Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Your Very First

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
moldyoldie

Re: Your Very First

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am

I'd completely forgotten about the "spoken word" genre. :red

My very first purchase in that area was a box collection of three cassette albums called The Jack Kerouac Collection.
Included are:
Poetry for the Beat Generation
Blues and Haikus
Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation

I had found Kerouac almost impossible to read at times, especially his more stream-of-consciousness stuff, but when you hear him reciting in his own inimitable fashion it becomes sheer poetry! It's a lot like seeing Shakespeare performed as opposed to just reading him.

On CD, I believe my first purchase was Harlan Ellison reading his award-winning stories "A Boy and His Dog" and "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman".

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 24, 2022 9:22 pm

8-Track: only ever owned one, it came from my uncle. It was Tony Orlando and Dawn

Cassette: Taped a ton of music from the radio in the late 80s and early 90s, but don't recall ever owning a commercially produced tape

CD: Got 6 CD's for a penny each from BMG Music Service, let's see how many I can remember:
-Blues Traveler - Four
-Real McCoy - Another Night
-Primus - Brown Album
-Presidents of the United States of America (I think it was their debut album)
-Robert Palmer - Very Best of Robert Palmer
-INXS - The Greatest Hits

MP3 - Yes, I actually know the very first .mp3 I ever downloaded. I own my Napster collection to this day and just sorted the songs by date downloaded - and the first one? April 25, 2000: Sugar Ray - Every Morning

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:49 am

MATT1:

No, that is not it. It was called 'Hogan's Heroes Sing the Best of World War II'. It was Newkirk, Carter, Kinchloe, and LeBeau singing some songs of the era. Hogan, Klink, and Schultz were not involved with this one.

They were actually lousy singers, and not many of the LPs sold. But it is the only place where you can hear the words to the Hogan's Heroes these song. It came out in about 1968 or 1969 or so.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:01 am

paul8539 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:49 am
MATT1:

No, that is not it. It was called 'Hogan's Heroes Sing the Best of World War II'. It was Newkirk, Carter, Kinchloe, and LeBeau singing some songs of the era. Hogan, Klink, and Schultz were not involved with this one.

They were actually lousy singers, and not many of the LPs sold. But it is the only place where you can hear the words to the Hogan's Heroes these song. It came out in about 1968 or 1969 or so.
Journal and Courier
Lafayette, Indiana
01 Oct 1966, Sat

Hogan's Quartet Harmonizes on Set

As devotees of "Hogan's Heroes" well know by now, the four enlisted men of the title role are as Inventive and imaginative as they are funny. And they are just as inventive and imaginative off camera as they are on the screen every Friday night on CBS-TV.

The four Richard Dawson, Robert Clary, Larry Hovis and Ivan Dixon engage in all sorts of restless activity between shots on the H*** Desilu soundstage in Hollywood. They started a year ago with gin rummy games. Now it's singing.

Their, first professional venture, a record album entitled "Hogan's Heroes Sing the Best of World War II," arranged and conducted by Jerry Fielding for Sunset Records, is solid proof of the quartet's ability to sing as well as act and play gin rummy. . '

"What s so unusual about It?" Hovis asks innocently, eyebrow raised. "After all,' Bob, Dick and I all began our careers as nightclub performers. And Ivan is a natural-born bass. You put four performers together on a soundstage, don't give " them very many lines and they're going to start singing."

This season, however, they are going to have more lines and less time for singing. Or even card playing. Producer Ed Feldman, happily aware of the impression made by the four during the show's first season on the air, says he is going to "open things up a little" and give freer rein to their comedic talents. -

"I'm like the manager of a" baseball team," says Dodger fan Feldman.. "I have to get the best possible people for every position. It's obvious that our three co-stars Bob Crane, Werner Klemperer and John Banner are ideally cast but it's equally important that each of our supporting players be able to carry a show now and again."

Thus Dawson, Clary, Hovis and Dixon will find themselves spending more time on camera and less in front of a microphone. Which might spell the end of four promising singing careers at least for the time being.

(I didn't realize that a certain four letter word that starts with "h" is automatically formatted to H***. I'd seen that many times but didn't realize that it was automatic.) :)

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 am

Well that 1968 or 1969 album not on Apple iTunes.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:47 pm

My very first happenened in the back seat of her old man's Oldsmobile, in their garage, on a Sunday afternoon.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:16 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:47 pm
My very first happenened in the back seat of her old man's Oldsmobile, in their garage, on a Sunday afternoon.
Considering the section you're in, what was playing on the radio?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:49 am

Here is that 1968 or 1969 Hogan's Heroes album "Sing The Best Of World War II" (audio only) NOT on Apple iTunes. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... dod7iygwiF

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:35 pm

MATT1:

Yes, that was the one I was looking for. It is not on Spotify either.

Now, if I can just find the record at a record collector's show.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:53 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:35 pm
MATT1:

Yes, that was the one I was looking for. It is not on Spotify either.

Now, if I can just find the record at a record collector's show.
There are four available on eBay. Get yours now while supplies last!

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic