Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

C.W. McCall (Bill Fries) dead

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

C.W. McCall (Bill Fries) dead

Post by matt1 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:49 am

C.W. McCall ("Wolf Creek Pass" in 1975 & his # 1 song "Convoy" in January 1976) has died at 93 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._W._McCall

kager

Re: C.W. McCall (Bill Fries) dead

Post by kager » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:24 am

I always chuckle when I hear (of) that song, reminding me of the big 'CB-radio' fad that was sweeping the US at the time. We lived fairly close to a freeway in rural northern MI, so listening in on - and sometimes conversing or messing with - those OTR users was fun for us as kids. But the funny for me came from by brother; he thought the song was:

Con Boy
Last edited by kager on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:31 pm

I was never sure if "Convoy" was supposed to be a novelty tune a la Ray Stevens. When that silly chorus arrives one might think so.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

kager

Post by kager » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:20 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:31 pm
I was never sure if "Convoy" was supposed to be a novelty tune a la Ray Stevens. When that silly chorus arrives one might think so.
The late 60's - late 70's were certainly more full of 'Novelty' hits than any other era (even though Weird Al has seemingly alone tried to carry that torch beyond the 80's).

As far as Ray Stevens is concerned, he did have a 'serious' hit song in, "Everything Is Beautiful", but I think that was it.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:54 am

With the Mannheim Steamroller from 1990: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... N70bWXI6Pw

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:54 am

He had a good, albeit relatively short career as a singer after reaching his 40's. I remember buying the "Wolf Creek Pass" album after hearing his first radio songs, the title track and "Old Home...Cafe". The single "Wolf Creek Pass" had actually reached #40 on the Billboard Hot 100, making "Convoy" his 2nd hit.

I wouldn't term "Convoy" a novelty hit, except that songs about truck drivers didn't usually make the top 40, so in that sense, it could've been. It's got some humor in it, but the general theme isn't for laughs.

"The White Knight" and "C.B. Savage", both trucker/CB radio singles, by Cledus Maggard and Rod Hart respectively, that followed "Convoy" onto the Hot 100, were a lot more novelty-like than "Convoy" was. "Teddy Bear" by Red Sovine didn't fit that category, though.

In looking, I see I have 5 of McCall's 7 albums, 4 of them on vinyl. I should try to locate the other two.

Ray Stevens did a fair amount of non-novelty music in the 60's and 70's. "Mr. Businessman" in 1968, "Turn Your Radio On" from 1971 and "Misty" from 1975 were all non-novelty songs Ray had on the charts. I recall hearing the latter two on WJR when they were out. They're as good as a lot of his other songs we're familiar with. Ray's still putting out recordings, a number of them released last year. He started in 1957, or years before Paul McCartney did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic