Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MAC has cancelled its 2020 football season

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

MAC has cancelled its 2020 football season

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Early this morning, the MAC announced the outright cancellation of its 2020 football season.

It will be interesting to see if other FBS conferences follow suit.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/08/mac-cance ... ll-season/

https://apnews.com/686f6d763aceb196593a ... ce=Twitter

Personally, I'm thrilled that ultra boring MAC conference football games will not be pervading Michigan's radio airwaves this autumn! :)

Lester The Nightfly

Re: MAC has cancelled its 2020 football season

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:01 pm

UConn football cancelled their season and I've read that the PAC-12 is close to calling off their season as well.

I suspect the entire 2020 college football season is done. There may be one or two conferences that may go ahead and play, notably the SEC and the Big 10, if only because they've in large measure have already demonstrated that player welfare is secondary to maintaining cash flow.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pm

Mac will be playing in the Spring.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Although that is the current plan, it is by no means final.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:22 pm

College football is broken. I'd be shocked if after this pandemic is over that the same FBS / FCS setup survives intact.

The difference between game day in East Lansing / Ann Arbor / South Bend couldn't be more different than game day in Mt. Pleasant / Kalamazoo / Ypsilanti.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Well I'll be jiggered and stand corrected, the Big 10 postpones all Fall sports including football.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Well I'll be jiggered and stand corrected, the Big 10 postpones all Fall sports including football.
One thing I have noticed is that the two Power 5 leagues that have called off football have members primarily in blue states and the three that still plan on playing have most of its members in red states.
Pac-12 has 9 members (Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State) in solid blue states, 2 members (Arizona, Arizona State) in a purple (but shifting blue) state, and only 1 member (Utah) in a solid red state.
Big 10 has 5 members (Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers) in solid blue states, 5 members (Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin) in purple states, and 4 members (Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue) in solid red states.

The Big 12 has 10 members and all of them are in traditionally solid red states, although Texas might be shifting toward purple.
The SEC's 14 members are mostly in solid red states, with the exception of Florida and Georgia, which are purple states.
The ACC has 3 members (Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame*) in solid red states, 8 members (Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), North Carolina, NC State, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest) in purple stares, and 4 members (Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech) in solid blue states.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:13 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:23 pm
One thing I have noticed is that the two Power 5 leagues that have called off football have members primarily in blue states and the three that still plan on playing have most of its members in red states.
Pac-12 has 9 members (Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State) in solid blue states, 2 members (Arizona, Arizona State) in a purple (but shifting blue) state, and only 1 member (Utah) in a solid red state.
Big 10 has 5 members (Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers) in solid blue states, 5 members (Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin) in purple states, and 4 members (Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue) in solid red states.

The Big 12 has 10 members and all of them are in traditionally solid red states, although Texas might be shifting toward purple.
The SEC's 14 members are mostly in solid red states, with the exception of Florida and Georgia, which are purple states.
The ACC has 3 members (Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame*) in solid red states, 8 members (Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), North Carolina, NC State, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest) in purple stares, and 4 members (Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech) in solid blue states.
In terms of epidemiology, the red-blue thing should be a non-issue. 'rona don't care, but you're right. It's in some ways not surprising that two teams making the most noise about their conference suspending play are Nebraska and Notre Dame. Best of luck to them (especially Nebraska) should they choose to walk away from the benefits of being a member of good standing in a conference. There's a finite amount of cash ESPN would shell out to carry Nebraska-only football. As for the Irish, there's always the Notre Dame Broadcasting Company. I did have to laugh at Lou "Granny" Holtz take on comparing sportsball to storming Normandy. https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/lou-ho ... mandy.html.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic