All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

I hate "playing not to lose" !!!!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I hate "playing not to lose" !!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:26 am

We saw it last year against the Spartans, this year against the Spartans and this year against Wisconsin. For the first time since last year's loss to Sparty, "playing not to lose" has cost Michigan a victory.

Michigan's final drive with 1:54 to play in last night's game was total puke garbage. Iowa had all three of their timeouts remaining and used them to their advantage. Michigan was ineffective at running the ball most of the game. So what do they call on 1st down? 2nd down? Simplistic running plays!!! U-M waited until 3rd down to throw a pass, which of course, was incomplete! The result: Iowa gets the ball back with plenty of time on the clock.

A face mask penalty on the punt against U-M followed by ineffective play by Michigan's D on Iowa's last drive gave Iowa plenty of hope.

Iowa ultimately won the game with a chip shot of a field goal (that barely made it inside of the right upright, interestingly enough) as time expired.

Speight looked awful and Michigan's offense looked anemic the entire ball game. Still, if you hold Iowa to 14 points at their place, you ought to be able to win the damn football game!!! Michigan's defense overall played a great game. Unfortunately, the offense was ineffective against an unusually strong Iowa D.

This is a bad loss for Michigan. Iowa is a mediocre football team. Michigan was favored to win by 20 or 21 points. That's the bad news.

The good news is there are no undefeated teams in the Big Ten. OSU the past two weeks has played much better than the Wolverines, so without question, the Buckeyes will move ahead of the Wolverines in the BCS standings. That said, such an outcome represents nothing more than a technicality at this point. So long as Michigan doesn't lose next week, it's all going to come down to the regular season finale in Columbus. If Michigan wins that game, they are the Big Ten East champion. Bottom line - Michigan still controls its own destiny. Their singular focus needs to be on winning the East crown.

In both the BCS and AP rankings, I expect Michigan to slip to #4 or #5. Ohio State and Louisville will almost assuredly move ahead of Michigan. I do think Michigan will rank ahead of Washington. Clemson? Tough to say.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Matt

Re: I hate "playing not to lose" !!!!

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 am

Good wake up call, nothing more, nothing less.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 am

Look at these team stats...wow.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ma ... =400869690

We held Iowa to 66 passing yards yet we still lost the football game!!!

Speight had a bad night and arguably should've been benched in favor of O'Korn.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:We saw it last year against the Spartans, this year against the Spartans and this year against Wisconsin. For the first time since last year's loss to Sparty, "playing not to lose" has cost Michigan a victory.

Michigan's final drive with 1:54 to play in last night's game was total puke garbage. Iowa had all three of their timeouts remaining and used them to their advantage. Michigan was ineffective at running the ball most of the game. So what do they call on 1st down? 2nd down? Simplistic running plays!!! U-M waited until 3rd down to throw a pass, which of course, was incomplete! The result: Iowa gets the ball back with plenty of time on the clock.

A face mask penalty on the punt against U-M followed by ineffective play by Michigan's D on Iowa's last drive gave Iowa plenty of hope.

Iowa ultimately won the game with a chip shot of a field goal (that barely made it inside of the right upright, interestingly enough) as time expired.

Speight looked awful and Michigan's offense looked anemic the entire ball game. Still, if you hold Iowa to 14 points at their place, you ought to be able to win the damn football game!!! Michigan's defense overall played a great game. Unfortunately, the offense was ineffective against an unusually strong Iowa D.

This is a bad loss for Michigan. Iowa is a mediocre football team. Michigan was favored to win by 20 or 21 points. That's the bad news.

The good news is there are no undefeated teams in the Big Ten. OSU the past two weeks has played much better than the Wolverines, so without question, the Buckeyes will move ahead of the Wolverines in the BCS standings. That said, such an outcome represents nothing more than a technicality at this point. So long as Michigan doesn't lose next week, it's all going to come down to the regular season finale in Columbus. If Michigan wins that game, they are the Big Ten East champion. Bottom line - Michigan still controls its own destiny. Their singular focus needs to be on winning the East crown.

In both the BCS and AP rankings, I expect Michigan to slip to #4 or #5. Ohio State and Louisville will almost assuredly move ahead of Michigan. I do think Michigan will rank ahead of Washington. Clemson? Tough to say.
Michigan almost always plays like shit at night, especially on the road. A friend of mine said "trap game" a couple of weeks ago. He also thought Indiana might be one but definitely was positive Michigan would lose one or the other. Let's hope they pick it up next week...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Matt wrote:Good wake up call, nothing more, nothing less.
Depending on what your goals or expectations are generally one loss is all your allowed. So I'd say its more than a wake up call. They just played their only mulligan.

testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Look at these team stats...wow.

You'll get your O'Korn wish granted: Speight has a broken collarbone.
craig11152 wrote:
Depending on what your goals or expectations are generally one loss is all your allowed. So I'd say its more than a wake up call. They just played their only mulligan.
It was their only chance to have a loss not hurt them. You can't lose to Ohio State, and you don't want to lose on senior day.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Matt wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:Look at these team stats...wow.

You'll get your O'Korn wish granted: Speight has a broken collarbone.
craig11152 wrote:
It was their only chance to have a loss not hurt them. You can't lose to Ohio State, and you don't want to lose on senior day.
Senior day is a feel good for the team... they could lose and it would be fine. The losing to Ohio State part... not so much.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:58 am

Senior day is a feel good for the team... they could lose and it would be fine.
Not this year. Look at the ramifications.

Matt is correct. Iowa was Michigan's one loss "to give." Gotta have nothing but W's from here on out.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Senior day is a feel good for the team... they could lose and it would be fine.
Not this year. Look at the ramifications.

Matt is correct. Iowa was Michigan's one loss "to give." Gotta have nothing but W's from here on out.
Now that we lost yes... but we could have beat Iowa and Lost and been ok... you just can't lose both...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic