Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Remakes you like better then original

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
ChrisWL1980

Re: Remakes you like better then original

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:09 pm

I listened to Joy 97 WJOI a lot growing up, so I was exposed to a lot of Beatles songs through their MOR-artist remakes first - for example, the Carpenters doing "Ticket to Ride," or Sergio Mendes' version of "Fool on the Hill." I also knew "Daydream Believer" through Anne Murray before the Monkees. So I came to like those versions better than the originals through at least in part through sentimental value. Honestly, Karen Carpenter could sing the alphabet and make it sound like gold.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:10 pm

kager wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:22 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 pm
kager wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:47 am
Often, the 1st version you hear (especially when accompanied by repeatedly hearing it) will end up being your favourite.

Of course, this means no disrespect for the original...

For me:

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Elton John (*) vs Beatles
Born Under a Bad Sign - Pat Travers vs Albert King

(*) this guy could have released the Alphabet Song during the time period this was released, and had a # 1 hit with it.
With me, it's probably Jimmy Buffett's cover version of "Brown Eyed Girl".
Did not know that one existed! I've have to look that one up!
It hit #13 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart in 1984.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:04 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:10 pm
kager wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:22 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 pm
kager wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:47 am
Often, the 1st version you hear (especially when accompanied by repeatedly hearing it) will end up being your favourite.

Of course, this means no disrespect for the original...

For me:

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Elton John (*) vs Beatles
Born Under a Bad Sign - Pat Travers vs Albert King

(*) this guy could have released the Alphabet Song during the time period this was released, and had a # 1 hit with it.
With me, it's probably Jimmy Buffett's cover version of "Brown Eyed Girl".
Did not know that one existed! I've have to look that one up!
It hit #13 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart in 1984.
I had no idea it charted on the Billboard AC chart.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 pm

Yes' version of "America" was much better than Simon & Garfunkel's original, even if Jon Anderson sang "MITCHigan seems like a dream to me now..."

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:41 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:09 pm
I listened to Joy 97 WJOI a lot growing up, so I was exposed to a lot of Beatles songs through their MOR-artist remakes first - for example, the Carpenters doing "Ticket to Ride," or Sergio Mendes' version of "Fool on the Hill." I also knew "Daydream Believer" through Anne Murray before the Monkees. So I came to like those versions better than the originals through at least in part through sentimental value. Honestly, Karen Carpenter could sing the alphabet and make it sound like gold.
Every time I hear a Karen Carpenter song on the radio, I wonder what she could have produced if she was not gone so young. What a beautiful, awesome voice she had.

The censorship king from out of state.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:49 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:41 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Every time I hear a Karen Carpenter song on the radio, I wonder what she could have produced if she was not gone so young. What a beautiful, awesome voice she had.
A number of their hits were covers, from the obvious ("Please Mr. Postman," "There's a Kind of Hush") to the lesser known ("Hurting Each Other" was previously done by several artists, including Ruby and the Romantics and the Guess Who; "Touch Me When We're Dancing" was originally done by a group called Bama and would later be a #1 Country hit for Alabama; and so on).
I'd like to think Karen could have recovered and gone on to a longer career, but I'm doubtful. I think she was either too far gone or the resources she really needed just weren't available in 1982-83. It's worth noting that she had turned bulimic and was taking syrup of ipecac during the last few months of her life, and that would no doubt have ultimately ruined her voice even if she had lived. It's really sad that she basically ended up the sacrificial lamb for eating disorder awareness.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:26 am

The Carpenters even covered "Calling Occupants.."

Music is my life.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:18 am

Close to you, their first big hit, was also a cover. Richard Chamberlain (Doctor Kildare) did the song in 1962 and released on MGM records

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:58 pm

In many cases, I didn't like the remakes as well as the original. Some were about the same.

"You're No Good" Linda Ronstadt over Betty Everett

"I Can't Let Go" Linda Ronstadt equal to The Hollies

"Let's Hang On" Johnny Johnson And The Bandwagon > Four Seasons >> Barry Manilow

"Working My Way Back To You" Spinners roughly equal to Four Seasons

"Beggin'" Maneskin OK, much better than Madcon (too much Rap), but both MUCH LESS than the original by The Four Seasons.

"We Can Work It Out" Stevie Wonder better than The Beatles

"You Can't Hurry Love" Phil Collins roughly equal to The Supremes

"More Love" The Miracles > Kim Carnes

"Close To You" The Carpenters much better than Richard Chamberlain

"If" Bread much better than Telly Savalas

"I Hard It Through The Grapevine" Gladys Knight And The Pips roughly equal to Marvin Gaye > Creedence Clearwater Revival

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell > Diana Ross

"Hooked On A Feeling" B J Thomas >> Blue Swede

"You Keep Me Hanging On" Supremes > Vanilla Fudge > Kim Wilde

"Please Don't Go" KC and the Sunshine Band" > KWS
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Honeyman wrote:
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
My dad loved Karen's voice. She's one of the best female vocalists ever IMO.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:21 pm

My favorite by the The Carpenters is "Goodbye To Love" It has an awesome fuzzed guitar outro by Tony Peluso, who also did the DJ voices on other songs, including "Calling Occupants" on the LP version.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Many vocalists from the past have far superior voices. The Auto Tune singers of today don't hold a candle to Karen Carpenter and Linda Ronstadt. Auto Tune would have been good for the foghorn on "Sea Cruise" by Frankie Ford, and producer Paul Vance's daughter Paula, the female soloist on "Run Joey Run" by David Geddes. Or even on parts of "Whenever I Call You Friend" by Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks is out of tune on parts of it.

Speaking of the other "Run Joey Run" song, "Quick Joey Small" by The Kasentz Katz Singing Orchestral Circus (lead singer Joey Levine), the original is much better than the instrumental remake by The Beer and Bread Band (Elton John on keyboards).

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:12 pm

Honeyman wrote:

And her voice was always so strong and controlled. Who would have guessed she was wasting away?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic