Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:40 am

And guess what? The O's won yet again! :)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:16 am

Well, I hope you guys who lambasted Al Avila for not holding out for a better deal for J.D. Martinez are happy. :P It certainly looks like he's willing to go down to the wire on all the usual suspects; i.e. Boyd, Greene, and Castellanos. I'm reading Buck Farmer is also now among the "most wanted".

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Hopes of breaking the all-time AL record for futility are alive & well!!! :D

The Tigers lost in 10 innings to the Mariners this afternoon.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Cleveland needs offensive help, but would they trade in the division, and put up with the awful defense of Castellanos? Can they deal with his streakiness?

Buck Farmer? If they can unload him, go ahead. Guy is pretty much useless. Greene and Boyd are the only pitchers with real value.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am

Leave it to the P.O.S. team managed by Brad Ausmus to cede a lopsided win to the Tigers! :lol

Watch the Tigers take the series versus the Angels.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 am

Hard to believe this team was actually 18-20 at one point this year, playing nearly .500 baseball.

Since then? 13-51. Their run production is anemic. 363 runs scored. Next worst in the AL is Chicago at 429.

Detroit isn't in the basement. They're underground. This has to be one of the worst teams ever in the modern era of baseball. I'm not even sure the Houston Astros were this bad when they were a basement dweller not all that long ago.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Ha, it's hard to remember there was a time this season that the Tigers were actually overachieving and Gardenhire was being praised by the media for getting a lot out of this team.

The difference between this Tigers team and the awful 2013 Astros you reference is that the Astros farm system then was LOADED with position player prospects already close to the majors that couldn't miss. Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, George Springer. The core of the team that would bring Houston its first world championship just four years later was already in place. Instead the Tigers have bums like Ronny Rodriguez doing the I-75 Shuffle between Detroit and Toledo.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm convinced that the Tigers won't even be playoff contenders for AT LEAST the next 5 years, possibly even the next 10. There is absolutely nothing that organization is doing that would instill confidence in its fans that it wants to compete with the big boys anytime soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:53 pm

See I told ya so. :)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:25 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:53 pm
See I told ya so. :)
The Angels looked as inspired under Ausmus as did the Tigers. :P

Hot-shot young catcher Rogers certainly made an auspicious MLB debut, though he looked bad striking out on that breaking pitch low and outside. Here's hoping his pitch recognition is MLB-ready, something his predecessor James McCann took a few years to develop, albeit consummating with the WhiteSux.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am

Rogers has pop, but the average and contact isn’t there yet.

Hard to say right now, but looking at these trades from the surface, they seem underwhelming. There are many reasons that could be.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:36 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 am
Hard to say right now, but looking at these trades from the surface, they seem underwhelming. There are many reasons that could be.
With only Demeritte imminently MLB-ready of the four prospects received in the trades, it'll be awhile before they can be accurately assessed. I see Lugo is batting well over .300 at Toledo; I'm guessing he'll be recalled in September to play 3B with Candelario moving to 1B, at least against certain pitching.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am

Lugo is hitting, but his defense is erratic. I have seen him make some great plays, while botching routine ones a few innings later.

Dustin Peterson will likely be back, though he has underwhelmed. Not a H*** amount of power for a first baseman and never walks. I don’t think he really fits into the plans anyhow.

Jacob Robson has a decent amount of speed, but strikes out a ton. He may have a future as a fourth outfielder. I think he’s from Windsor, so there’s the local connection too.

Daz Cameron clearly isn’t ready. He needs another year in Toledo.

Pitching wise, John Schreiber deserves a look as a reliever. Over a strikeout an inning, and WHIP not much over 1. He’s also local, from Downriver.

The rest of the arms have not impressed, but I am sure Reininger will be back.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:56 am

Meanwhile, Nick Castellanos is already paying dividends for the Cubbies, he saved them from a no-hitter last night! :lol

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:33 am

Surprisingly good article from the Freep's Anthony Fenech (someone who I've not always liked and has engaged in conflicts of interest regarding the subject he covers - the Tigers) regarding how Avlla bungled actual & potential trade returns not just at this year's trade deadline but also at the past couple deadlines.

The scuttlebutt regarding Boyd is particularly eye opening.

Avila a couple seasons ago passed up an amazing return (in hindsight) for Fulmer.

What I just read is damning regarding any assessment of Avila's talent evaluation & negotiation abilities, and unequivocally suggests to me that Avila sure as hell was not deserving of a multi-year contract extension!!

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 913091001/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic