Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Worst Christmas songs

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
radioandtventhusiast

Worst Christmas songs

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:14 pm

What do you think are the worst Christmas songs in history?

Deleted User 24

Re: Worst Christmas songs

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I worked a stint at Radio Shack in the late 1980s that included the Christmas holidays. Corporate ordered us to play the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album, and only that album, all day, every day, from the day after Thanksgiving through New Year's Day. To this day, I can't stomach them.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:51 pm

"Go Tell It On The Mountain" & "Feliz Navidad"!!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:58 pm
I worked a stint at Radio Shack in the late 1980s that included the Christmas holidays. Corporate ordered us to play the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album, and only that album, all day, every day, from the day after Thanksgiving through New Year's Day. To this day, I can't stomach them.
I actually like Manheim Steamroller, but I see exactly where you're coming from, being forced to hear the exact same songs for hours on end and days at a time.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 am

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:19 pm

I dislike most of them. But " I want a Hippopotamus For Christmas" takes the cake.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 pm

Seems like just about anyone can make a Christmas album. And no matter how bad it is, if it's by some well known personality, it will get played on the radio.

They don't have to be a well known singer, just someone well known. Could be a well known Reality Show personality, a well known talk show host, a well known hockey player or a well know pipe fitter.

Could even be Mariah Carey.

Doesn't matter. They'll play it.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:31 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 pm
Seems like just about anyone can make a Christmas album. And no matter how bad it is, if it's by some well known personality, it will get played on the radio.

They don't have to be a well known singer, just someone well known. Could be a well known Reality Show personality, a well known talk show host, a well known hockey player or a well know pipe fitter.

Could even be Mariah Carey.

Doesn't matter. They'll play it.
Christmas albums serve 2 useful purposes

1) helping fill contractual obligations to put out an agreed-upon number of albums.
2) cashing in and making a few bucks without much effort. There arent that many new Christmas songs being written. I'll bet the copyrights arent hard to work around for most of the popular standards.

They are quick cash grabs. Thats it. Why else would people who dont even celebrate Christmas ( noted Jewish performers Barbra Streisand and Kenny G) rush Christmas albums to market?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 pm

There is such a vast repertoire of great Christmas music already, we don't need any more. Much less the third rate mush they keep pumping out each year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic