All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Michigan v. Ohio State

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Michigan v. Ohio State

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Can somebody please explain to me why Michigan didn't call their final timeout when OSU had it 2nd and goal or 3rd and goal and eternity at the end instead of letting them run the clock all the way down? There's very little risk in calling it since the only way OSU gets a first down is a defensive penalty. Michigan coulda had 40 seconds on the clock at the end instead of 1 second, and they had a great kick return.

It is so mind-boggling watching teams in college and the NFL week after week after week mismanage timeouts and the clock at the ends of games.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Michigan v. Ohio State

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Bye bye playoff...

Great game but I mean... we have no chance at getting in... our futility against Ohio State continues...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:16 pm

That official arguably stole the game from Michigan. Ball should've been spotted a foot short of the 15 and measured. The ball looked like it never touched the 15.

Now, with that being said, Michigan did very little offensively to help its own cause in the 2nd half of regulation.

Also, Urban handed them an outrageous gift in the first half with that ridiculous punt fake play deep in OSU's own territory.

OSU between Meyer's stupidity and two missed field goals did a LOT to give U-M an advantage. Yet we still lost.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:That official arguably stole the game from Michigan. Ball should've been spotted a foot short of the 15 and measured. The ball looked like it never touched the 15.

Now, with that being said, Michigan did very little offensively to help its own cause in the 2nd half of regulation.

Also, Urban handed them an outrageous gift in the first half with that ridiculous punt fake play deep in OSU's own territory.

OSU between Meyer's stupidity and two missed field goals did a LOT to give U-M an advantage. Yet we still lost.
I couldn't believe there was no measurement... the officiating today was atrocious...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:43 pm

I saw two or three defensive holding penalties that weren't called.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I saw two or three defensive holding penalties that weren't called.
Wasn't there a pass interference not called in the 1st OT? I seem to remember one of the OSU defenders all over one of our receivers as he went to catch a pass...

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:04 pm

Two penalties for 6 yards on Ohio State. Yeah, ok...

Harbaugh was told by the ref that his penalty would have been a tech in BASKETBALL... not sure how that translates to football.

Michigan had plenty of chances to win, but it really feels like they should have won in spite of everything.

For having won 14 of 16, Ohio State fans did not act like they had been there before. A fan came after Peppers and Peppers took a defensive swing at him.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Urban Meyer is the luckiest man in the world. That sloppy win today gets his ass off the hook for that atrocious play call (fake punt) in the first half, which led to a Michigan touchdown.

I will say Harbaugh's criticism of the officiating post-game was over the top. Was the officiating mediocre? Sure. On the flip side of the coin, Harbaugh looked ridiculous arguing that personal foul/replay of down early in the game. Does he not know the rule book?

Look - Speight turned the ball over three times, the Wolverines scored only seven points in the entire second half, seven of their points in the first half were a gift from Urban, and they allowed OSU too many third down conversions late in the game.

That 4th & 1 at the end of the game should've never been a 4th & 1 opportunity. On the third-to-last snap of the game, Michigan's D-line stunk. Should've been able to pin OSU for a 10 or 12 yard loss.

Despite the lack of scoring during regulation, OSU's offensive line did a very good job protecting Barrett most of the game and giving him tons of time to either look downfield for a receiver or run with the football. Speight wasn't afforded nearly the amount of protection Barrett received.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:13 am

I know its not popular to blame the referees. i know the mantra's "your team should have played better", "bad calls are part of the game" blah blah blah. But somebody needs to hold the officials publicly accountable in some fashion. The leagues don't do it, the NCAA doesn't do it the winning teams sure aren't going to do it. So who is left? The losing team.
After a big game everybody critics the coaches and the players but somehow its bad form to critic the officials? They can impact results significantly. The difference between them and players is when a player tries to do something the players on the other team are trying to negate what he is doing. Nobody is trying to stop the officials from doing there job. So in my opinion they have less of an excuse for not performing.
My two big issues with the officials were:
1. the blatant non-call of the pass interference in the second overtime. Was that a game changer? Who knows but if the call is made we have 3 more chances for the end zone before settling for a field goal
2. the lack of penalties overall against Ohio State. I went through their entire 12 game season and only one other time did the escape with 2 penalties. They averaged 6 a game before yesterday.
It seems odd they could play so "clean" in such a big game.
Given #2 above I wonder if the officials were just predisposed to make the 1st down call they made at the end. That was certainly close and a hard one to choose. I get that there wasn't evidence to overturn it but there wasn't much evidence to support it either. All we see is that fat computer generated yellow line on the field. Why don't they spot the ball and bring in the chains?

testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Howard Jones

Michigan v. Ohio State

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:38 am

You don't need the chains.

Because the ball was spotted at the 25 to start the OT, by rule to get the first down just the very front of ball has to be marked touching the white line of the 15.

Things can only get better

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:55 am

In my disgust regarding last night's outcome, I completely forgot that very simple fact! :red (Oops.)
Thanks for the reminder, Howard.

The refs were letting a LOT of pass interference and defensive holding calls go yesterday. I saw at least one where Michigan was given a free pass earlier in the game.

The lack of a call in the 2nd OT when Perry was being interfered with was inexcusable.

BTW, will the media please stop talking about Speight's "great game" ? He turned the ball over THREE F*KCING TIMES and M's offense scored only 17 points in all of regulation (despite great field position on multiple possessions). Sorry, but the stats don't lie. Did Speight complete some brilliant passes? Yes, but there were also moments were he stunk to high heaven.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 am

Howard Jones wrote:You don't need the chains.

Because the ball was spotted at the 25 to start the OT, by rule to get the first down just the very front of ball has to be marked touching the white line of the 15.
It was fairly clear to me he never got there...

Howard Jones

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I don't think so either.

The only vote that mattered was the line judge's. Replay was a waste of time - it wouldn't have been overturned either way because the camera angles they had available weren't square with the 15.

Things can only get better

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Michigan lost to Ohio State yet still has two wins under its belt against top 10 ranked opponents this year! Who woulda thunk it?

If someone would've claimed at the start of the year that Penn State and Colorado would finish in the top 10 at the end of the regular season, I would've accused that person of being a loony bird!

Michigan's lack of scoring in the second half of football games during the past several weeks is cause for concern and is a matter that Jim Harbaugh's staff needs to address.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Michigan lost to Ohio State yet still has two wins under its belt against top 10 ranked opponents this year! Who woulda thunk it?

If someone would've claimed at the start of the year that Penn State and Colorado would finish in the top 10 at the end of the regular season, I would've accused that person of being a loony bird!

Michigan's lack of scoring in the second half of football games during the past several weeks is cause for concern and is a matter that Jim Harbaugh's staff needs to address.
Make that three wins: Wisconsin, Penn State, and Colorado.

And about those officials: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/yesterdays- ... iously-fir

Back judge was a self-professed Ohio State fan that was barred from officiating the Michigan-Ohio State game in 2006

Lead official was previously fired by the B1G.

Side judge was an OHSAA hall of fame official.

The link also shows an official give Mike Weber an affectionate pat on the ass.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic