Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:32 pm

UM knew of sex abuse reports against doctor 19 months before going public

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 809741002/

A lot of people forget that before coming to MSU, Nassar got an undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, and that was reportedly where he started to work with local athletes. While he was there, he worked with the UM football and track and field teams, and was supervised or mentored by....WAIT FOR IT......UM doctor Robert E. Anderson. If the allegations about Anderson are true, it will be interesting to see how much of a connection there is between the two. Nassar got his UM degree in 1985, so this would have been during the Bo Schembechler era.

From the Detroit News:

"He also said a UM police detective told him the university became aware of allegations against Anderson years ago, then moved him from his post at UM Student Health Services to become the team physician for UM athletes."

I wonder when he was moved to become team physician. It was either while Bo Schembechler was the football coach, or after he became athletic director in 1988. Either way, it seems far fetched that Bo wouldn't have known about Anderson and why the move was

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:54 pm

This is going to get really, really bad for the University of Michigan:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 835017002/

At least one administrators knew in the LATE 70's that this guy was a pervert!!! After being fired from his role at the university at the time, he was soon after rehired and allowed to serve as a physician on campus for another QUARTER CENTURY!

There's no doubt in my mind there was a cover-up or willful indifference toward this man's alleged conduct by university administrators over a lengthy period of time.

Too bad all of this didn't come to light 30 or more years ago. This man should've spent the elderly years of his life rotting in a jail cell!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Graphic details of a molestation incident in this MLive article:

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... ester.html

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:42 am

It shouldn't surprise us that Athletic programs have these characters. What is surprising is that these incidents have been going on for so long, but haven't been reported until recently. Send your college age children to 4 year commuter colleges to avoid most of this crap.
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:23 am

A lot of jobs or mentee roles where adults have direct access to youth with little to no parental supervision are harbors for dangerous individuals.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:07 pm

I’m reading through the documents on Anderson that the Detroit News provided. 
Warde Manuel received a letter from a victim on July 18, 2018. The survivor was 17 when he was first penetrated anally by Anderson’s fingers, while being inspected for a cold sore on his mouth. This was 1972. Two years later, in 1974, while being inspected for an elbow injury the wrestler was anally penetrated again, under the guise of “prostate exam”.
In the letter to Manuel, the victim states that a football player admitted to him that he was also anally penetrated by Dr. Anderson’s fingers when he went to see him for a bruised shoulder. This was also 1974.
Attorney John Manly, who represented the Nassar victims and orchestrated the $500M settlement, is very likely going to focus on this anal penetration by Dr. Anderson. I have to imagine that any male athletes that were inspected by Dr. Anderson after 1979 (when he was fired then brought on with the athletic program) for any above the waist issues, which then resulted in Dr. Anderson conducting a “prostate exam”, are going to be entitled to compensation. 
We may be talking about hundreds of victims. Everyone that played football at the University of Michigan from 1980-2004 was very possibly a victim given what we’ve already learned, and this thing is just getting started.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm

I have to imagine that any male athletes that were inspected by Dr. Anderson after 1979 (when he was fired then brought on with the athletic program) for any above the waist issues, which then resulted in Dr. Anderson conducting a “prostate exam”, are going to be entitled to compensation.
They absolutely should receive compensation of some kind; I completely agree.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:56 am

Denhollander: UM ‘chose corruption’ in response to doctor’s sex abuse

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 111364760/

“Instead of immediately pursuing transparency, and saying `How could this happen on our watch? We are going to make sure this never happens again.’ They kept it quiet and buried it,” Denhollander said in a telephone interview. “They forced the survivors to have to speak publicly to get anything to happen. That’s despicable. It’s re-victimizing and re-violating.”

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:37 am

I have not heard one person associated with the University of Michigan trying to say this didn't happen or attacking the media for reporting on the absolutely deplorable activity that took place on the campus. I'll admit, I haven't read the police report details, but if Gary Moeller and Lloyd Carr have not been interviewed about Anderson's employment under their regimes, that needs to happen. Its embarrassing that this happened and should be fully investigated.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:39 am

The only question I have here is - who is more corrupt?

The University of Michigan or the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office?

It's obvious why no public call for victims to come forward was made in summer 2018 - the university was frightened by what might be uncovered!

THANK GOD for the Detroit News!!! This in all likelihood would still be under wraps today if not for their investigative reporting.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:39 am
The only question I have here is - who is more corrupt?

The University of Michigan or the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office?

It's obvious why no public call for victims to come forward was made in summer 2018 - the university was frightened by what might be uncovered!

THANK GOD for the Detroit News!!! This in all likelihood would still be under wraps today if not for their investigative reporting.
What can realistically be done at this point? The guy has been dead for 12 years. I don't think much good could have come from publicly announcing a police investigation. It's worth pointing out that an investigation did occur. That doesn't happen at other places in the state.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:46 am

What's embarrassing is the fact the university tried to keep the report of abuse on the "down low" for a year and a half!

Simply relaying the report of abuse to the prosecutor's office is not nearly enough. Given the fact the perpetrator is deceased, the prosecutor's office probably wasn't very motivated (although some diligence was clearly performed).

I honestly don't care a ton about what coaches might say about a two faced con-man. My guess is they were hoodwinked. I want to hear from his former patients.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:48 am

You are so full of shit, Matt.

By announcing an investigation, national media attention would have compelled his victims to come forward!

How the fuck would they otherwise know this scumbag was being investigated?

I guess you think it's better for the county prosecutor to attempt to find current contact info for students who attended the school 20, 30, 40 years ago on their own? Yeah, good luck with that.

It is obvious the school wanted to do the bare minimum in this matter. Their minimalist actions suggest their primary focus was on avoiding legal risk to the school.

The victims deserve a monetary settlement.

I want to know how many former patients were interviewed by the prosecutor's office! I also want to know why the investigation wasn't announced as being "closed" until The Detroit News story ran. Only a total moron would accept the suggestion the timing was a sheer coincidence at face value.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:48 am
You are so full of shit, Matt.

By announcing an investigation, national media attention would have compelled his victims to come forward!

How the fuck would they otherwise know this scumbag was being investigated?

I guess you think it's better for the county prosecutor to attempt to find current contact info for students who attended the school 20, 30, 40 years ago on their own? Yeah, good luck with that.

It is obvious the school wanted to do the bare minimum in this matter. Their minimalist actions suggest their primary focus was on avoiding legal risk to the school.

The victims deserve a monetary settlement.
Wrong. The fact that the investigation was an investigation into a person who had been dead for a decade meant that any investigation would be into the people that allowed this to go unchecked. Why would you alert people that could be under investigation?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 am

First of all, the risk of bad actors destroying discoverable evidence would have occurred regardless of publicity or lack thereof. If you know you did something wrong, and you're an immoral person, you cover your tracks.

Second, you announce the investigation so that victims who are likely dispersed throughout the world know who to contact to share information.

The actual investigative work concluded months ago. Was the county keeping the investigation open on purpose so as to provide university administrators a convenient excuse? That, I cannot say.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic