Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Mount Rushmore of American music

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Deleted User 24

The Mount Rushmore of American music

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am

Who would be on your Mount Rushmore of American music?

Here are the rules:

1. You must select four people. Not three, not five, just four.

2. If your choices include a musical group, pick the one member of that group who you think best represents them.

3. All choices must be Americans. I love Bob Marley, but he needs to be on a different mountain. Same for the Beatles.

I will post my choices after I figure out who they are.

moldyoldie

Re: The Mount Rushmore of American music

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:47 am

Very, very tough!

Woody Guthrie
John Philip Sousa
George Gershwin
Miles Davis

In the end I went with venerable composers and popularizers working in opposing genres as opposed to founders, mass media icons, or emergent innovators. The likes of Aaron Copland, Charlie Parker, Hank Williams, Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein, Chuck Berry, Richard Rodgers, Elvis Presley, W.C. Handy, Bob Dylan, John Coltrane, Scott Joplin, et al. had to be reluctantly culled.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:47 am
Very, very tough!

Woody Guthrie
John Philip Sousa
George Gershwin
Miles Davis

In the end I went with venerable composers and popularizers working in opposing genres as opposed to founders, mass media icons, or emergent innovators. The likes of Aaron Copland, Charlie Parker, Hank Williams, Duke Ellington, Leonard Bernstein, Chuck Berry, Richard Rodgers, Elvis Presley, W.C. Handy, Bob Dylan, John Coltrane, Scott Joplin, et al. had to be reluctantly culled.
Thanks. You just saved me 4 difficult decisions.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm

FWIW here's mine.

1. Elvis Presley. No real explanation needed. The dominant voice of the first decade of Rock and Roll.
2. Berry Gordy Jr. - Along with the British invasion in the mid 60's, provided dynamic R&B and Soul music out of Detroit/Motown that helped propel Top 40 radio into the giant that it was in the 60's.
3. Buddy Holly - Who knows if he'd be as popular a choice if he'd have lived a full life and maybe faded into the past as most singers from the 50's did, But his influence was felt in popular music for at least 2 dacades after his passing.
4. Dick Clark - I'm sure some people would argue this choice, but Dick is the guy who main-streamed Rock and Roll and brought it into the living rooms of America each and every day in the 50's and early 60's with American Band Stand. Then of course continued weekly into the 70's if memory serves me correctly. Without his promotion Rock and Roll may have died on the vine.

I'm sure there are plenty of other worthy contenders, but in my opinion, without these 4 and their contributions, we may still be listening to crooners in 2019. Let the debating begin.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 am

Dick Clark benefited from Payola scandals.

Rock and Rock was dying in the early 60s, in fact there were plenty of articles and reports stating that. The British bands changed that, not Dick Clark.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:17 am

While we're patiently waiting for Vic's promised choices and those of other music lovers here, I posed the same inquiry to my nearly 90 year-old dad who doesn't enjoy taxing his brain much these days. You may find his choices interesting, or at least mildly amusing.

Duke Ellington
John Philip Sousa
Frank Sinatra
Bing Crosby

He originally had Doris Day up on the mountain ("Que Sera, Sera" is one of his favorites), but amended that when I looked up at him and said, "You've gotta be kidding!"

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 am

Well, finally ...

Louis Armstrong
Robert Johnson
Hank Williams, Sr.
Chuck Berry

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 am
Well, finally ...

Louis Armstrong
Robert Johnson
Hank Williams, Sr.
Chuck Berry
Johnson was a good enough singer and guitar picker, but too derivative for my taste. I'd put Charley Patton, Leadbelly, or Skip James ahead of Johnson.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:06 am

Overall, it would be a tough decision. Even for certain genres, it would still be tough

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic