Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cleveland Indians considering name change

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Cleveland Indians considering name change

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 am

Ok, this social justice PC bullshit is seriously now getting out of control.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/cance ... id/975665/

Deleted User 4520

Re: Cleveland Indians considering name change

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:49 am

Agreed, out of control. People need to stop being pansies and get over it. Hypersensitivity will be the doom of us all. We can't rewrite or ignore history.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:17 am

Cleveland Sucks?

Cleveland Trash?

Cleveland Mistakes?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:17 am
Cleveland Sucks?

Cleveland Trash?

Cleveland Mistakes?
For once, I’m going to agree with you...

Jacques Strap

Post by Jacques Strap » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 am

The time for a major clean up in the naming of sporting teams is long overdue.

Miami Dolphins, Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions. - Animal exploitation

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Pittsburgh Pirates. - Glorification of piracy

Blue Jays, Orioles, Penguins and Cardinals. - Appropriating the names of bird species without any compensation.

Canucks. - A racial epithet.

L A Dodgers.- Mocks the President's military record.

You don't have to be a good sport, to be a mad one.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Jacques Strap wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 am
The time for a major clean up in the naming of sporting teams is long overdue.

Miami Dolphins, Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions. - Animal exploitation

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Pittsburgh Pirates. - Glorification of piracy

Blue Jays, Orioles, Penguins and Cardinals. - Appropriating the names of bird species without any compensation.

Canucks. - A racial epithet.

L A Dodgers.- Mocks the President's military record.
Maybe that’s why the lions never win... quick rename them... go!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 pm

If "Cleveland Indians" is unacceptable, I don't see how "Boston Celtics" is acceptable.

The problem with Cleveland's MLB team isn't the name, it's the hideous cartoonish logo. It should be changed to something more dignified.

But if we're talking name changes - here's a nomination I'd like to submit: Cleveland Steamers. :lol

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 am

Cleveland has retired Chief Wahoo with the lame C logo I have no problem with the Indian's name just need a way better logo is all. The Redskins are changing the name which when I have ever heard Redskins was the football team in Washington and not as a racial slur what it was hundreds of years ago. I believe the Blackhawks will be on the PC culture/madness phony outrage list next to get a name change just my opinion.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 pm
If "Cleveland Indians" is unacceptable, I don't see how "Boston Celtics" is acceptable.
It would be interesting if someone Irish said the name offends them because their ancestors had to flee Ireland due to persecution.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 am

MasterB wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 am
Cleveland has retired Chief Wahoo with the lame C logo I have no problem with the Indian's name just need a way better logo is all. The Redskins are changing the name which when I have ever heard Redskins was the football team in Washington and not as a racial slur what it was hundreds of years ago. I believe the Blackhawks will be on the PC culture/madness phony outrage list next to get a name change just my opinion.
I think you'll see all 3 change names before it's said and done. The media is on a mission. They're not going to let up.

Correct me if I'm wrong. When this Redskins thing popped up a few years ago, didn't Native Americans come out and say they didn't really care. And it doesn't offend them?

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 pm

The problem with Cleveland's MLB team isn't the name, it's the hideous cartoonish logo. It should be changed to something more dignified.

But if we're talking name changes - here's a nomination I'd like to submit: Cleveland Steamers. :lol
I would agree, the logo is really the problem and while it has been "officially" retired, it's inextricably tied to the club's name. I say "officially" because there's a sizable contingent of refuse to accept that the Chief Wahoo character is/was/will for ever be a horribly racist depiction of native Amercians. There's still a brisk trade in items bearing the logo. That bell can't be unrung, so maybe just clean house entirely.

I'd be more apt to wear "Steamers" gear than anything their selling in the gift shop these days... Roll Steamers!!!!! The Cleveland River-Fires might work well too.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:30 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 am
MasterB wrote:
I think you'll see all 3 change names before it's said and done. The media is on a mission. They're not going to let up.

Correct me if I'm wrong. When this Redskins thing popped up a few years ago, didn't Native Americans come out and say they didn't really care. And it doesn't offend them?
Washington Post polls from 2016 & 2019 said that 90% of Native Americans don't find the Redskins name offensive.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 pm

"Roll Steamers!!!!"

I love it!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 pm

MasterB wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:30 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 am
MasterB wrote:

Washington Post polls from 2016 & 2019 said that 90% of Native Americans don't find the Redskins name offensive.
The majority owner has created a standoff. Let's see if the NFL has the balls to finally do what's respectful...
Top sponsors have taken a public stance. Minority owners are trying to jump ship, according to multiple reports. And as a new week begins, the Washington Redskins continue to face simmering — and steadily building — pressure to change their team name, which critics have long decried as a racial slur.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic