Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unique Edit Of "Hello It's Me"

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Ben Zonia

Unique Edit Of "Hello It's Me"

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Does anyone remember an edit of "Hello It's Me" by Todd Rundgren, where at they very end after the outro with the short organ riff, someone in the studio background says "There Goes Todd"?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Musicrewired

Re: Unique Edit Of "Hello It's Me"

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:47 am

Is that the album version from "Something/Anything?" ? There's studio talk found there. It also features the backing vocals tailing off right at the end as well.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:52 am

YIPES!!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 am

Yeah, that's there too. "I Saw The Light" was the lead single and other hit, months before "Hello It's Me" came out.

That album's about the same length as the White Album by the Beatles, and also still highly regarded today.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 am

"Something/Anything?" ranks at one of Rolling Stone magazine's "Top 500 Albums Of All Time" list!!

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 am

Ugh... Rolling Stone is such a pretentious rag, I cancelled my subscription back in the nineties. I still have the last issue I received around here somewhere. I'm pretty sure Arnold Schwarzenegger was on the cover LOL.

Anyway... their "Best of" lists are a bunch of malarkey compiled by snobs.

Thread Killer

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:40 pm

I've owned it. It's an amazing album.

I saw Todd Rundgren at the Ritz in 1995. The only song he did from Something Anything was Black Mariah.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:08 am

Rundgren's certainly deserving of Rock Hall consideration. That entity is, ironically enough, influenced by the publisher of that same magazine that promoted his classic album. Yet he's not in the Hall yet, and Whitney Houston is.

Todd performed "Black Mariah" on one tour with Ringo Starr, and "I Saw The Light" on another two tours, including in 2012, 40 years after "Something/Anything?" came out. He's shown that, of all of the albums he's done, this one's worth revisiting.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:19 am

My favorite Todd Rundgren might be from his first album Runt; Baby Lets Swing / The First Thing You Said / Untie My Hands, ("Laura, I saw you open in LA, There's something I've got to say.")

kager

Post by kager » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:28 am

The "Something/Anything?" album - cover & discs - took quite a beating at our place back in the day. Also enjoyed "Set Me Free" w/Utopia (I still believe that should have been a 'hit'), alongside his production chops w/many others. If there was a radio format designed to play all of TR's creations, it may have been termed AOTR (all over the road).
Musicrewired wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:08 am
Rundgren's certainly deserving of Rock Hall consideration. [snip] Yet he's not in the Hall yet, and Whitney Houston is.
Probably due to his participation in this. :barf

All kidding aside, I agree he's deserving and way overdue for the recognition. Considering just the RARHOF's purity factor, though (Whitney? Really?), I can see why it reportedly doesn't mean shlt to him.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 am

His last charting song was For The Want Of A Nail from 1989, (which is also an amazing song that should get more airplay.)

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:14 am

UP906 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 am
Ugh... Rolling Stone is such a pretentious rag, I cancelled my subscription back in the nineties. I still have the last issue I received around here somewhere. I'm pretty sure Arnold Schwarzenegger was on the cover LOL.

Anyway... their "Best of" lists are a bunch of malarkey compiled by snobs.
Yes. Rolling Stone is way worse than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Certain recording artists are conspicuous by their absence in both.

One artist/composer/producer was courted for an interview after 40+ years of ignoring him, when he reached a life goal and accomplishment that RS could no longer ignore. He basically told them it was too little too late.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

UP906

Post by UP906 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:18 am

Who was that?

Thread Killer

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Utopia's "Set Me Free" was actually a hit, peaking at #27 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1980.

I may be one of few, but I liked The New Cars, not as a continuation of The Cars itself, but as a Todd Rundgren project. The album's not bad, and the new songs are in the power pop vein that Todd's always excelled at, but so rarely did anymore by that time. Plus, Rundgren, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, Kasim Sulton and Prairie Prince are a great lineup, regardless of what they play.

Utopia, in its' pop rock incarnation rather than the prog rock one, was almost unmatched in its' abilities. All four members could and did sing lead, and had the production skill of Rundgren to put it all together. "Adventures In Utopia" and "Deface The Music" are full of memorable hooks and great playing. The latter was an homage to The Beatles, and it rivaled The Rutles as the best in that era's fab revisionist classics. They didn't sound like the Beatles, but they knew how to pay tribute as themselves. Todd, of course, had already recorded "Rain" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" in 1976, and continues to do Beatles songs in concert when he plays live.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:45 am

Utopia "I Just Want To Touch You" (from 1980 "Deface The Music") is one great song & reminds me of The Beatles. The song "Hammer In My Heart" (from 1982 self - titled) is also a great song!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic