Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB Postseason Expansion Looming?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: MLB Postseason Expansion Looming?

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:54 pm

I think five teams per league is appropriate. I say leave the current format alone! That - and shorten the regular season by six games (about one week).

The expansion proposal can best be described as a confusing clusterfuck!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... port-says/

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 am

What do you guys think of the three batter rule? Not so sure I like it.

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 am

I just heard about the three batter rule this morning. I don't think I favor this. Sometimes a pitching change is situational and you take 'em out when they get the out. I really don't understand the MLB's desire to change the rules and how the game is played.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... um-for-rps

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 am
Sadly reduces the chance they run out of pitchers and some scrub outfielder who did a little pitching in high school gets tossed on the mound to close out a game...

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Honeyman wrote:

I saw them try it in the minors last season. Hate it. There’s no rule saying a position player has to play a certain amount of innings, or a batter has to hit so many times. It’s change just for change, and no, the games will not go faster. It means less in game roster managing. That was always part of the strategy of the game, just like pinch hitting for your starter in a 1-1 game, or pinch running for your slow slugging first baseman when he’s the tying run.

12-10 games generally take longer than 2-1 games.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm
Honeyman wrote:

I saw them try it in the minors last season. Hate it. There’s no rule saying a position player has to play a certain amount of innings, or a batter has to hit so many times. It’s change just for change, and no, the games will not go faster. It means less in game roster managing. That was always part of the strategy of the game, just like pinch hitting for your starter in a 1-1 game, or pinch running for your slow slugging first baseman when he’s the tying run.

12-10 games generally take longer than 2-1 games.
Yeah, I'm not exactly positive it's a sure fire way to speed up the game, if that's what was behind the rule change. I'd be curious to see the stats on when, in terms of number of outs, a pitcher is usually brought in for a single batter. If there's no or only one out and the guy is getting rocked, the next pitcher will usually close out the frame. So is it mostly just for a two out situation? Of course there's the lefty/lefty, righty/righty thing that comes into play so mangers might have to be very careful about not getting burned on a pitcher change depending on the batting order and lineup if they have to stick with their horse for three batters.

As much as I hate to sit though a lot of pitching changes, this new rule seems like a solution in search of a problem.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 pm

TheForce wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:56 pm
I think 150 regular season games is fair. The wild card should be scrapped. Why should a lesser team in a division have a shot? It kinda cheapens being a divisional winner.
If there has to be any wildcards, I prefer the current system. With two wild card teams, it amounts to what is a "play in" for both teams. The original wildcard format automatically put the wildcard team into the division series, which think was a load of crap.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 pm

Keep the current playoffs as is. I like the DH NL should go to DH pitchers can't hit and they shouldn't have to hit AL gets it right with the DH and no pitchers hitting. I'm fine with the netting as it doesn't hurt the view of the game just my opinion.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 pm
Keep the current playoffs as is. I like the DH NL should go to DH pitchers can't hit and they shouldn't have to hit AL gets it right with the DH and no pitchers hitting. I'm fine with the netting as it doesn't hurt the view of the game just my opinion.
More pitchers are learning how to hit. Granted, most still can’t. Having a DH takes some of the strategy out of the game regards to managing your bench and handling pitchers.

Netting hurts the view of the game, I have been behind it and it’s distracting.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm

I watch a lot of National League game and I can say many pitchers can definitely hit. I even seen some hit homers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm

You guys are probably too young, but remember Earl Wilson? Played on the Tigers in the 60's, and on the WS team in '68. GREAT hitting pitcher! Mayo Smith used him as a pinch hitter all the time. His lifetime batting average was around .200 and he hit 35 homers in his career.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm

The first Tiger game I ever went to...1966 against the Baltimore Orioles. That was the team with Boog Powell, Frank & Brooks Robinson, and others. Anyway, the game went 15 innings. Both teams ran out of bench players, so up comes Earl Wilson to pinch hit. He hit a 3-run homer to win the game. I think Gates Brown also beat out a bunt in that game.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm

It's a terrible idea; I hope it does not get adopted in the majors!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm
It's a terrible idea; I hope it does not get adopted in the majors!
It is....this year.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm
The first Tiger game I ever went to...1966 against the Baltimore Orioles. That was the team with Boog Powell, Frank & Brooks Robinson, and others. Anyway, the game went 15 innings. Both teams ran out of bench players, so up comes Earl Wilson to pinch hit. He hit a 3-run homer to win the game. I think Gates Brown also beat out a bunt in that game.
Before my time, but I would have loved to see it. This is the box score. Only went 13, but details fade over time. I know it firsthand.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 7150.shtml

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic