Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Andre Drummond thoughts

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Andre Drummond thoughts

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 am

The Pistons could & should trade the big oaf.

He has ZERO long game. His man-to-man defending skills are mixed. Bigger, stronger power forwards and centers often can score on Drummond with only mild difficulty. He gets squeamish whenever he's handed the ball anywhere that is more than five feet distant from the basket. He's not very good on stick back attempts in certain cases. His free throw shooting is streaky. In game critical "clutch situations," he is all too often unreliable.

Suffice it to say, I am not a big Drummond fan. His game would've been perfectly fine for the NBA of 15 years ago. Even today, it might be OK if the Pistons had multiple high percentage scoring threats from outside (they don't).

Now, here's what I fear:
The Pistons are under the delusion that they should receive a decent expiring current contract *and* a first round draft pick for 2020 in exchange for what is basically a "rental" (i.e. Drummond's current contract).

In all likelihood, no team is going to offer that. THE PISTONS SHOULD BE CONTENT WITH A 2020 OR A 2021 FIRST ROUND PICK...PERIOD!!!

My fear is Drummond doesn't get traded. Then, my fear is he goes out on the free agency market and demands a max or near-max contract. (Spoiler alert - NO TEAM is going to offer him that kind of money.)

After not getting the type of offers on the free agency market he is hoping to attract, he ultimately decides to "try again next summer," and exercises his player option on his current deal with the Pistons, thereby burdening all of us with his presence for the 2020 / 2021 NBA season.

Now, I will say this - I would not be opposed to the Pistons re-signing Drummond to a multi-year deal *if* the price is right. What is the right price, ya ask? Well, it's a number Drummond ain't gonna like! I'm thinking a number around $20 million a year. That would at least give the Pistons some optionality with regard to trade action moving forward and would not be excessively burdensome from a cap standpoint in the interim.

Mr.Transistor

Re: Andre Drummond thoughts

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:44 pm

It' s difficult to get interested in this Pistons team. They handicapped themselves for the future with the Griffin trade. Gores is a moron jock sniffer who just wants to live his life vicariously thru the NBA players. I'll never forget him charging the season ticket holders to go down and shoot hoops after a game at the Palace.They better get a 1st round pick out of him, they all knew he was planning on leaving early last year, no surprise.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 am

Well, I guess the main "assets" we get in trading 'Dre to the Cavs are two expiring contracts to help facilitate cap space in coming seasons. Reggie Jackson and J-Smoove will be off the books and the teardown/rebuild will begin in earnest. I'm surprised other veterans are still here, especially Derrick Rose and Luke Kennard despite their recent injuries, and I thought for certain someone would be willing to take on Jackson's expiring contract.

What did I think of Drummond as a player? Simple - not a leader, not a winner. Fans of a certain age may relate to my comparison to Walt Bellamy.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 pm

The fact Langston Galloway, Reggie Jackson and Markieff Morris are still here mystifies me. ALL THREE should've been moved, even if it was for a series of second round draft picks several years from now!

Not a big Luke Kennard fan, but he's young, relatively cheap, and still has upside.

As for keeping Derrick Rose? I'm ambivalent on that one. His groin injury may have impaired his marketability. Without knowing what was offered in terms of a return, it's hard to say if the Pistons' front office whiffed or not. They can always try to trade him in the off-season.

Pistons fucked up by not moving Drummond two years ago. They fucked up by a multiple of 1000x by making that terrible deal for Blake - I'm injured every ten seconds and make $35 million a year - Griffin. (Zero playoff wins to show for it.)

The Clippers' front office has made some masterful moves in terms of player personnel over the past few years. It's no wonder they are one of the best teams in the league right now and Detroit is one of the worst!

I completely agree with your assessment of Drummond. He is a whiny baby who plays hard only when he feels like it, and he will never be a team captain.

At least he's finally gone. With Griffin being sidelined, Pistons have a decent shot now of getting a top five overall pick this summer.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm

So, Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, and the Cavs front office describe Drummond as a "versatile center."

Have these morons watched any tape of Drummond in action?!?! Versatile is the LAST word that comes to mind!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm
So, Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, and the Cavs front office describe Drummond as a "versatile center."

Have these morons watched any tape of Drummond in action?!?! Versatile is the LAST word that comes to mind!
Maybe your boy Beilein can teach him a few things. :smokin :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:57 am

That would be truly something if he could teach Drummond to do some decent things on the perimeter!

Vince Ellis from the Freep reports this morning that inside sources from the Pistons indicate the team couldn't even nab a second round pick for either Galloway or Jackson, which is the only reason they are both still on the team. No mention of Markieff Morris, however.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:30 pm

The Cleveland sports stations are salivating over this trade. One host went as far to say Drummond is by far the best player on the team.

I don’t watch basketball and only know what I hear on sports radio or see on the sports shows, somI can’t give a real personal opinion on this.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 am

Given the fact the Cavs' lineup is filled with journeymen, has-beens, and some very young guys - being the best on THAT rotten team is not at all difficult!

Let's see how they feel if & when Drummond enters the free agency market this off season.

Oh, the Cavs played great last night! They only lost to the Clippers by 41 points at home! :lol :lol :lol

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 pm

The fact the Pistons waived both Jackson and Morris suggests to me there literally were no takers at the trade deadline!

The lack of interest in Morris was a little surprising to me. Jackson, I could understand, since he suffers debilitating injuries every five minutes.

I love the fact they are tanking on purpose by way of divestment. That is 100 percent what they should be doing right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic