Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Coming End Of Rock and Roll

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Ben Zonia

The Coming End Of Rock and Roll

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:03 pm

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

fuzzpower

Re: The Coming End Of Rock and Roll

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:36 pm

Some of the artists being considered rock is debatable, and others no way (Joni Mitchell rock? Seriously?). That being said, it’s just pointing out that musicians have finite lives just like we do, and new artists just don’t have the popularity. I see it around me- most kids and teens, even 20 somethings prefer rap or country (which is mostly pop with a twangy guitar and southern accent these days) or lame pop singers. Why is that? Bad songwriting? Lack of promotion? Lack of talent? Even guitar sales are down.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:21 pm

If one were to go back to 1967-73 Aretha Franklin's music would have been described as Soul and Rock and Roll. Joni Mitchell (even though I can't stand her music) was also called Rock and Roll. After all she was the writer of the song about the Rock and Roll Music Festival Woodstock. Both artists were played by radio stations at that time described as Rock and Roll (Top 40) and shunned by the MOR stations. Most markets didn't have any album stations during this period, and the ones that did, the album stations usually took a back seat in the ratings when compared to the Top 40 stations.
Rock and Roll also allegedly started in 1955, and there are a lot of artists in the 1955-70 era that wouldn't necessarily be considered Rock and Roll by today's standards, but they were Rock and Rollers in their day.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:10 am

Some of Joni Mitchell's favorite memories were from the time she spent in Michigan circa 1966 and 1967, when she briefly married Chuck Mitchell at his family's house on Tienken Rd., the Verona Apartments near Cass Ave. in Detroit, and her close friends in Flint where she played in their Coffee House on Lewis St., and she experienced an EF-1 tornado, along with, at various locations, Ed Joseph, who was self reportedly given numerous 45 RPM Records in lieu of pay by ARP in Owosso, Noble Graveline (a 1950s WBBC radio buddy of John Sinclair's, believe it or not) at WFDF, who briefly took cover at the studios with a 45 RPM record still running on the turntable, and myself. John Sinclair self reportedly stole numerous 45 RPM records from Hatfield's Records, before his arrest that inspired John Lennon's least memorable song ever. Give me 45 RPMs "Honey" and "MacArthur Park" ANY DAY, and never play that 33 RPM track "John Sinclair" atrocity again.

Joni Mitchell was NOT at Woodstock. The song was based on the Woodstock memories ex-Hollie, ex-BF, 45 RPM hitmaker Graham Nash, by then a member of 33 RPM Crosby Stills and Nash.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:31 pm
The same holds true about Aretha Franklin being in the Rock’n Roll Hall Of Fame What a bunch of garbage.
Her best known song is a reworked cover. It’s not even the best cover of the Otis Redding tune. I always thought she was overrated, but she is loved because she’s from here, and she’s dead. Death seems to bring more popularity to artists.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic