Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff + a bunch of draft picks

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:34 pm
I still wonder if they have other plans for those future picks to be traded for something else this season. Like, some veteran defensive players.
I can't believe they'd commit to a rebuild and then trade valuable high draft picks for second-tier veterans; it would be too Lionesque. :razz If they want veterans they'll always be available after roster cut-downs.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:21 pm
Great point. :)

Stafford has had a vacation home in southern California for a while, from what I understand. He's also a schoolmate and longtime friend of an obscure Dodgers starting pitcher. (What's that dude's name again? LOL)

He and Kelly are probably thrilled to be going to L.A. He will quickly beome a pariah, though, if he doesn't win out there.
You be thinking of Dodger ace, Clayton Kershaw.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Now that facts have emerged regarding competing offers for Stafford, I am feeling much better about this deal.

No one else to the best of my knowledge offered two first round picks.

Carolina's offer of the no. 8 overall pick this year, while formidable, would have offered the Lions no crutch if the pick turned out to be a dud.

Washington offered a 1st round pick (only 19 overall, I believe) for this year plus a later round pick. You might not get a franchise guy at 19, and again, not much to fall back on.

The extra 1st round pick was clearly the premium for the Lions swallowing Goff's contract. Getting a 3rd round pick is also nothing to sneeze at, either!

So, I definitely like the deal now given the options that were on the table and knowing what I now know regarding the guaranteed money portion of the Goff contract.

I do still fear this coach and front office won't ditch Goff at the right time should his performance prove unimpressive. However, that issue is independent of evaluating the deal itself.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 am

Thinking of all the teams who lost out in the Stafford bidding who still have QB issues to address, it might allow the Lions to either trade down in the draft should one of the QBs drop to #7; or should there be an interest in Goff, to accumulate even more draft capital. The latter scenario is unlikely considering his contract and recent performance, but ya never know. Personally, I wouldn't want the Lions to reach for a QB in the draft, seeing if the veteran Goff can handle the load with a change in venue and new coaching staff.
MWmetalhead wrote:No one else to the best of my knowledge offered two first round picks.
If the Rams catch fire with Stafford those picks would be in the late 20s or 30s; if not and the Rams implode in the next two years.... :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:38 am

We definitely need to root for the Rams to have a couple horrible seasons! (Sorry, Stafford.)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:37 am

At least it will answer the question of whether or not Stafford is the "fraud" that the likes of Fuzzpower make him out to be. :smokin

I've been watching YouTube highlights of Goff. One thing is certain, he doesn't throw nearly the clean spirals as does Stafford. He seems to be most adept at the rollout pass out of play-action to intermediate receivers.

- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:52 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:37 am
At least it will answer the question of whether or not Stafford is the "fraud" that the likes of Fuzzpower make him out to be. :smokin

I've been watching YouTube highlights of Goff. One thing is certain, he doesn't throw nearly the clean spirals as does Stafford. He seems to be most adept at the rollout pass out of play-action to intermediate receivers.
I think Goff stinks. If he has a clean pocket and an open receiver, he can hit him. But he usually locks in on his first read, and if he is pressured, will make the wrong decision more often than not.

I still like the trade very much. We will stink next year and probably be lousy the year after that, but hopefully this will pay off. And I'm happy for Stafford. Too good of a player to be wasted on the Lie-downs.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:35 am

Horror of horrors -- if either Stafford or Goff don't pass their physical thus possibly negating the trade before it becomes official in March. :shock:

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Naturally, I was overjoyed when Stafford was sent out. I’m not a Goff fan, but he’s younger and has actually won a playoff game. The draft picks are a crapshoot.

The Rams play in a tough division.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am

I watched a repeat of an early season game between the Rams and Bills on NFL Network yesterday. Goff brought the Rams back from 20+ down in the second half and looked darn good doing it. He still has "something".

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic