Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Don Henley-The Boys Of Summer

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Deleted User 15502

Don Henley-The Boys Of Summer

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 am

Very good 80s album. A total departure from The Eagles, Henley seemed a bit more daring on this album, whereas on " I can't stand still" he seemed to be holding on to some of what The Eagles were.

I've always liked the track " The Boys Of Summer", it sort of a coming age song IMO, but it's about going into being middle aged. " Out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac, a little voice inside my head said " don't look back you can never look back" .

I take it as being an idealist when your younger but hitting your early 40s, you realize some of the stuff you thought seemed ideal, doesn't work in the real world. Also, I take it as too, sort of selling yourself out or becoming "the man". Still, you can't totally let go of your past.

For the baby boomers it was more, giving up being hippies and protesting the war, to getting your life together, starting a family, and having a mortgage. For me, it's realizing it's not 1998 anymore, that people change or I changed. What I thought was funny when I was 24, at 41 it's pretty lame now and how the people I thought were cool, were honestly pretty boring. Still.. though holding onto what was and maybe looking back at it with rose colored glasses.

Ok... I went way out in the weeds here. 8o

matt1

Re: Don Henley-The Boys Of Summer

Post by matt1 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:32 am

In January of 1985, the late Casey Kasem who was on "American Top 40" on radio, he played The Grateful Dead song "Truckin'" (went to # 64 in December of 1971) (when he talked about the song "Boys Of Summer") which was their biggest hit (until "Touch Of Grey" their only Top 40 song which went to # 9 on September 26, 1987 in the Hot 100 Charts & their last swan song).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic