All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

U-M / MSU thread

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Very disappointed by U-M's play on defense in second half. Also disappointed by piss poor play calling on offense in the fourth.

Got very sick of the plays with Shane Morris.

Yeah, Michigan won, but the door should've been slam shut by late third quarter. Michigan played sloppy in second half.

I give MSU credit for hanging tough and making the game interesting late. True, officials gave MSU a little assistance on what should've been an incomplete pass. Bad calls went both ways but seemed to help Sparty a little bit more.

Why are the replay review monitors so damn small? Ridiculous.

I wanted a 20 point plus win. I am only modestly satisfied by the win. MSU's defense has been horrible all year yet we couldn't find the end zone in the second half. Unacceptable.

Spartan fans are likely saying the same thing about Dantonio's decision making. Team should've kicked some field goals. His team played with intensity, though, after halftime. Still don't understand why he went for two with one second left. BIzarre.


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Very disappointed by U-M's play on defense in second half. Also disappointed by piss poor play calling on offense in the fourth.

Got very sick of the plays with Shane Morris.

Yeah, Michigan won, but the door should've been slam shut by late third quarter. Michigan played sloppy in second half.

I give MSU credit for hanging tough and making the game interesting late. True, officials gave MSU a little assistance on what should've been an incomplete pass. Bad calls went both ways but seemed to help Sparty a little bit more.

Why are the replay review monitors so damn small? Ridiculous.

I wanted a 20 point plus win. I am only modestly satisfied by the win. MSU's defense has been horrible all year yet we couldn't find the end zone in the second half. Unacceptable.

Spartan fans are likely saying the same thing about Dantonio's decision making. Team should've kicked some field goals. His team played with intensity, though, after halftime. Still don't understand why he went for two with one second left. BIzarre.
Which particular replay are you talking about? The one with his knee down?



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:02 pm

No. It occurred during MSU's second to last drive of the game, I believe. On 4th down in their own territory, an MSU receiver "caught" the ball after it hit the turf. The play was ruled a catch on the field, the replay clearly showed (when watching on a big screen) from one of the camera angles that the ball touched the ground first (the color commentator on ESPN noted same), yet on review the officials let the call stand.

As a result of the officiating mishap, MSU received a 1st down and ultimately scored a touchdown.

The final three U-M drives of the game were lethargic, especially the final two. I am guessing they were playing "not to lose." I absolutely hate that strategy when it's a two score game or less.


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:No. It occurred during MSU's second to last drive of the game, I believe. On 4th down in their own territory, an MSU receiver "caught" the ball after it hit the turf. The play was ruled a catch on the field, the replay clearly showed (when watching on a big screen) from one of the camera angles that the ball touched the ground first (the color commentator on ESPN noted same), yet on review the officials let the call stand.

As a result of the officiating mishap, MSU received a 1st down and ultimately scored a touchdown.

The final three U-M drives of the game were lethargic, especially the final two. I am guessing they were playing "not to lose." I absolutely hate that strategy when it's a two score game or less.
On that replay, 6 inches from the screen it looked to me like he got his hand under it enough... I didn't really think it was that clear at all and wasn't enough to overturn it.

Regarding playing not to lose... I can understand why... all you need is a pick six and it's a whole new game... but the idea is to get first downs while eating clock and that's what Michigan didn't do well in the 4th. They better work on that. At least one of The next three games (Maryland, Iowa, Indiana) are trap games... Iowa seems the most likely... night and on the road.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:52 pm

You can see the ball bounce upward a little bit. That doesn't happen unless it hits the ground.
but the idea is to get first downs while eating clock and that's what Michigan didn't do well in the 4th. They better work on that.
Michigan's passing game was darn good most of the day. When all you do is run it on the ground on each play, your offense gets pretty damn predictable, and you're not going to accomplish much, in all likelihood.

It's the same bullshit U-M pulled late in last year's game, and we all know how that turned out.

Would've liked to have seen more plays drawn up for McDoom, too.


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by craig11152 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote: Still don't understand why he went for two with one second left. BIzarre.
Ya I thought that was a bit odd too. The only thing that remotely "makes sense" is that they could use the practice on going for 2 more than kicking for 1. But I don't even believe it after typing it. :blink
I wondered about the over/under but it was 50.5 so that was an over as soon as they scored the TD.


I'm not big on "moral victories" but given all the local talk about a blow out I suppose some Sparty fans can find some "moral victories" in the close score. As a Michigan fan I will take the win but I was hoping for something more decisive. I would be happier this morning with something like 42-10. Something that covered the spread with room to spare.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Matt
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:15 pm

The game was essentially a blowout that somehow ended up in single digits. I have no real complaints. Michigan won fair and square and there wasn't a bullshit ending.



Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Matt wrote:The game was essentially a blowout that somehow ended up in single digits. I have no real complaints. Michigan won fair and square and there wasn't a bullshit ending.
Michigan took their foot off the gas... it got tight at the end. Really not the best way to handle the ending (though not anything like the Lions today)...



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by craig11152 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 am

Matt wrote:The game was essentially a blowout that somehow ended up in single digits.
I'm not sure how you get blow out. The team stats were pretty similar and MSU had 3 scoring opportunities inside the Michigan red zone they didn't capitalize on. Yes Michigan's defense stepped up and stopped them when they needed to but that ain't a blow out. We needed 4 stops inside the 2 or they put 7 points up. They missed a chip shot field goal and opted not to try another chip shot on 4th down. Arguably that's 13 points they were close to scoring.
Michigan stepped up and got the win but I didn't see a blow out.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Matt
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:52 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:The game was essentially a blowout that somehow ended up in single digits.
I'm not sure how you get blow out. The team stats were pretty similar and MSU had 3 scoring opportunities inside the Michigan red zone they didn't capitalize on. Yes Michigan's defense stepped up and stopped them when they needed to but that ain't a blow out. We needed 4 stops inside the 2 or they put 7 points up. They missed a chip shot field goal and opted not to try another chip shot on 4th down. Arguably that's 13 points they were close to scoring.
Michigan stepped up and got the win but I didn't see a blow out.
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
The other side was fervently attempting to save face. Their first drive of the fourth quarter 1) featured their running quarterback running, 2) drained the playclock down to ten seconds when the game clock was running, and 3) ended in a field goal attempt.

Michigan State's only goal was to make it look good. Michigan's goal was to win. These two goals combined with some galactically incompetent officiating to get Michigan State very technically within one score, and then Mark Dantonio's attempt to run up the score in a loss backfired spectacularly.

You will reap what you sow.



Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:49 pm

Matt wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:The game was essentially a blowout that somehow ended up in single digits.
I'm not sure how you get blow out. The team stats were pretty similar and MSU had 3 scoring opportunities inside the Michigan red zone they didn't capitalize on. Yes Michigan's defense stepped up and stopped them when they needed to but that ain't a blow out. We needed 4 stops inside the 2 or they put 7 points up. They missed a chip shot field goal and opted not to try another chip shot on 4th down. Arguably that's 13 points they were close to scoring.
Michigan stepped up and got the win but I didn't see a blow out.
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
The other side was fervently attempting to save face. Their first drive of the fourth quarter 1) featured their running quarterback running, 2) drained the playclock down to ten seconds when the game clock was running, and 3) ended in a field goal attempt.

Michigan State's only goal was to make it look good. Michigan's goal was to win. These two goals combined with some galactically incompetent officiating to get Michigan State very technically within one score, and then Mark Dantonio's attempt to run up the score in a loss backfired spectacularly.

You will reap what you sow.
That was not a blowout... no freakin way.



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:39 am

Matt wrote:
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
[/quote]

we can go around and around but the stats don't lie. MSU had 5 possessions in the second half and were inside the Michigan red zone 5 times. If they kick those 2 field goals then the last touchdown ties the game. If Michigan doesn't stop them 4 times inside the 2 that last touchdown wins the game.
Michigan more or less dominated the first half and that was it.

Only an extreme Michigan slappy can call that game a blowout.


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Matt
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:10 am

craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
we can go around and around but the stats don't lie. MSU had 5 possessions in the second half and were inside the Michigan red zone 5 times. If they kick those 2 field goals then the last touchdown ties the game. If Michigan doesn't stop them 4 times inside the 2 that last touchdown wins the game.
Michigan more or less dominated the first half and that was it.

Only an extreme Michigan slappy can call that game a blowout.
Did you not read the link I posted? Here are two non-Michigan fan links contained in the mgoblog link:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ul-week-9/
No. 2 Michigan (8-0), 32-23 win at Michigan State: Michigan was a 24.5-point favorite against the rival Spartans, but many expected Michigan State to play its best game of the season in what was its most important game of the year. Sparty came out and ran the ball on the Wolverines, holding an early lead. However, Michigan's defense tightened up, Jabrill Peppers did Jabrill Peppers things and the Wolverines ran away to a comfortable win -- that was made into a strange final score by a late Michigan State touchdown and failed two-point conversion that Peppers returned for two points. Michigan looked really good and gets out of a rivalry game with a two-possession road win that was probably better than the final score indicates. Grade: A
The ESPN link in the mgoblog post does not go to a Michigan story, but does quote the following:
Michigan took the first punch against desperate rival Michigan State and then fired back with haymakers, essentially putting the game out of reach at halftime.
Michigan State did things in garbage time to make the final look more respectable. Don't believe me? Let's check in with the State News:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... igan-state

I'm not interested in arguing semantics. Michigan had a shaky first defensive drive and then took over the game. The outcome was never really in doubt.



Deleted User 8570

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:38 am

Matt wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
we can go around and around but the stats don't lie. MSU had 5 possessions in the second half and were inside the Michigan red zone 5 times. If they kick those 2 field goals then the last touchdown ties the game. If Michigan doesn't stop them 4 times inside the 2 that last touchdown wins the game.
Michigan more or less dominated the first half and that was it.

Only an extreme Michigan slappy can call that game a blowout.
Did you not read the link I posted? Here are two non-Michigan fan links contained in the mgoblog link:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ul-week-9/
No. 2 Michigan (8-0), 32-23 win at Michigan State: Michigan was a 24.5-point favorite against the rival Spartans, but many expected Michigan State to play its best game of the season in what was its most important game of the year. Sparty came out and ran the ball on the Wolverines, holding an early lead. However, Michigan's defense tightened up, Jabrill Peppers did Jabrill Peppers things and the Wolverines ran away to a comfortable win -- that was made into a strange final score by a late Michigan State touchdown and failed two-point conversion that Peppers returned for two points. Michigan looked really good and gets out of a rivalry game with a two-possession road win that was probably better than the final score indicates. Grade: A
The ESPN link in the mgoblog post does not go to a Michigan story, but does quote the following:
Michigan took the first punch against desperate rival Michigan State and then fired back with haymakers, essentially putting the game out of reach at halftime.
Michigan State did things in garbage time to make the final look more respectable. Don't believe me? Let's check in with the State News:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... igan-state

I'm not interested in arguing semantics. Michigan had a shaky first defensive drive and then took over the game. The outcome was never really in doubt.
No. God no. MSU couldn't capitalize.. had they done so it may very well have been a loss. You're delusional...



Matt
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: U-M / MSU thread

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:33 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Matt wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
Matt wrote:
It was an asskicking, and Brian Cook (http://mgoblog.com/content/professional-polishers#more) covered it better this afternoon than I could:
we can go around and around but the stats don't lie. MSU had 5 possessions in the second half and were inside the Michigan red zone 5 times. If they kick those 2 field goals then the last touchdown ties the game. If Michigan doesn't stop them 4 times inside the 2 that last touchdown wins the game.
Michigan more or less dominated the first half and that was it.

Only an extreme Michigan slappy can call that game a blowout.
Did you not read the link I posted? Here are two non-Michigan fan links contained in the mgoblog link:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ul-week-9/
No. 2 Michigan (8-0), 32-23 win at Michigan State: Michigan was a 24.5-point favorite against the rival Spartans, but many expected Michigan State to play its best game of the season in what was its most important game of the year. Sparty came out and ran the ball on the Wolverines, holding an early lead. However, Michigan's defense tightened up, Jabrill Peppers did Jabrill Peppers things and the Wolverines ran away to a comfortable win -- that was made into a strange final score by a late Michigan State touchdown and failed two-point conversion that Peppers returned for two points. Michigan looked really good and gets out of a rivalry game with a two-possession road win that was probably better than the final score indicates. Grade: A
The ESPN link in the mgoblog post does not go to a Michigan story, but does quote the following:
Michigan took the first punch against desperate rival Michigan State and then fired back with haymakers, essentially putting the game out of reach at halftime.
Michigan State did things in garbage time to make the final look more respectable. Don't believe me? Let's check in with the State News:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... igan-state

I'm not interested in arguing semantics. Michigan had a shaky first defensive drive and then took over the game. The outcome was never really in doubt.
No. God no. MSU couldn't capitalize.. had they done so it may very well have been a loss. You're delusional...
Sometimes I think you disagree to be disagreeable. The game was never in doubt, and Michigan's defense is a big reason that happened. Had state made it close, Michigan's offense becomes less vanilla. There was never lower than a 92% chance of Michigan winning the game in the second half.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic