Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bracketology

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Bracketology

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Wow, Illinois is #1 and Loyola Chicago is #8 in the midwest region.

Could make for a highly entertaining intrastate matchup in round two.

Michigan is #1 in the East and will play the winner of Mount St. Mary's and Texas Southern. If they survive to the Sweet 16, they could face Florida State.

MSU got screwed and wound up in a first four matchup against UCLA! The winner faces 6 seed BYU in the East. The two recent losses against Maryland must've hurt MSU. Had Michigan won both regular season contests, MSU would've failed to make the cut. Opportunity missed for the Wolverines in that rivalry.

It's a far longshot, but an East regional final pitting U-M against MSU is a remote possibility!

Matt

Re: Bracketology

Post by Matt » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:41 pm

MSU is lucky to be in.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:51 pm

For sure. Very unusual for a non-tournament winner with a 15 - 12 (i.e. winning percentage under .600) record to make the cut. All three late season victories against top 10 ranked opponents were absolutely needed.

Brooks missing most of the East Lansing game and Livers evidently playing hurt contributed to the MSU win. But I do give MSU a lot of credit as well; they played great defense that game.

I had MSU as a 10 seed.

I will be curious to see how good Houston truly is. I think Gonzaga is potentially fraudulent.

I like Illinois to win it all. Hope like hell I'm wrong. I'll be roroting hard for Loyola.

Unless Florida State has injury woes of their own or Livers makes a speedy recovery, I like them over Michigan.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:06 pm

MSU stinks, but this smells like TV to me. How were we not seeded higher than Syracuse? No bracketologist had us in the last 4...Lunardi had us a 11,Palm a 10.

Michigan will be the 1st #1 seed out. LSU might get em. Livers loss is big.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Could definitely happen; that LSU game will not at all be easy.

LSU played very well in the SEC tournament. Lost to top seed 'Bama in the championship game by a point. Can definitely make a case that LSU should've been seeded more generously.

I would've had Syracuse as a last four in team. They, like MSU, played better late in the season, but Syracuse lacks victories against top notch opponents. North Carolina isn't top notch this year. Hell, they're not even second tier. Syracuse ought to be the school facing UCLA.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Michigan can make it to the final four, but it won't be a cakewalk.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:21 pm

After looking at FSU more closely, I think LSU might actually be a tougher opponent. I'm going to reverse what I wrote earlier. If Michigan gets past LSU, I think they will defeat Florida State.

FSU played not nearly as well in the second half of its season as the first half.

Alabama is a very good team but is inconsistent. They have losses in the regular season against the likes of Stanford, Western Kentucky, and Auburn. All bad losses! The Auburn loss came this month, too. They also have a few losses against quality opponents (Arkansas and Oklahoma as two examples).

A game against Bama is winnable. I suspect Ohio State is a better team than Bama, and despite having no Livers, a horrible game from Wagner, and a mediocre game from Smith, Michigan damn near pulled a victory out of its ass against Ohio State yesterday.

So, when looking at it on a game-by-game basis, I do agree a path exists to make it to the Final Four, even with Michigan's injury woes.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:57 am

Don't sleep on Houston. They beat an injury riddled Cincinnati team 91-54 yesterday in their conference final game.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:41 am

Alabama's coach (Nate Oats) coached at Romulus High School in the early 2010s, including their state championship year in 2013

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:27 am

Don't sleep on Houston.
The "ceiling" on Houston is very difficult to gauge for sure. Great team in crap conference, although not nearly as bad as the athletic conference in which Gonzaga plays.

I would fault no one for picking Houston to make it to the final four.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:36 pm

My FF is Alabama, Arkansas, Gonzaga, and Illinois. Illini beating the Zags in the final.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:51 pm

I'm having a very tough time filling out my bracket this year. MSU may be POTENTIALLY the most dangerous 11-seed to ever make the tournament given the quality of some of their wins. Gonzaga may be undefeated but they haven't played a top 25 team since December. Baylor I think has the best overall resume but they have struggled a bit as of late, AND they'll have a tough match-up in the 2nd round against either NC or Wisconsin. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are both better than their seed. And of course, there's the wildcard of Covid.

I'll make 5 predictions:
-Gonzaga doesn't make the Final 4.
-The winner of the MSU/UCLA game makes the Sweet 16.
-One of either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State makes the Elite 8.
-No 16s, 15s, 14s, or 11s win this year. Colgate as a 13-seed wins, maybe? Hard to say with their 14-1 record. There's a good chance that two of the 12s win a game.
-A 6-seed makes the Elite 8.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:16 am

I have Iowa, Florida State, Houston, and Buckeyes in my final 4.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm picking Illinois to win it all. I agree Gonzaga will not make it to the Final Four.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 pm

I can't find the answer to this. Today, Arkansas played at one venue and Texas Tech played at another. They play each other Sunday....but where? It would be an unfair advantage for one team to play at the same venue they just played. Or since there are 6 venues, is it another place all together?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic