Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2021 NFL Draft

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 2021 NFL Draft

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm

I hate the pick of Sewell.

Jeff Seidel of the Freep's analysis is spot on. Lions should've traded down or taken a play maker at #7 overall.

Didn't figure they'd draft a QB this year. Was hoping they'd pick a cornerback or a receiver.

They'll probably win 3 games total this coming season.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm
I hate the pick of Sewell.

Jeff Seidel of the Freep's analysis is spot on. Lions should've traded down or taken a play maker at #7 overall.

Didn't figure they'd draft a QB this year. Was hoping they'd pick a cornerback or a receiver.

They'll probably win 3 games total this coming season.
You're the one that likes Jeff Seidel?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 pm

He is correct on this matter.

Justn Fields went to the Bears. Mac Jones to the Pats. Watch one or both guys turn into a darn good pro QB by year two. Watch Goff have a really crappy season this year.

At least they didn't make as stupid of a pick as the 49'ers, who took the QB from puny North Dakota State (!!!) with the #3 overall pick. Some predicted that pick, many pundits seem OK with it, but I think it was a senseless gamble.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 pm

A quick google search for Draft grades and how various sources graded Detroit's pick:

sportingnews.com - A
The Ringer - A+
DraftKings - A
CBS Sports - B+
Fox Sports - A
USA Today - A
WalterFootball - A+
SBNation - A+
NJ.com - B+
------------------------------
Average - A

So MW you appear to be in a minority on this one.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:42 am

I'm glad those sources disagree with me.

So many needs are more important than offensive lineman for the Lions right now.

I would've tried to trade down and acquire more picks. Since they passed on taking a QB yesterday, they sure as hell better not draft a QB tonight. No point in taking a QB in round two or three.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:42 am

So many needs are more important than offensive lineman for the Lions right now.

I would've tried to trade down and acquire more picks. Since they passed on taking a QB yesterday, they sure as hell better not draft a QB tonight. No point in taking a QB in round two or three.
You should be careful being down on sleeper quarterbacks in the lower rounds or from small schools.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:01 am

The Lions don't have the luxury of taking such gambles. They need to fix their leaky defense and also find a decent receiver.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 am

I'm delighted with the pick of Sewel and glad they didn't go for glamor. When the Bengals took Chase and then the Dolphins took Waddle it was becoming more and more inevitable. WRs are a luxury for the Lions at this point and we already have a QB, whatever one thinks of Goff. When it was becoming obvious there wasn't going to be a trade down, I was worried they might go with LB Parsons or CB Surtain considering needs on defense, but they went with "best player available". Sewel will start immediately at RT.

The way things are shaping up, there should be a few excellent WRs available near the top of Round 2 as well as DBs. I'd be very disappointed if they picked a QB anywhere in this draft; I'm happy with Boyle and Blough behind Goff.

FWIW, Chad Reuter of NFL.com gave the Sewel pick an A+ where the lowest grade for the entire first round was C, not including the woeful Houston Texans who had no pick after giving away the farm for Laremy Tunsil. Pete Prisco at CBSsports.com gave the Sewel pick a B+.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am

I'm with moldy....I like the pick. I didn't think any of the QB's available were worth it. Fields is an OSU QB and I can count the successful NFL QB's from that school on my third hand. Not like the Bears have a great track record picking that position anyway. Lie-downs are 2-3 years away from being competitive, this is a good building block.

The censorship king from out of state.

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:42 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 pm
A quick google search for Draft grades and how various sources graded Detroit's pick:

sportingnews.com - A
The Ringer - A+
DraftKings - A
CBS Sports - B+
Fox Sports - A
USA Today - A
WalterFootball - A+
SBNation - A+
NJ.com - B+
------------------------------
Average - A

So MW you appear to be in a minority on this one.
97.1 had Mike Lombardi on with Stoney and Jansen on Thursday morning, and his take was that Sewell needed to be the Lions' choice if he was available at 7. Lombardi's position was you build your O-lines and D-lines first and go out from there, and that skill players like WR's and RB's can be plucked off the street for cheap. He went on to say every example of teams that tried to build by drafting skill players high in the draft never achieve any real success. That certainly describes the Lions' recent history quite accurately.

Discount Lombardi if you don't like him personally, but the guy has three SB rings and has been part of successful NFL organizations. I respect his take on what works in the NFL.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 pm

I do like the second round pick of Levi a great deal.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:55 pm

My Texans are probably going to be trash for a few years, but I do like the drafting of WR Nico Collins! He is Michigan's best draftee this year. Can't explain crap about the Stanford QB pick. Yikes!

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 am

Well, one thing is certain -- the overarching draft strategy for the Lions is to beef up the lines on both sides of the ball and achieve some OL and DL depth. The two DTs taken in Rounds 2 and 3, along with getting Brockers, makes me think Holmes is trying to replicate what he did with the Rams. Is there another Aaron Donald in this bunch?

FWIW, Chad Reuter at NFL.com gave the Lions the lowest grade of all teams in Round 2, a C+, ostensibly because they didn't address more pressing needs, presumably WR and LB. I say screw needs, get players, bite some kneecaps! :twisted:
[Mike] Lombardi's position was you build your O-lines and D-lines first and go out from there, and that skill players like WR's and RB's can be plucked off the street for cheap. He went on to say every example of teams that tried to build by drafting skill players high in the draft never achieve any real success.
Bingo! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 am
FWIW, Chad Reuter at NFL.com gave the Lions the lowest grade of all teams in Round 2, a C+, ostensibly because they didn't address more pressing needs, presumably WR and LB.
Ask and ye shall receive, Chad...in Round 4. :hat We also picked up a late 7th Rounder in trade.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 01, 2021 8:36 pm

The Lions will have puke garbage at WR and (still) a half assed run game unless they make some moves in free agency.

No Golladay. No Jones. Who the fuck will replace them? Guess time will tell.

My gut tells me the upcoming season will be a debacle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic