All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

U-M / MSU thread

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
User avatar
Howard Jones
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Howard Jones » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:24 pm

craig11152 wrote:Sorry but my point is accurate. Hypothetically if a UM player fields the kick and tries to return it and fumbles doing so its a live ball and until its a dead ball the game is not over. In that circumstance a player from the kicking team (MSU) could scoop up the live loose ball and run it. The game was NOT over when MSU scored. There was an onside kick that ended the game. So my hypothetical is accurate. With 1 second left MSU could have had a remote chance of winning IF they hadn't given up 2 points on their PAT attempt.
Absolutely. And you just know that someone somewhere is gonna have a massive brain fart and do it.

Wasn't intending on calling you out - should have used quotes around "over".


Things can only get better

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Tale of two teams:
--Michigan beats the living snot out of Maryland (who was great to start to year but now looks like a hot plate of garbage)
--MSU loses to an awful Illini team on the road!!!

Sparty has now lost seven straight games and STILL has not won a single Big Ten matchup!!! :eek

I was dead wrong about the Spartans. I thought they had a decent chance to win 9 games this year. Holy shit was I mistaken.

One has to wonder: is Dantonio's job in jeopardy?


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Howard Jones
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Howard Jones » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:48 pm

It had better not be. But I'd be updating my resume if I was one of his coordinators.


Things can only get better

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 am

I agree with you that one or both coordinators will be toast. Losing Narduzzi to Pitt was a major blow to the program, apparently. Spartan D has been total puke garbage this year. The funny thing is - it's Dantonio's conflicts with the O.C. that seems to be receiving the most attention from the media. If he's not seeing eye-to-eye with his O.C....I can only imagine what his conversations with his D.C. are like these days.

This is unchartered territory, if media reports are accurate. MLive says MSU has never started a Big Ten campaign 0-6; this is the first time it has ever occurred in the history of the program. Coming off a BCS berth, no less.

If this type of epic collapse happened at Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma, Florida State or LSU...we'd never hear the end of it (and rightfully so). In this case, the Spartans lack of "street cred" nationally seems to be keeping the media scrutinty at bay. Even on local sports talk radio, I'm surprised by the lack of discussion.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf ... ws_article


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 am

The thing I find fascinating is how the "experts" can be so wrong.
MSU was ranked #8 in both polls when they were 2-0. How did experts not have some clue?
Notre Dame was a preseason top 10.
Early in the year when Valenti was on one of his Michigan rants banging on their weak schedule he said repeatedly that Wisconsin, Penn State and Colorado were all bad teams.

As a casual fan I can sort of understand how an early season top 10 team can be misjudged by experts and end up 8-4 or maybe 7-5. But how do teams like MSU and ND get so misjudged?


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote: Losing Narduzzi to Pitt was a major blow to the program, apparently.
The thing with that is, when you are a big time successful program you lose coordinators to head coaching opportunities. A big time head coach needs to know how to replace those guys and not miss a beat. Its as important, maybe more important, than recruiting your players.
I am not a State fan but if I was this season would be extremely alarming. Every program will have off years , but to me, if you are a top tier program an off year is supposed to be 8-4 or 7-5.
As a Michigan fan I hesitate to invoke "history" because I know how that pisses off Sparty fans but Bo's worst season was 6-6 and he followed that with 10-1-1. Lloyd's worst season was 7-5 and he followed that with 11-2.
Some how some way Dantonio needs to recover next year in a big way.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:02 pm

MSU's next three games are as follows: Rutgers at home, Ohio State at home, Penn State on the road.

It is very possible MSU finishes the season with only 3 wins total.

If they lose all three of those games (meaning only two wins total on the entire season), then there will be a LOT of chatter about whether D'Antonio should be brought back.


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Matt
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Mitch D'Angelo is safe in his current position at MSU. He may self-select out and take the LSU or Tennessee job (if it opens), but they're not firing him.



ftballfan
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:43 pm

craig11152 wrote:The thing I find fascinating is how the "experts" can be so wrong.
MSU was ranked #8 in both polls when they were 2-0. How did experts not have some clue?
Notre Dame was a preseason top 10.
Early in the year when Valenti was on one of his Michigan rants banging on their weak schedule he said repeatedly that Wisconsin, Penn State and Colorado were all bad teams.

As a casual fan I can sort of understand how an early season top 10 team can be misjudged by experts and end up 8-4 or maybe 7-5. But how do teams like MSU and ND get so misjudged?
Speaking of Colorado, Wisconsin, and Penn State, they're all ranked in the top 20 (that Colorado win is looking better and better)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:54 pm

ftballfan wrote:
craig11152 wrote:The thing I find fascinating is how the "experts" can be so wrong.
MSU was ranked #8 in both polls when they were 2-0. How did experts not have some clue?
Notre Dame was a preseason top 10.
Early in the year when Valenti was on one of his Michigan rants banging on their weak schedule he said repeatedly that Wisconsin, Penn State and Colorado were all bad teams.

As a casual fan I can sort of understand how an early season top 10 team can be misjudged by experts and end up 8-4 or maybe 7-5. But how do teams like MSU and ND get so misjudged?
Speaking of Colorado, Wisconsin, and Penn State, they're all ranked in the top 20 (that Colorado win is looking better and better)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Colorado was in it for awhile makes more sense too...



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic