Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:35 am

Yahoo Sports described Goff's contract as disastrous and NBC Sports wrote five days ago that he would be "hard to trade" because of the contract.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:49 am

Lions fans should be dancing in the streets over this deal.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 am
I wonder if any viable path would've existed to get Deshaun Watson here? More expensive than Goff but much better player.
Watson has to approve any trade which immediately rules out Detroit.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 am

From the Athletic:
Having said that, it’s hard to look at this trade from the Lions’ perspective and conclude that they didn’t maximize compensation for Stafford.
They gave the Lions an A and the Rams a C. Again, the Lions made a great deal.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 am

Was that a Detroit writer from the Athletic or someone else? Just curious.

Thanks, Motown, for the info regarding Watson! Now I see why a lot of folks believe he'll land in New England.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 am

Goff seemed to wear out his welcome in L.A.

McVay and he were not on good terms.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 am
Was that a Detroit writer from the Athletic or someone else? Just curious.

Thanks, Motown, for the info regarding Watson! Now I see why a lot of folks believe he'll land in New England.
Looks like a national guy: https://theathletic.com/author/sheil-kapadia/

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 pm

I'm fairly giddy about the trade, if for no other reason than getting Goff precludes the absolute necessity of drafting a QB in the first round this year. Unless "our guy" is there picking at #7, you can just take the best player available regardless of position. The draft capital acquired in future years lends a great deal of flexibility, allowing a clear assessment of needs this year.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:24 pm

I just read on SB Nation that Goff is owed no guaranteed money after 2022 if the Lions wish to move on from him. Dump him after 2021, and he will be owed only $15.5 million and the Lions will conserve $10 million in cap space for 2022. This is probably what honeyman was referencing earlier.

So, now that I'm aware of that fact, I'm feeling better about this deal.

Goff won't be the guy that leads the Lions to the promised land, though, in my opinion. His past two seasons were not good. See the article at freep.com.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:24 pm
Goff won't be the guy that leads the Lions to the promised land, though, in my opinion. His past two seasons were not good. See the article at freep.com.
The "promised land" is so far off I hardly think it matters. Goff is a former first overall pick who has played in a Super Bowl. He's also only 26 years old. How he holds up on a much less talented team without the likes of a Todd Gurley running the ball will go a long way in determining his long-term value to the Lions.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:11 pm

Well said! I agree completely.

Rams are definitely in win now mode. They hand out 1st round draft picks like Monopoly money.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:14 pm

Stafford didn't want to go to New England. He must really hate fat Matt Patricia.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:21 pm

Great point. :)

Stafford has had a vacation home in southern California for a while, from what I understand. He's also a schoolmate and longtime friend of an obscure Dodgers starting pitcher. (What's that dude's name again? LOL)

He and Kelly are probably thrilled to be going to L.A. He will quickly beome a pariah, though, if he doesn't win out there.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:34 pm

At the end of the day, Detroit needed a QB to replace Stafford, and I think Goff is probably as good as they were going to get. Tack on 2 first round draft picks (and even a 3rd rounder this year) and I really, really like this deal.

I still wonder if they have other plans for those future picks to be traded for something else this season. Like, some veteran defensive players.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:56 pm

Regarding Deshaun Watson, the Texans' GM already said he doesn't want to trade him even Watson wants out. Could this be posturing to get better trade value? Possibly, but I don't know. As a Texans fan, I am just happy O'Brien is no longer in the mix. Watson is young enough where they can rebuild around him, but they have to put big pieces around him to show they want to win again.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic