Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Olympic Games Have Jumped The Shark

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
tapeisrolling

Re: The Olympic Games Have Jumped The Shark

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Maybe just me but I lost interest when the PRO'S started competing. It was amateur's not million dollar folks.

I was paid for coaching high school track several years after I had competed and the AD, as he paid me, said, "If you want to compete again you'll have to pay this all back." Then the rules changed so athletes could make up to $100k a year before losing eligibility. Now it's who cares.

moldyoldie

Re: The Olympic Games Have Jumped The Shark

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:27 am

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:32 pm
Maybe just me but I lost interest when the PRO'S started competing. It was amateur's not million dollar folks.

I was paid for coaching high school track several years after I had competed and the AD, as he paid me, said, "If you want to compete again you'll have to pay this all back." Then the rules changed so athletes could make up to $100k a year before losing eligibility. Now it's who cares.
I couldn't agree more! Loved watching the kids and mature amateurs from around the world compete. Of course, some of those "amateurs" were subsidized by their respective governments.

The issue is akin to what's happening to college football and basketball. With so much media money sloshing around, are the unpaid athletes being unfairly exploited?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic