Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A double-header for the Ilitch Family!!!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

A double-header for the Ilitch Family!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:16 am

In 2019, the Ilitch Family gave Detroit sports fans the worst team in all of Major League Baseball.

Now, it looks like they are well on their way to repeating that feat in the NHL!!!

Red Wings only have 17 points in the standings, good for DEAD LAST. Hockeytown USA? LMFAO!!! Yeah, right. Local sportscasts devote less time to covering the Red Wings than any of the other teams in this city, and on 97.1, the Wings seem to generate next to zero caller interest. During Valenti's show, you are much more likely to hear Pistons talk. Even during Caputo's air shifts on the weekend, I almost never hear him talk hockey anymore, and he's a pretty big hockey guy.

I think Stevie Y. needs to make a coaching change after this season - if not sooner.

Fan apathy toward the Red Wings is at its highest level in about 25 years, I would say.

Remember when Bill Davidson's team won the Stanley Cup and the Larry O'Brien Trophy the same year? The Ilitch Family is kinda doing the reverse of that!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

bmw

Re: A double-header for the Ilitch Family!!!

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:43 am

How about a quadrouble-header for the entire city of Detroit!

Detroit Pistons? 6-11 record currently. 0-12 in last 12 playoff games. No playoff wins in 11 straight seasons.
Detroit Lions? 3-7-1 record currently. 0-9 in last 9 playoff games. 1 lone playoff victory in 62 years.
Detroit Tigers? 47-114 last season. 0-5 in last 5 playoff games. Last playoff victory 6 years ago.
Detroit Red Wings? Currently last place in league. 5-12 in last 17 playoff games. Missed playoffs 3 straight years.

Combined playoff appearance record in recent years? 5-38. 5 playoff wins. 38 losses.

Is there another city in professional sports that is even remotely close to bottom-of-the-barrel as the city of Detroit?

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:16 am

Fan apathy toward the Red Wings is at its highest level in about 25 years, I would say.
More like 35. In 1994 the Wings, although they choked in the playoffs against San Jose, were one of the most exciting teams in the league and won the Central Division. Yzerman, Fedorov, Coffey and Probert thrilled sold out crowds at the Joe every night.

Now it's like back to the 70's-early 80's Dead Wings days.

Chris Illitch needs to sell BOTH teams. He is doing a disservice to the city of Detroit.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

More like 35. In 1994 the Wings, although they choked in the playoffs against San Jose, were one of the most exciting teams in the league and won the Central Division. Yzerman, Fedorov, Coffey and Probert thrilled sold out crowds at the Joe every night.

Chris Illitch needs to sell BOTH teams. He is doing a disservice to the city of Detroit.
Yes give me a break, Red Wings made it to the playoffs for 25 straight years, 4 Stanley Cups and 6 Stanley Cup appearances. Now they have some tough times and all that goes down the crapper. What planet are you from? This was a pretty darn exceptional run. Now they are retooling

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 pm

I would have said Cleveland, but the Cavs won recently. Maybe Phoenix? Does Buffalo count?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:06 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Yes give me a break, Red Wings made it to the playoffs for 25 straight years, 4 Stanley Cups and 6 Stanley Cup appearances. Now they have some tough times and all that goes down the crapper. What planet are you from? This was a pretty darn exceptional run. Now they are retooling
I don't disagree. I have very clear memories of the Brad Park, Harry Neale, Nick Polano, and Wayne Maxner years behind the bench. You could show up on game night and have seats at the red line.

Stevie Y and Jacques D combined to make the team fun to watch. Mr. I's checkbook prior to the salary cap. along with Jimmy Delavano's foresight on European players, made a dynasty. We had been spoiled.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:06 am

More like 35.
I actually meant to say 30 years (1989 was the year I had in mind). The logical side of my brain was taking a snooze when I typed my OP. :)

I give Chris Ilitch credit for luring Stevie Y. back to Detroit and demoting Ken Holland - which prompted Holland to pack his bags and leave town.

Jury is out on the Wings' fate under his ownership, but I have ZERO confidence in his ability to turn the Tigers around.

If the Wings turn in another terrible season, does anyone here actually think Blashill should be retained?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:43 am
How about a quadrouble-header for the entire city of Detroit!

Detroit Pistons? 6-11 record currently. 0-12 in last 12 playoff games. No playoff wins in 11 straight seasons.
Detroit Lions? 3-7-1 record currently. 0-9 in last 9 playoff games. 1 lone playoff victory in 62 years.
Detroit Tigers? 47-114 last season. 0-5 in last 5 playoff games. Last playoff victory 6 years ago.
Detroit Red Wings? Currently last place in league. 5-12 in last 17 playoff games. Missed playoffs 3 straight years.

Combined playoff appearance record in recent years? 5-38. 5 playoff wins. 38 losses.

Is there another city in professional sports that is even remotely close to bottom-of-the-barrel as the city of Detroit?
Yep, we've dropped a LONG way over the last few decades. The Wings had a great run, but have been down for way too long. They need to get turned around and bring some excitement back. Hopefully Steve Y can do that.

I think Detroit is still the only city that can claim three championships in the same year. 1934-35 the Lions, Tigers and Red Wings won. Joe Louis also won the boxing championship that year. Even the World Champion Checkers player was from Detroit that year.

http://detroitcityofchampions.com/

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Were the Red Wings really that great, not including their championships? Over half the league makes the playoffs. They had several early exits.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
CurlyHoward wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm from Earth, dipshit. Retooling in a salary cap league should be accomplished faster. Looks like Albom and 97.1 have brainwashed another one.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 pm

If the Wings turn in another terrible season, does anyone here actually think Blashill should be retained?
I don't see how he can even get through the season. Nine straight losses which should hit ten on Monday against the Islanders. He's had a very generous amount of time to prove himself.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:02 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:45 pm
I would have said Cleveland, but the Cavs won recently. Maybe Phoenix? Does Buffalo count?
Yeah, my vote would be Phoenix. None of the professional teams are worth a spit and don't appear to have much going for them in the foreseeable future.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
CurlyHoward wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I'm from Earth, dipshit. Retooling in a salary cap league should be accomplished faster. Looks like Albom and 97.1 have brainwashed another one.

Whatever you say Mr. Armchair GM. So like I said all that good stuff goes down the crapper. Let's hope you not a Lions fan asshole

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:07 pm

A mere 10-12 years ago three of the teams were consistent championship contenders. We were spoiled with the Wings for a lot of years, but the messed up thing is they probably left 3-4 additional championships on the table.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 am

NO Detroit championship since June of 2008 when the Detroit Red Wings beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup. In 2009, Pittsburgh returned the favor, beating the Red Wings in June of 2009.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic