Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Only the Lions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
originalzzmfmjock

Only the Lions

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Could do what we witnessed this afternoon/evening

bmw

Re: Only the Lions

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm

They had 4 chances to put the game away.

1 - Could have gotten that first down (the time-out play).
2 - Could have stopped AZ from scoring a TD.
3 - Could have stopped AZ from scoring a 2-pt conversion.
4 - Could have gotten into field goal range at the end of regulation.

Their record in these scenarios? 0-4.

About the only positive thing I can say is that after things went south, there were multiple chances AZ had to win it, and a tie, all things considered, isn't a season-ender like a loss would have been.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm

The Cardinals are not a good team, with a rookie QB. Tying them likely means they will lose most of their games.

What a pathetic defense the Lions have, and still no QB. Should have drafted one. Still too many penalties.

My prediction of 5-11 won’t happen, but 4-11-1 might.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 pm

This is Patricia's last season..........might not last after the next 5 games if they go 0-5 1 tie in last 6.

Where's the Defence??? Giving a rookie QB all the time in the world.

start of another pathetic season???? :barf :horns

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:14 pm

First Lions TIE since November 4, 1984 at the old Pontiac Silverdome against the Philadelphia Eagles back then nearly 35 years ago!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 am

Dick Stockton late in the fourth kept saying, "Who could've seen this coming?"

ANSWER: Damn near every Lions fan watching the telecast!!

The Lions D-line on Arizona's last drive was utter garbage. Embarrassing. Arizona marched the ball down field with ease.

No effort on the 2 pt conversion attempt, either.

Did I mention how pathetic the Lions' special teams were yesterday?!? Punts and kickoffs at the NFL level should have nowhere near that much drama.

That three points the Lions ceded with under two minutes to play in the opening half came back to bite them in the ass!!!

In summary, a CLASSIC Lions loss on the road.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am

I feel like (sc)UM fans must feel after ekeing out a win against Army at home...but at least you have a W on the record.

How they managed to give the Cardinals late-game life should be Chapter One of the coaches manual Don't Let This Happen To You. >:
Dick Stockton late in the fourth kept saying, "Who could've seen this coming?"

ANSWER: Damn near every Lions fan watching the telecast!!
Brilliant! :hat
Last edited by moldyoldie on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am

I ultimately STILL put the fault where I've placed it in nearly every loss over the past few years - PLAY CALLING and CLOCK MANAGEMENT.

Everyone looks back at that timeout with 2:47 to go in regulation. That wasn't the problem. The play didn't happen, so whether Stafford completed the pass or not was irrelevant. The problem was the play call OUT OF THE TIMEOUT. They go deep. WHY? You need 5 yards for a first down. The 2 CORRECT options were either a run or a safe screen pass as either play would have likely let them bleed 40 seconds off the clock and possibly even get down to the 2 minute warning before either getting a first down or having to punt. But they go deep, get an incomplete, have to punt, and give Arizona 40 additional seconds and a free timeout at the 2-minute mark (they were otherwise out of timeouts) to come back and tie it. I swear, the Lions are always ultra-conservative when they shouldn't be, and in the occasional situations where clock and game situation call for more conservative calls, they get aggressive. I remain convinced that the coaching staff lacks so much as a basic grasp of game management.

And speaking of ultra-conservative, I look further back to when they were up 24-9 and then 24-16. On both of those drives, they run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd, and punt. Gee, if that isn't predictable. The play-action passes were fairly successful through most of the game, why abandon that? Oh yeah, the theory that you can coast to a win.

WHEN WILL TEAMS LEARN THAT YOU CAN'T COAST TO A WIN? Detroit lacks and has ALWAYS lacked any killer instinct whatsoever. It is why blowout wins for the Lions have been far and few between throughout the years, even though there's been many games where they've set themselves up for one.

It is the same incompetence from the coaching staff game after game, year after year, decade after decade that largely contributes to Detroit's suckage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am
And speaking of ultra-conservative, I look further back to when they were up 24-9 and then 24-16. On both of those drives, they run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd, and punt. Gee, if that isn't predictable. The play-action passes were fairly successful through most of the game, why abandon that? Oh yeah, the theory that you can coast to a win.
Yes, it was during that time when "the feeling" set in -- they are letting the Cardinals hang around! >:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

I liked the coin toss in overtime. "Which way do you want to kick?" "Uhhhhhhh...."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 pm

WHEN WILL TEAMS LEARN THAT YOU CAN'T COAST TO A WIN? Detroit lacks and has ALWAYS lacked any killer instinct whatsoever. It is why blowout wins for the Lions have been far and few between throughout the years, even though there's been many games where they've set themselves up for one.

It is the same incompetence from the coaching staff game after game, year after year, decade after decade that largely contributes to Detroit's suckage.
Amen!!! Extremely well stated!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 pm

They looked much better this week. I thought they were a little too conservative running the ball so much but in the end, they made key plays when they needed them. Also kudos to throwing on 3rd down late to get the first down and seal the deal.

Suddenly that tie looks ok in the standings.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 pm
They looked much better this week. I thought they were a little too conservative running the ball so much but in the end, they made key plays when they needed them. Also kudos to throwing on 3rd down late to get the first down and seal the deal.

They still blow. Chargers were overrated to start the season, and clearly showed it.

4-11-1 is still possible.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:12 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 pm
bmw wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 pm

They still blow. Chargers were overrated to start the season, and clearly showed it.

4-11-1 is still possible.
Chargers are a mess off the field. One of their best players has basically retired without announcing it

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Once again, the Lions had multiple opportunities to put this game away, and again they go run-run-pass-punt, run-run-pass-punt on consecutive drives late.

HOWEVER, they're still finding ways to win (or at least not lose). I'll take the W.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic