Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Get Off The Stage !!!

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Re: Get Off The Stage !!!

Post by matt1 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:40 pm

The Kingbees did "My Mistake" (1980) & "The Big Rock" (1981) but those were their only radio songs!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 pm

kager wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm
sfpcc wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:36 pm
Has anyone out there ever seen an opening act get booed of the stage. I've never seen it but I've heard a few stories, (The Clash opening for Who at the Silverdome for example.)
Same venue; different act, and - depending on who's relating the story - the 'artist' was booed, abused, or had 'items of endearment' tossed at him to get him off the stage...

It was nearly 40 years ago, during (one of what would become many) Rolling Stones' farewell tour in 1981 @ the Pontiac Silverdome. My altered memory had the crowd booing & throwing what appeared to be glass half-gallon jugs of vodka at Iggy Pop until he finally left and made way for Santana to take the stage and issue us some much-needed music prior to the main act.

I searched for, and found, other takes on the same event, which you may read here:

https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,460195,461775
I remember that too.

Detroit Free Press (12/2/81)

Iggy flops as a warm-up

He calls himself Iggy Pop, but Monday at the Silverdome, he was Iggy the Flop.

Warming up for the Rolling Stones is never any picnic, but the only good thing one can say about Iggy's brief onstage stint Monday was that he collected more garbage than your average refuse collector would in 28 minutes. In a night when things went generally well, Iggy didn't.

Hampered by muddied sound and a crowd impatient to see the main act, Iggy had two strikes against him. The Stones need two opening acts like an octopus needs another tentacle, and even a mellow crowd like the one at the Silverdome Monday night seemed to need a sacrificial lamb to soak up the frustrations of waiting in line.

But Iggy is, was and apparently always will be the lamb. Iggy seems a performer who can't break out of his old image as whipping boy; he is the man even sane rock fans love to hate.

Granted his new album, "Party," is chock full of listenable tunes, but they surely weren't listenable Monday. Prancing and dancing at the edge of the stage, he simply could not get into the crowd, and the boos were falling like the young drunks in the parking lot earlier in the day.

After a miserable 28 minutes, he left the stage with a less-than-sincere "thank you very much."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Saw Queen in early 1976 in Indianapolis, on their Night at the Opera tour. The opening act knew that the crowd wasn't there to see them, so they wrapped up their show by saying, "We'll do one more song and make way for the Queenies." Who was it? Bob Seger. I'm guessing that Seger wasn't opening for anybody in Detroit in 1976.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 pm
kager wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm
sfpcc wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:36 pm
Has anyone out there ever seen an opening act get booed of the stage. I've never seen it but I've heard a few stories, (The Clash opening for Who at the Silverdome for example.)
Same venue; different act, and - depending on who's relating the story - the 'artist' was booed, abused, or had 'items of endearment' tossed at him to get him off the stage...

It was nearly 40 years ago, during (one of what would become many) Rolling Stones' farewell tour in 1981 @ the Pontiac Silverdome. My altered memory had the crowd booing & throwing what appeared to be glass half-gallon jugs of vodka at Iggy Pop until he finally left and made way for Santana to take the stage and issue us some much-needed music prior to the main act.

I searched for, and found, other takes on the same event, which you may read here:

https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,460195,461775
I remember that too.

Detroit Free Press (12/2/81)

Iggy flops as a warm-up

He calls himself Iggy Pop, but Monday at the Silverdome, he was Iggy the Flop.

Warming up for the Rolling Stones is never any picnic, but the only good thing one can say about Iggy's brief onstage stint Monday was that he collected more garbage than your average refuse collector would in 28 minutes. In a night when things went generally well, Iggy didn't.

Hampered by muddied sound and a crowd impatient to see the main act, Iggy had two strikes against him. The Stones need two opening acts like an octopus needs another tentacle, and even a mellow crowd like the one at the Silverdome Monday night seemed to need a sacrificial lamb to soak up the frustrations of waiting in line.

But Iggy is, was and apparently always will be the lamb. Iggy seems a performer who can't break out of his old image as whipping boy; he is the man even sane rock fans love to hate.

Granted his new album, "Party," is chock full of listenable tunes, but they surely weren't listenable Monday. Prancing and dancing at the edge of the stage, he simply could not get into the crowd, and the boos were falling like the young drunks in the parking lot earlier in the day.

After a miserable 28 minutes, he left the stage with a less-than-sincere "thank you very much."
That's the one.

Brutal concert, brutal review for Iggy. Thanks for sharing!

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:00 am

I'm reading stories of how Gentle Giant, perhaps the proggiest of British prog bands, got booed off the stage when opening for then-labelmates Black Sabbath. Talk about a mismatch made in hell! :shock:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:12 am

30 years or so ago, Ted Nugent went on a political rant. The Wife and I along with a bunch of other concert goers just decided to leave. A real waste of money.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:11 am

Hard rock/metal fans are the absolute worst on opening bands. I saw Chevelle open for Anthrax at the House of Blues in Chicago in 2000 and people were throwing trash at them to the point the singer came down from the stage to confront fans about it. Also around then a nu-metal band called Endo opened for Megadeth at I think the Riviera in Chicago and nobody threw anything at them but one guy near the stage kept heckling them mercilessly yelling "Ecto-Plasm!"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:32 pm

HD74 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm
King-Bee's, Toledo Speedway Jam, early 80's. 3 songs I think.
Too bad, I liked them.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:04 pm

I saw the Rolling Stones in the early 80s at the LA Colesium. Opening act was booed mercilessly. Some short guy named Prince.

The censorship king from out of state.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:00 pm

Korn and Rob Zombie. The Palace. Some band called "Videodrone" opened. We booed them off the stage then cheered for them to come back out so we could boo them off again.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:02 am

The Pixies got boo off several times opening for U2's Zoo TV tour. It wasn't a great fit, and at that point in their careers, Pixies was the better band.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic