Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Lions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
CurlyHoward

Re: 2019 Detroit Lions

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm
I don’t know what to make of the Vikings.
Really? They look like a damn good team to me. Certainly one of the best five teams in the NFC.
The Vikes have the best offensive skill position players in the division, maybe in the whole conference. Solid defense and Zimmer is a good coach too. Their only real potential Achilles heel is Cousins, who is even more inconsistent than Stafford from week to week.

The problem facing them as well as the Packers is that it's going to be tough to get a first round bye coming out of the North with the Saints and 49ers playing as well as they are.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:04 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm
I don’t know what to make of the Vikings.
Really? They look like a damn good team to me. Certainly one of the best five teams in the NFC.
The Vikes have the best offensive skill position players in the division, maybe in the whole conference. Solid defense and Zimmer is a good coach too. Their only real potential Achilles heel is Cousins, who is even more inconsistent than Stafford from week to week.

The problem facing them as well as the Packers is that it's going to be tough to get a first round bye coming out of the North with the Saints and 49ers playing as well as they are.
FWIW, the Pack and Vikings are ranked #4 and #5 respectively in the latest NFL.com Power Rankings, the Vikings moving up three spots.

Meanwhile, RB Kerryon Johnson had knee surgery and is out for eight weeks (let's call it the season) and SS Quandre Diggs has been shipped to Seattle for a draft pick. On the bright side, I've read Zack Zenner is available again. :razz However, rumors are afoot that Dolphins RB Kenyon Drake may be coming to Motown.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:27 am

Well, they didn't win going away like they should have and they made another rookie QB look like Johnny Unitas, but a win is a win...I suppose.

It was good to see Patricia dial up a few blitzes...finally!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:20 am

Seeing Stafford trip on the turf was merely SOL, the Curse of Bobby Layne rearing its ugly head again, nothing we're not all used to seeing.
However, seeing Jones and Golliday jogging off the field together on a fourth-and goal with the game on the line was like watching an episode of The Twilight Zone. Doo-DOO-Doo-doo, Doo-DOO-Doo-doo, Doo-DOO-Doo-doo.... :rolleyes

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 am

Can you think of a QB in recent history with more garbage yardage than Stafford?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 am

Amazes me that people actually believe that Stafford is the main problem for the Lie-downs.

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 am
Can you think of a QB in recent history with more garbage yardage than Stafford?
Give me your definition of "garbage yards".

I no longer directly engage trolls

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:39 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 am
Amazes me that people actually believe that Stafford is the main problem for the Lie-downs.
He’s one of the problems. You saw how he was on that final drive against a terrible defense. A decent QB would not have played so poorly when it mattered. He can’t beat good or even average teams. Out of their three wins this year, only the Eagles could even be considered mediocre. Chargers are bad and Giants are terrible.

Garbage yardage is when a team is way behind and throws on every down to somewhat catch up, yet still lose. 400 yards means nothing when you can’t win and fail on the final drive. It can also reflect the fact he can’t win in the playoffs.

Lions should have spent a high draft pick on a QB, or signed one. No, Jeff Driskel doesn’t count.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 am

You're simply wrong, fuzz. No, he can't beat good or average teams....not with this defense, zero run game, and shit-for-brains coaching. Stafford and the WR's are the only reason this team is competitive at all.

You are right about one thing, that the Chargers are bad.....and MVP Rogers sure tore apart that defense yesterday, huh?

The censorship king from out of state.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 am
You're simply wrong, fuzz. No, he can't beat good or average teams....not with this defense, zero run game, and shit-for-brains coaching. Stafford and the WR's are the only reason this team is competitive at all.

You are right about one thing, that the Chargers are bad.....and MVP Rogers sure tore apart that defense yesterday, huh?
Chargers have played like garbage except for yesterday’s game. That was an anomaly- the team really is bad.

Who took that awful sack on the final drive? The defense? The running back? Maybe it was the refs? No, it was Stafford. A good QB would have not made such a terrible move. This team needs a winner, not an overpaid, stat padding loser. When Matt Moore can beat what is considered a good team (Vikings, though I am not buying them partly because of Stafford Jr aka Cousins), you know Stafford isn’t very good,

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 pm

fuzzpower - you are talking so far out of your ass I don't even know where to start (re: Matt Stafford).

Let's start with garbage yards. By your own definition, do you want to guess how many garbage yards he has? I count 94 yards total this season that came in the 2nd half with Detroit trailing 2 or more scores. In fact, Detroit has only trailed by two scores in the 4th quarter ONCE this entire season, and that was against Minnesota.

Stafford has thrown for 2,499 yards, only 94 of which are "garbage" yards.

Oh yeah, and you know what else? He's 4th in the league in passing yards, and LEADS the league in yards per game as the 3 quarterbacks higher than him have played one more game than has Detroit. Stafford is in the first place by a significant margin in yards per game. How about other stats? He's only thrown 5 picks this year. His rating is 5th in the league at 106.0. How touchdowns thrown? Try 19. Second place, and per game he leads the league.

The only stat where his numbers are mediocre is his 64.3% Completion percentage, but even that numbers puts in squarely in the middle of the pack.

By almost any objective measure, Stafford is one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the league this year. You wanna say that's all moot because they've only won 3 games? Fine, fair enough, but on the priority list of problems this team has that are keeping it from consistently winning, the play of Matthew Stafford is near the very bottom of that list.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 pm

For me, there's one stat that explains why Detroit is 3-4-1 instead of 7-1. And that is 3rd down conversions allowed by the defense. Detroit's defense time and again CAN'T GET OFF THE FIELD ON THIRD DOWN. They're 30th in the league in this stat at 48.08% allowed. That's up significantly from last year's stat of 37%.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:51 am

Tell me why he can’t beat good teams, and hasn’t his entire career. Why did he take that horrible sack on that final drive? Why can’t he win a playoff game? Why has he been embarrassed on Thanksgiving the last few years? He can’t win when it matters most. KC is still winning even with a bad defense, one of those (basically two when you consider Mahomes was hurt early in a game) are with Matt Moore, so that argument is out the window. Testaverde threw for a ton of yards, so did Dave Krieg. Would you call them great QBs?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 am

If an MLB pitcher has an ERA of 1.0 a WHIP of .3 and a win lose record of 1-10 is he bad pitcher? Or is there more to the story as to why he can't win?
I think Matthew Stafford "haters" tend to talk about "his failures" (true of any QB) like there aren't 23 other player (toss in punter and kicker) who can win or lose a game too.
On the last play Sunday, before Oakland called a time out, the Lions were setting up with 4 wideouts and nobody in the backfield. After the timeout they line up with no wideouts, 2 runners in the backfield, and the second and third string tight ends as the two receivers AND they throw the ball. It wasn't Matthew Stafford who sent his two best offensive threats to the bench. It wasn't Matthew Stafford's fault the 2nd string tight end couldn't get open leaving only the 3rd string tight end as an option. That guy had two hands on the ball but a great defensive play broke it up.
And nobody in here is calling Matthew a Stafford a "great QB" but many of us are suggesting he isn't the Lions biggest problem. And every time they lose it isn't always on his shoulders. But Stafford haters never see it that way.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:25 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:51 am
Tell me why he can’t beat good teams...
I'm going to stop you right there. Why can't HE beat a TEAM? Because there's no "i" in "team," that's why.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic