Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Deleted User 24

Re: 2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 pm

You are 100 percent correct about leaving the minor leaguers where they are, barring injury call-ups. We called up several players in 2003-04 who were not ready for the majors, most notably Jeremy Bonderman. Remember how that turned out?

I can see moving Mize to Toledo if he keeps mowing batters down, but he needs a full year in the minors to learn how to be a professional ballplayer. Mahtook is the baseball version of Marty Howe, good enough to be a star in the minors but not good enough to stick in the big leagues.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon May 06, 2019 1:29 am

Cameron is still young and playing his first full season in AAA ball. See where he is at in July.

Don’t call up Mize until September, because some young pitchers who struggle in the majors lose confidence.

Bonderman had a couple of good playoff starts and the team foolishly gave him a large contract. I remember the sports media saying what a great move that was. I knew otherwise and said so way back then. He should have been tried as a reliever much earlier in his career.

VerHagen has always been garbage and should have been gone two or three seasons ago.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 am

Goodness, now Tyson Ross is on the shelf for an extended period! I know he's been throwing batting practice to opposing hitters of late, but still....

This team had better learn how to manufacture some runs, they're gonna need 'em!

Meanwhile, ex-Tiger catcher James "McCannon" McCann is batting .382 with a 1.028 OPS for the ChiSox! :eek

In the NL, ex-Tiger shortstop Jose Iglesias is batting .288 for the Reds along with ex-Tiger Eugenio Suarez's 12 homers and 26 RBI. This is for perhaps the worst hitting team in MLB.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun May 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Tigers play the Marlins middle of the week. Talk about a dumpster fire!

The Mud Hens are terrible right now as well, so unless they rush the guys in Erie, I don’t any hope for improvement this season.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 am

Just did a quick bit of research - if you look at the Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, and Pistons and add up each teams' current losing streak in the playoffs - they are a combined 0-27.

Pistons have lost their last 12 playoff games. Last playoff win - 2008.
Lions have lost their last 8 playoff games. Last playoff win - 1991.
Tigers have lost their last 5 playoff games. Last playoff win - 2013.
Red Wings have lost their last 2 playoff games. Last playoff win - 2016.

Detroit sports in general are a dumpster fire. I challenge anyone to find another city with 4 major sports teams that are anywhere close to this bad. I'm betting there isn't a close second.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 am

Getting swept by the pathetic Marlins illustrates how awful this team really is. Time for some firings, starting with Avila.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri May 24, 2019 9:59 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 am
Getting swept by the pathetic Marlins illustrates how awful this team really is.
And at home, no less! :rolleyes
However, until they get swept by the Orioles next week the Tigers can't lay claim to being the most awful. :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

It looks bleak now but just remember, we lost 119 games in 2003. 3 years later, we were in the World Series

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Realist wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am
It looks bleak now but just remember, we lost 119 games in 2003. 3 years later, we were in the World Series

Yep, but that was more luck than anything. Sure, the talent was better, but they overachieved. Leyland of course blew it in the playoffs like he always did (except 1997). Most overrated manager of the past 30 years. Bobby Cox is a very close second.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Speaking of overrated managers - the team happens to have one right now!

This team is an absolute dumpster fire. Cabrera is toast. Singles with some doubles, rare home runs, and a pedestrian OPS is what we will see from him for the rest of his career.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 24, 2019 8:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm
Speaking of overrated managers - the team happens to have one right now!

This team is an absolute dumpster fire. Cabrera is toast. Singles with some doubles, rare home runs, and a pedestrian OPS is what we will see from him for the rest of his career.
I disagree.

Grady did a decent job last year, matching the record of the previous years team that had the stars for most of the season. This year, 4 out of our 5 starters are currently on the IL, 2 for the rest of the season. As far as the hitters, I blame the deficiencies on 2 people - Al Avila and Chris Illitch. Illitch does not want to spend $$$ on decent players during the re build. Avila can sign who he thinks will help, but is hit and miss with these decisions.

Tigers are a AAAA team currently and have had streaks of bad luck that haven’t helped

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat May 25, 2019 4:38 am

Cabrera will be here for a while, unless he retires. I can’t imagine the team cutting him and paying all of that money. He was great in his prime, but now washed up. Most of us knew the later years of his contract would not be good, however the drop off is so fast.

The only real prospects are in Erie and below. Toledo has nothing, unless Daz Cameron can figure it out. The rest of their roster is older (Pete Kozma!) or just filler. Most AAA teams at least have a couple guys that could be helpful to the big club, but not here. That’s an Avila and ownership problem more than anything.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm

I said Gardenhire was overrated; did not mean to imply all of the team's current ills are his fault.

I still blame Dombrowski more than anyone else. Years of neglecting our farm system + the hire of Ausmus fucked up this organization more so than any other factor.

Does Avila deserve blame too? You bet he does. Regardless of what the asshats in the media say, he didn't get nearly enough in return for J.D. Martinez. He also kept Ausmus around for far too long.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 27, 2019 10:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm
I still blame Dombrowski more than anyone else. Years of neglecting our farm system + the hire of Ausmus fucked up this organization more so than any other factor.
Several of Dombrowski's farm hands were traded for immediate big league production in an all-out bid to fulfull Mr. I's dying wish for a World Series title. Several of these traded farmhands are having successful MLB careers elsewhere and others are top-rated prospects.

I still think the hiring of Ausmus as manager has Ilitch's brand all over it -- a popular ex-Tiger who was highly touted league-wide as the next managing wunderkind. In the immediate aftermath of Leyland 's retirement announcement, Dombrowski stressed in a press conference the importance of hiring an experienced replacement. His about-face in hiring Ausmus was too abrupt to be interpreted as anything but an override from above.

I will say Dombrowski made some good moves before he left. I thought getting Norris and Boyd from Toronto for David Price, and insisting on getting Michael Fulmer in the Cespedes deal were good moves, subsequent injuries notwitstanding. They added some much-needed young blood to a team becoming rapidly decrepit.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm
Does Avila deserve blame too? You bet he does. Regardless of what the asshats in the media say, he didn't get nearly enough in return for J.D. Martinez. He also kept Ausmus around for far too long.
For Martinez, Avila got from Arizona at the trade deadline what any half-year rental whose best position is DH was worth. Two of the three infielders we got are so young that they still look like skinny teenagers! Meanwhile, Lugo is looking like he "belongs" as a Major League infielder. Arizona got zilch when J.D. bolted for Dombrowski's big bucks in Boston just before the following season.

I thought getting Candelario and Paredes from the Cubs was an absolute heist! Both Justin Wilson and Alex Avila are no longer with the club.

I agree that Ausmus was a pre-ordained failed experiment. In my opinion, his hiring marked a lost opportunity.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon May 27, 2019 3:02 pm

How long before Ronny Rodriguez is sent packing? The guy swings at everything, and can’t field to save his life. It’s not just this recent stretch- his fielding was bad in Toledo last year as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic