funkhauser, who I once thought threw "too straight", has found some life on his pitches and has become effective. Meanwhile, once prized arms Daniel Norris and Joe Jimenez may be pitching themselves out of a job.

- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Well I said .500. Guess I am sticking to it. Hinch knows how to manage.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 pm

Would love to see .500! They might be able to get above that if they could just drop Cleveland and the ChiSox from their schedule. Those matchups are still painful.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 pm

Cleveland won't keep playing like they are. ChiSox will be good for awhile.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 am

Our boys have taken care of both Cleveland and the White Sox in back-to-back series. This team is fun to watch again! The second half of the season will be most telling.

Is Baddoo in line for Rookie of the Year?

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:53 am

Now is the time for the front office to start spending. Maybe not necessarily at the trade deadline, but certainly in the coming off season.

At risk of saying this prematurely, A.J. Hinch is clearly the right manager to be leading this team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic