Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gardenhire retires with eight games left to play; cites job related stress

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Gardenhire retires with eight games left to play; cites job related stress

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 am

Apparently A.J. Hinch and Alex Cora, both involved in the notorious cheating scandal a couple years ago, are on the Tigers' list of managerial candidates. It's difficult for me to believe they'll go with "Legendary Lloyd" yet again unless they're either desperate or Leyland insists.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:22 pm

I'll be damned - they pulled the trigger on Hinch! Tigers got lucky; I assumed Hinch would be going to the White Sox.

When viewed against the list of other candidates for the post, I completely understand why Al Avila went with Hinch. Every other interviewee had inferior credentials.

Avila, wisely, has been working hard to build the Tigers' analytical capabilities. They finally have a skipper who can now put all that information to good use.

Yes, Hinch's baggage worries me to a degree, but every other candidate for the job was underwhelming. I think this could turn out well for the Tigers. Next season won't be too telling but 2022 will be very telling, IMO.

I am glad Lloyd McClendon wasn't given the nod. I am sure as hell glad Don Kelly wasn't hired.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:07 pm

I like the hire of AJ Hinch as the Tigers manger.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Biggest accomplishment by far during Al Avila's tenure as GM. I thought almost for certain they'd hire someone unremarkable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic