Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The 27 Club vs. Recent Musical Celebrity Death Lifespan

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Ben Zonia

The 27 Club vs. Recent Musical Celebrity Death Lifespan

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 pm

What is the difference between the "27 Club" of Musical Celebrities and the ones who have recently died at a fairly normal age-Mac Davis 78, Helen Reddy 78, Tommy DeVito 92?

It seems like drugs like heroin and cocaine use might be the key. I don't doubt that the older ones might have done some weed or cocaine along the way, along with reckless sex, drinking, and gambling, but what saved them? It almost seems like 27 plus or minus is the life expectancy that really heavy drug use and really reckless lifestyle, brought on by a combination of such factors.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

moldyoldie

Re: The 27 Club vs. Recent Musical Celebrity Death Lifespan

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 pm
What is the difference between the "27 Club" of Musical Celebrities and the ones who have recently died at a fairly normal age-Mac Davis 78, Helen Reddy 78, Tommy DeVito 92?

It seems like drugs like heroin and cocaine use might be the key. I don't doubt that the older ones might have done some weed or cocaine along the way, along with reckless sex, drinking, and gambling, but what saved them? It almost seems like 27 plus or minus is the life expectancy that really heavy drug use and really reckless lifestyle, brought on by a combination of such factors.
Case in point, Keith Richards. :razz :lol It's time we start thinking about what kind of world we'll be leaving for him. :rollin

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic